The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Why is it okay to squat 3x a week but not good to _____..

There are a lot of routines that have you squatting 3x a week but it's discouraged to do bench 3x a week or curl 3x a week (besides the fact that there's no benefit of having huge biceps except to impress women)

do legs need less time to recover/grow?
    is there a good reason besides "big legs > big arms"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I dont presume to be an expert, but I think its something to do with the hormones (pheromones?) created in your leg muscles feeding your other smaller muscles and aiding with growth and recovery?

I dont squat nearly enough

If you're benching heavy 3x a week then you're not doing other **** you can and should be doing.

Im no expert, or novice maybe, but I remember hearing that your legs can endure a lot more work being that they are used to holding up your body weight and carrying it around all the time.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

Your hips can handle a lot more stress than your shoulders. That doesn't mean that you can squat 3x/week heavy however...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

It seems to me that if you can squat heavy 3 times a week you must not be trying very hard.
    Last edited by OGROK; 04-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Legs are fast recovery muscles for obvious reasons. Thus, they can be put under stress more often without much harm. Chest, on the other hand, does not recover as quickly. If you are working out with any intensity your chest should stand twice a week with proper recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by skimmilk68 View Post
    There are a lot of routines that have you squatting 3x a week but it's discouraged to do bench 3x a week or curl 3x a week (besides the fact that there's no benefit of having huge biceps except to impress women)

do legs need less time to recover/grow?
    is there a good reason besides "big legs > big arms"
    Squatting 3 times per week is mainly for beginners. It's because your squat normally increases faster than your bench will (for most people anyway), therefore it's easier for beginners to make a linear progress.

I'm a big arms > big legs kinda guy, I train to impress women, people actually look down on me for that for some weird reason but I'll admit it, I don't care about my squat or deadlift, I care about my bench, pull-ups, curls, presses, and sit ups. I train to make ladies look at me and go "wow". I'm old enough to know better, yet still too young to care.
    The greater the obstacle, the greater the achievement.

2014 Goals: Bench- 335 | Squat- 425 | Deadlift- 475 | Weight: 205

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - Philippians 4:13

I train legs 3x per week but I only do 5 working sets of squats.
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

Quote Originally Posted by ct67_72 View Post
    Im no expert, or novice maybe, but I remember hearing that your legs can endure a lot more work being that they are used to holding up your body weight and carrying it around all the time.
    That's what I was thinking...but I do not think it will be good to go heavy all the time, maybe like on the Sheiko routines.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MVP View Post
    Squatting 3 times per week is mainly for beginners. It's because your squat normally increases faster than your bench will (for most people anyway), therefore it's easier for beginners to make a linear progress.

I'm a big arms > big legs kinda guy, I train to impress women, people actually look down on me for that for some weird reason but I'll admit it, I don't care about my squat or deadlift, I care about my bench, pull-ups, curls, presses, and sit ups. I train to make ladies look at me and go "wow". I'm old enough to know better, yet still too young to care.
    Everybody works out to look better for the ladies. But as soon as you tell another weightlifter you bench 305 but only squat 135, you will immediately be a joke. Now, the other aspect of weightlifting is competition and I want to be better than the other guy at everything. But hey, if your just in it for the looks, you are indeed a curl/sit up guy.
    6 foot 4, 220
    17 years old as of Oct 8th
    Bench: 265
    Powerclean: 290
    Squat: 415

Deadlifts 3x/week will burn most people out. Next best, is squatting 3x/week. You can bench/curl or whatever you want 3x/week if you base your program around doing that. It works and is the basis of all specialization routines. For beginners-intermediates, it's best to specialize on the squat and build around that.

Rippetoe says as long as you are making linear progress then there is no reason not to squat 3x a week. As long as the plates are piling up you should keep on doing it. When the plates stop piling up (and you KNOW your diet is in check) then it may be time to think about switching to a program that has you squatting 2x a week.

I started out (no joke!) struggling with 135 squat for reps. With a lot of squats and a lot of milk (lol) and meat and other calories my squat slowly went up (over 2 years) until it got to 225. I think I could have continued on past that by adding more calories but I honestly just got bored with it. Point is, you can make a LOT of linear progress by squatting 3x a week!

Read Starting Strength and Practical Programming! they are awesome books.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 04-05-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MVP View Post
    I don't care about my squat or deadlift, I care about my bench, pull-ups, curls, presses, and sit ups.
    a bit contradictory to you're signature, isn't it?
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Quote Originally Posted by big joe View Post
    Legs are fast recovery muscles for obvious reasons. Thus, they can be put under stress more often without much harm. Chest, on the other hand, does not recover as quickly. If you are working out with any intensity your chest should stand twice a week with proper recovery.
    Joe,

The legs do not recovery faster.

Larger muscles, such as the legs, take longer to recovery.

Smaller muscles recover faster than larger muscles.

Dr Fred Hatfield has addressed this in "Finding The Idea Training Split".
    http://drsquat.com/content/knowledge...training-split
    Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 04-05-2009 at 11:48 AM.

[QUOTE=skimmilk68;2117332]There are a lot of routines that have you squatting 3x a week but it's discouraged to do bench 3x a week or curl 3x a weekQUOTE]

Skim,

This does not make sense. Large muscles usually take longer to recover than smaller muscle.

