Thread: Straps with hooks?

Banned

Straps with hooks?

Potential noob question, I was doing rack pulls in the gym the other day and some guy hands me a set of straps that have a metal hook attached to them. Basically, you velcro the straps on your wrist and loop the hooks on the bar, allowing you to lift the weight without gripping the bar.

I was able to pull 40 more pounds with the straps, but it beat up my wrists to ****, and quite frankly, they seem kinda dangerous. Do you guys ever use these or are they useless?

I tried them once, years ago and didn't like them. Just to make sure (I guess I'm a slow learner), I tried them a couple of months later. I still didn't like them and threw them in the trash. Straps are OK, but you should try to do as much as possible without them or hooks or any grip aid like that.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 04-13-2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

StrengthFromAboveMinistry Benny Jackson's Avatar
    Wrist straps/hooks are dangerous if you ask me... I was doing power shrugs with regular straps over a month ago and the pisiform bone (its a carpal bone) in my palm popped. It still protrudes further than the bone in my other hand, but luckily it only hurts slightly now.

But I have used straps for years, with more weight, with no problems. They were a very thick and wide set of straps, I have been using skinny bodybuilder style straps recently for my assistance stuff... Just very carefully.

Do your pulls with chalk, no straps!
    I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever. Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever. (Psalm 145:1-2)

I would stay away from the hooks. The only time that I would use them would be if you had some kind of hand injury.

They are not made to support very heavy loads and it is almost impossible to abort a lift with them on.

Regular straps are your best bet - I use APT straps and have been very happy with them.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Ahhh! trow those in the garbage! I had a pair like 10 years ago, the only thing I found them useful for was to do pull ups without wrapping my thumb around the bar. Did try to do heavy shrugs with them once and felt like they were gonna dislocate my wrist.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total