The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Maximus and light training to gain SOME weight?

I want to know if it is a bad idea to take Maximus (I am trying to gain weight) and only do minor workout of ab crunches, pushups, and pullups along with cardio (I play basketball full court 2 hours x 4 or 5 days a week). Will this make me get a gut or should it be good enough of a meal replacement for me? I am currently 6 feet and 134 pounds (severely underweight). I am trying to get to the 140-145 range by 8 months hopefully. My diet is really bad (I eat cereal for breakfast a light lunch, and heavy dinner of chicken or beef with rice and veggies. (no snacks in between).

What are some other snacks/meals I should incorporate to try to gain some weight. I know people say just eat eat and eat..but I need some more tips. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You can make it to 145 in a month if you eat more. For breakfast I would go with eggs and oatmeal with some green tea and maybe some fruit. Have a protein rich snack between breakfast and lunch, something like Maximus could be put here, but I think you just need more food right now. So maybe a can of tuna or yogurt or cottage cheese plus some more oatmeal. Lunch should be some type of meat, a carb source like brown rice or the such, and some veggies, another snack between lunch and dinner, dinner you are right on with, and then eat something else with protein before bed. This is just a basic example of how you could eat everyday to gain weight. From there you will need to add or decrease calories based on goals. My question is, why on wannabebig, a strength training website, if you don't strength train? Do you plan to at some point or did you in the past?
    Last edited by joey54; 04-12-2009 at 08:21 AM.

You need to take a look at your diet for sure. MAXIMUS would be a great tool to help you gain weight.

Here are some suggestions, eat these every day:

steak (all kinds), whole milk, pork, chicken, nuts, peanut butter, eggs, oatmeal, etc. Eat until you are full, take 3 more big bites, then eat like this again 3 hours later.

Playing basketball for 2 hours a day 5 x a week is going to make it pretty hard for you to gain because you are burning so many calories.

You might want to take a look at a different routine, you aren't going to gain muscle doing situps and chins only. You need to be squatting and deadlifting.

Try this: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/r...roved-routine/
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the food ideas. I can cut the basketball down to 3x a week for 1-1:30 hour max.

The other question I had was if I should take the full serving of maximus all at once or spread it out throughout the day. I can handle the full serving but then I get really full and don't want to eat after that. And am I suppose to take it everyday even if I don't workout on that day?

I think its more of a mental thing that i have to find the time to eat and lift. Reason I am not working out at a gym is because I don't have access to one for a few months. I plan on starting back up at the gym soon as I was making good progress and gaining.

I plan on doing weights at home and sticking with the basic pushup/pullup/crunches and keep me gym ready until I am able to go back to the gym in 2-3 months.

You can afford to drink the whole serving.

If you really want to gain weight, eat. Doesn't matter how bloated you feel, you have to eat more to stretch your stomach.

You aren't really going to see any progress without a gym to be completely honest.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    I understand the gym is vital to gaining muscle/strength. I am committed to joining one as soon as I can. In the mean time, I'll have to eat as much as I can and do my home workouts to the max.

Thanks for the tips/info.

Banned
    not to sound harsh or anything. but it says you have been a member since 2 years ago. have you been lifting since then? if you are only 6'0 130 i would up the calories by 100 pounds and make sure your hitting at least 140 grams of protein.

Banned
    same here man. for breakfast i eat 5 eggs, 2 slices of wheat bread, 16 oz of milk and a protein bar. it leaves me feeling full for 4 hours. then i eat a 1k calories subway sandwhich, and wait 3 more hours and have a half serving of weight gainer, then an hour later have the other half. i finish my day with a few slices of bread or if im not feeling sick from all the food ill make a pb sandwhich and down some milk. ive been lifting for 4 years and am only 6'2 165 pounds, i need to scarf down the food. i just started taking my diet seriously this weekk. diet is very important for size. however you could get strong w/o it.

why would you do "Minor" anything?

If you cant be bothered to do it right, then dont waste your time.

What are you trying to acheive? results from minor effort combined with a supplement?

Try EATING and WORKING out ... and dont worry about supps, until your doing the last 2 things i mentioned properly.
    Last edited by Rodzilla; 04-21-2009 at 03:29 AM.
    Don't pick on the weak, its immoral... Never antagonise the strong, its stupid

5'11 190lbs

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Read the definition of supplement. You should supplement your good diet with a good supplement. No sense in half assing one and relying on the other. Not to mention you need to train hard. That's just a given.