Thus, mosts individuals could probably bench press more often than they squatted.

Dr Fred Hatfield goes into this in "Finding The Ideal Training Split".

Kenny Croxdale

Great post, Kenny. You guys should read it.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    I started out (no joke!) struggling with 135 squat for reps. With a lot of squats and a lot of milk (lol) and meat and other calories my squat slowly went up (over 2 years) until it got to 225. I think I could have continued on past that by adding more calories but I honestly just got bored with it. Point is, you can make a LOT of linear progress by squatting 3x a week!

You think 90 pounds in two years is a lot of progress?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    [QUOTE=Kenny Croxdale;2118431]
    Quote Originally Posted by skimmilk68 View Post
    There are a lot of routines that have you squatting 3x a week but it's discouraged to do bench 3x a week or curl 3x a weekQUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"][i]Skim,

This does not make sense. Large muscles usually take longer to recover than smaller muscle.

Thus, mosts individuals could probably bench press more often than they squatted.

Dr Fred Hatfield goes into this in "Finding The Ideal Training Split".

The point about having people squat three times a week as opposed to benching three times a week, is to get people to focus on the muscles/exercises that will benefit them the most in the long run.

AJFEI because a routine calls for squatting three times a week does not mean that you must go 100% all out every time.

Likewise just because you might be able to bench press more times then you squat, does not mean you should do it.

If someone is going to do an exercise 3x a week, he'd likely see better gains by squatting than benching...assuming of course that it is properly structured and monitored. Among strongmen and bodybuilders, the old-timers slogan was "Squats and Milk". It wasn't "Bench and Milk"...and probably for a very good reason.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 04-08-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    Rippetoe says as long as you are making linear progress then there is no reason not to squat 3x a week. As long as the plates are piling up you should keep on doing it. When the plates stop piling up (and you KNOW your diet is in check) then it may be time to think about switching to a program that has you squatting 2x a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    You think 90 pounds in two years is a lot of progress?
    read the post damn
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    [QUOTE=Songsangnim;2119930]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post

The point about having people squat three times a week as opposed to benching three times a week, is to get people to focus on the muscles/exercises that will benefit them the most in the long run.

AJFEI because a routine calls for squatting three times a week does not mean that you must go 100% all out every time.

Likewise just because you might be able to bench press more times then you squat, does not mean you should do it.

If someone is going to do an exercise 3x a week, he'd likely see better gains by squatting than benching...assuming of course that it is properly structured and monitored. Among strongmen and bodybuilders, the old-timers slogan was "Squats and Milk". It wasn't "Bench and Milk"...and probably for a very good reason.
    this
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_H View Post
    read the post damn
    I read the post. I asked him if he believed 90 pounds in two years to be a lot of progress. Adding that the progress was slow doesn't change whether that's a lot of progress or not. Since he is advocating for squatting three times a week, based on his results, I think my question is pretty basic. Personally, if I was a newer lifter and saw someone backing a routine because they put on 90 pounds in two years, I wouldn't look too highly at that program. Especially when that person was also a beginner. Considering it was a question for someone else, not sure why you felt the need to chime in, but thanks for your contribution.
    Last edited by Mike G; 04-08-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Matt Wright
    Squatting 3 times a week, and having 3 leg days a week are two totally different things. If you can't do 3x5 of squats three times a week (while making linear progress), then you are a little b1tch. I was doing that **** with bad knees and back pain, not to mention a hernia. Cry babies.

Seriously. If you are squatting 3 times a week, I seriously doubt you are doing any assistance work, which is fine for the kind of person doing that kind of routine.

You can't argue with results, and there are quite a few starter routines out there that have you do squats 3 days a week.
    Injured.

I read that article and it seemed to make sense all the way up until I read the recommended rep ranges.
    "Slow gainers often benefit most from 10 or more sets of 15-20 reps"
    "Average gainers often benefit most from 5-8 sets of 10-12 reps"
    "Fast gainers often benefit most from 3-5 sets of 4-8 reps done explosively"

I think whether your a slow gainer or fast gainer, nobody needs to be doing 10 or more sets of 15-20. That is just a ridiculous amount of volume. Even 5 of 10-12 is about the most I've seen or heard recommended by accomplished lifters. With the exception being something like GVT.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

[QUOTE=Songsangnim;2119930]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post

Song,

1) You can squat three times a week, if you don't go heavy.

2) Just because you can bench three times a wee, does not mean you should.

By the same token, just because you can squat three times a week doesn't mean you should.

3) Squatting three times a week does not insure better gains.

4) To make gains, compound exercise that employ large muscle groups are on of the keys.

While squats and/or deadlifts are key exercises for the lower body. "Upper Body Squat" exercise are the bench press, dips, bent over rows, lat pulldown, etc.

Two keys to making progress is intensity, which you eluded to with, "assuming of course that it is properly structured and monitored."

Another key is recovery, which you eluded to as well.

As Hatfield noted, faster recovery occurs with smaller muscle groups vs large muscle groups. Hatfield list other factors that dictate recovery time.

Kenny Croxdale