The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Looking for analysis of my weight lifting strategy please.

Hi, this is my first post. I'd like some of you guys to look at my lifestyle on lifting and nutrition to see if I'm on the right path. 1 Year ago I started lifting because I have a very fast metabolism and I hated being so thin. I was 5'11 and I weighed around 140. I was eating normally like any given person 3 times a day.

Like I said 1 year ago I decided I wanted to put on some lbs, so I began eating 5-6 times a day and working out in my home gym.

Today, Im happy to say im up to 155 and I gained around 17 lbs in the last 11 months. I want to be 175 in a few years, please look over what I'm doing and give suggestions:

My work out:
    Sunday Day 1: 1.5 hours Biceps and Back. I usually do atleast 10-15 machines and free weight exercises and alternate the body group.
    Monday Day 2: 1.5 hours Chest/Triceps/Shoulders. Again, alternating between the shoulder press, the fly, shoulder shruggs etc.
    Repeat Day 1 on Wednesday
    Repeat Day 2 on Thursday
    Friday Day 5: 1 hour of Leg/Ab and Cardio work.
    Saturday: Off/Rest

I usually go max weight, 8 reps. 5 Sets per excerise.
    Repeat.

My diet:
    Breakfast: 1 bowl of granola type cereal. 1 Cytogainer protein shake (2 scoops), 1 scoop ice cream, 1/2 serving yogurt, 6 oz milk.
    Snack (1.5 hr later) Few handful of cashews, a few stalks of celery with 2 servings peanut butter
    Lunch (1.5 hr later) Chicken/Rice/Vegetable stirfry
    Snack (1.5 hr later) Turkey on wheat with an apple
    --Enter Workout--
    Dinner (1.5 hr later) Same protein shake as for breakfast, minus the icecream.
    Snack (1.5 hr later before bed) Some random item, like a baked potato, some chicken quesadilas or beef.

I don't drink any soda, and I usually take in 3-5 glasses of water a day. I don't smoke and don't drink excessively. If I find myself not eating 4 or 5 times a day, I feel like im losing weight.

I also take Mega Man vitamin by GNC twice a day.

I joined 24 hour fitness (remember I was in a home gym for the last 11 months) last month.

I haven't been seeing a lot of weight increase of body increase since I joined a real gym, which surprised me. I've only gained 1-2 lbs in the last month at the new gym.

Lastly, I do feel tired a lot of the time due to working out so much and I am having pain in my left elbow/arm area when I curl for biceps. I have avoided all exercises causing pain to it, which has been happening for the last week now.

Thanks for reading, any recommendations or critique would be helpful! Basically I want to be a little bit bigger in the arm area, forearms and biceps especially. My legs are still twigs and I can't find the time to do a full work out on them more than once a week.

Tony
    Last edited by tonyridino; 04-16-2009 at 07:12 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    My legs are still twigs and I can't find the time to do a full work out on them more than once a week.
    Your current program has you working out five days a week, so clearly you do have time to work out your legs more, and you should.

Google "Starting Strength"; buy the book; do the program. In two months, I've put on 25 pounds of mostly muscle, raised my squat by 110 pounds, my deadlift by 130 pounds, my bench press by 50 pounds, my overhead press by 40 pounds, and my power cleans by 50 pounds. And these aren't atypical results for beginners who follow the program exactly and eat, eat, eat. And, yes, you are a beginner in terms of programming.

Your routine is pretty bad, especially if you want legs.
    Try this.
    Day 1: Chest/Tris
    Day 2: Legs/Abs
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Back/Bis
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: Legs/Shoulders/Abs
    Day 7: Rest

As for your diet, you're being too picky with what you eat. Don't measure it, just eat it! Eat 3000-4000 cals a day!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Starting Strength, WBB1.1, etc. - pre-made routines that are proven to work. I'd do Starting Strength.
    As for your diet, it's too measured out and appears to be small. EAT. At 5'11" and 140, you're built like I used to be, but heavier. Instead of increasing each meal's cal count, add another meal or 2.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    Your routine is pretty bad, especially if you want legs.
    Try this.
    Day 1: Chest/Tris
    Day 2: Legs/Abs
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Back/Bis
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: Legs/Shoulders/Abs
    Day 7: Rest

As for your diet, you're being too picky with what you eat. Don't measure it, just eat it! Eat 3000-4000 cals a day!
    2 leg days is overkill. You can't have a full bodybuilding style leg day twice a week, your knees wouldn't be able to handle that.

