The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Matt Wright

Bench Form/Speed Check

I took some vids of myself today to self-check my form, and I have noticed quite a few things I need to work on. Mostly, my set-up and my leg drive. But I figured that you guys might have some more advices for me.

This was DE day and my max is 230. I am also not sure if I'm pressing fast enough. I know I'm too slow on the decent, but that's because I'm working on my form still.

These are just some random sets. Sorry for the long set-ups. I'm still getting used to the powerlifting form.

Video
    skip to 0:28
    Video
    skip to 0:11
    Video
    skip to 0:16
    Video
    skip to 0:35

This one is just I decided to post for amusement. Like I said, I wasn't planning on posting any videos, but I figured I could use the advice. This one is the last set of DB presses, and my set-up was a little goofy. When I looked at the vid later, I laughed my ass off at myself! It's the first part of the vid that is funny. The last part is just me struggling through the last reps, as my hernia was starting to hurt worse midset. Feel free to make fun of me.
    Video
    Last edited by Beefcaker; 04-14-2009 at 09:50 PM.
    Injured.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

umm, I think you forgot to include the videos

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Matt Wright
    Fixed
    Injured.

Good stuff BC!

Your speed looks good. Try and move up to 155 next week and see how that moves

Are you doing 8 sets of triples? Make sure you vary your grips as well.

I can see where the pressure may be being put on your herniated disk with that bench being so high. Try and put some plates under your feet, see if that helps.

Overall though, your form is pretty good

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Matt Wright
    Thank you. I appreciate it very much.

I kind of thought I might be slow? haha. I was doing 8 sets of 3, but once I accidentally did 2. I also forgot about changing hand positions. Next time, I guess. I'm still doing the slow decent for now, but the whole set is supposed to be fast, correct? boom boom boom, right? I ask, because I've also read that a slow decent is okay, but I'd rather do whatever is most effective.
    Last edited by Beefcaker; 04-14-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    Injured.

Not bad! How long have you been training so far?

I agree with travis, your bench is pretty high off the ground. Try putting some plates underneith so you can get better leg drive and hopefully take some pressure off that hernia.

Good speed though on your triples. Advice for DB pressing. Have the DB's seated on your knees, while your sitting at the end of the bench. Then as you lean back, kick them up into place. That way your not wiggling all over the bench trying to get into position
    Last edited by Detard; 04-15-2009 at 08:27 AM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Speed looked ok to me. IMO, yes, the speed on the descent should be fast as well, but that will come after you get used to it.

Is it me or the vid angle, but not only did the bench look high..it looked like it was in a slight incline. Is that as flat as it gets? Maybe its just me...it is early in the morning lol

A tip here though, when you push on your speed sets...you want to push all the way through the ROM, but you were pushing a little past that and the weight was bouncing back down after lockout. Right now it wont be a problem, but if you keep doing it, it will end up hurting your shoulders.

Nice work though....
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Matt Wright
    The vid is at an angle. But I will check the incline with a level to be sure. I will probably need to get some more mats now. You think a 25lb under the feet would suffice?

Yeah, the dumbbell thing was really goofy. I know how to do the knee kick-up thing, but I have to do some weird stuff at home until I get some better collars. I only do DE days at home, so that I have a spotter on ME days at the gym. With the squeeze-collar on there, it really gets in the way of the knees. If you look close, you'll see I'm trying to get it on my knee but it's caught on the pad. I was just like F-it, and dropped back. I didn't realize my head would be hanging off though. ha

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    A tip here though, when you push on your speed sets...you want to push all the way through the ROM, but you were pushing a little past that and the weight was bouncing back down after lockout. Right now it wont be a problem, but if you keep doing it, it will end up hurting your shoulders.
    Thanks for the advice man. The last thing i need is more injuries!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesbench View Post
    Not bad! How long have you been training so far?
    I started "lifting heavy" last summer, but I was still training like a bodybuilder. Then I had to lay off the weights completely for quite a while. I didn't start trying to be a powerlifter until about a few months ago. This was my first week of WSBB, and my first DE day of anything, ever. I must say that powerlifting is much more satisfying, and I really feel much better about it. I don't feel like I'm just training for vanity. I'm training for greatness...

Thanks again guys for all of the advice. I will definitely use all of it.
    Last edited by Beefcaker; 04-15-2009 at 05:24 PM.
    Injured.