Wow...

That's alot of volume...

I'm confused though... Do you workout until you get to 1.5 hours or do you go for 5 sets of 8 reps and end when you finish everything?

That's a long time to be doing biceps...

Well, any muscle really, but biceps in particular.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    2 leg days is overkill. You can't have a full bodybuilding style leg day twice a week, your knees wouldn't be able to handle that.
    That doesn't make sense. Of course your knees can handle it. Nothing wrong with working legs twice a week. And the second leg day won't be as intense as the initial, since you'll work shoulders in the same time frame.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Depends on how much volume you do, but if you follow Jay Cutler or Branch Warren's leg workout you probably can't. I train legs twice a week(it is every other week) harder than 90% of this board and my knees are just fine. Again it depends on how you structure it, so not completely disagreeing with you Og, just saying it can be done.

I guess the real question is what are your goals? Size? Strength? Both?
    There's no need for us to argue about the routine until you tell us what you're looking for.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Depends on how much volume you do, but if you follow Jay Cutler or Branch Warren's leg workout you probably can't. I train legs twice a week(it is every other week) harder than 90% of this board and my knees are just fine. Again it depends on how you structure it, so not completely disagreeing with you Og, just saying it can be done.
    Yeah, well if you follow DC you are basically doing the volume of one typical leg workout spread out over 2 days in a week. I'm talking about a traditional high intensity high volume bodybuilder workout.

You can't do something like:

Extensions 1-2x8-12
    Back Squat 2x4-8
    Leg Press 2x4-8
    Leg Curl 1-2x8-12
    GHR 2-4 sets

Twice a week.
    Last edited by OGROK; 04-17-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Yeah, well if you follow DC you are basically doing the volume of one typical leg workout spread out over 2 days in a week. I'm talking about a traditional high intensity high volume bodybuilder workout.

You can't do something like:

Extensions 1-2x8-12
    Back Squat 2x4-8
    Leg Press 2x4-8
    Leg Curl 1-2x8-12
    GHR 2-4 sets

Twice a week.
    Not for any long period time with maximal weights. Agreed.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the input guys.

My goals are weight and size of course, the weight I put on seems to go straight to muscle since I don't store a whole lot of fat since I'm so thin.

For my workouts, its usually 2 muscle groups, 5 sets of 8 reps for about an hour and half. I'm usually all over the gym, probably 60% on machines and 40 on free weights. I have a real hard time steadily free weights, such as the bench. I can bench about 180 on my home gym with stability, and I'm having trouble lifting 125 on the bar since the damn things sways all over the place.

Wannabebig Member
    I assume my problem is my lack of technique. I'm usually all over the gym lifting tons of different things.

I'm going to pick up starting strength...I haven't ventured into dead lift or any of those core exercises...a bit intimidated.

How hard is it for a high metabolism guy who eats all day long, works out all week to gain 15 lbs? Realistically? I feel like I should be putting on more than I am.

Daddy K.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyridino View Post
    thanks for the input guys.

My goals are weight and size of course, the weight I put on seems to go straight to muscle since I don't store a whole lot of fat since I'm so thin.

For my workouts, its usually 2 muscle groups, 5 sets of 8 reps for about an hour and half. I'm usually all over the gym, probably 60% on machines and 40 on free weights. I have a real hard time steadily free weights, such as the bench. I can bench about 180 on my home gym with stability, and I'm having trouble lifting 125 on the bar since the damn things sways all over the place.
    A year of weightlifting and 180 that is all yo can bench? You need drastic changes if you wanna get anywhere worth your while. Starting Strength is perfect for a beginner or novice. Scrap that routine you had before.

Daddy K.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyridino View Post
    I assume my problem is my lack of technique. I'm usually all over the gym lifting tons of different things.

I'm going to pick up starting strength...I haven't ventured into dead lift or any of those core exercises...a bit intimidated.

How hard is it for a high metabolism guy who eats all day long, works out all week to gain 15 lbs? Realistically? I feel like I should be putting on more than I am.
    It's not hard, your just not eating enough. Up your intake of calories alot. Eat anything and everything. Simple as that.