Thread: Firefighter strength/endurance routine

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Firefighter strength/endurance routine

I am a firefighter, currently volunteer in two relatively busy companies, and I am taking the next couple of tests coming up for paid companies. I work out a few times a week, but recently I have hit a plateau. I was wondering if anyone has heard of any good firefighter related workouts or would be able to help me out making my own. Obviously my goals are raw strength and endurance, and I do not need to focus on size or definition. My current workout is as follows:

Day 1

BB Bench 4x5
    Incline Bench 3x7
    Pec. Flys- 2x8
    Decline Pec. Flys 2x8
    Incline Pec. Flys 2x8
    Tri. Pulldowns- 3x6

Day 2

Chin Ups (3 sets until failure)
    Pull ups (2 sets until failure)
    Wide grip chin ups (1 set)
    Close grip chin ups (1 set)
    Dead lifts 3x5
    BB Rows 3x8
    Shrugs 3x6
    Bicep curls 3x8
    Lateral BB raises

Day 3 is a repeat of day 1
    Day 4 is a repeat of day 2
    Days 5,6, and 7 are days off

Following each workout I do a few sets of decline sit ups and back extensions, then either bike, jog, or run bleachers for 20 min.

I try to keep the breaks in between sets very short, and I usually complete the lifting portion of my workout in 30-45 min.

I know it's a lot to ask, but any critique/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    For your goals, thats not a bad setup. You'd be better off doing 1 set of flyes on day 1, or none at all. It's too much volume to be doing 3 different types of flyes.

The pull day doesn't look bad. As long as you can handle all of that volume.
    I'd say the only real worry is too much volume. It's good to work towards muscular endurance but sometimes too much volume can be bad on your body and CNS.

Overall good routine. I myself am looking toward going to a fire academy in Orlando, FL once i graduate.
    17 years old
    6'1 243
    Best lifts:
    Bench - 355x1, 350x2
    Squat - 430x1, 405x4
    Clean & Jerk - 240

what i've heard. your better off training like how the Strongman comp people do. tire flips, dragging a sled, sand bags and run up and down stairs type stuff. but also train in the gym too.
    Run? Are you crazy? I wouln't even run for the dinner bell! I don't remember seeing running as a part of Push/Pull.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks guys, when it gets nice out I do throw on an air bottle and run the bleachers, ladder raises, hose drags... I'm just getting started with that kind of thing, I'm just trying to focus on making sure my gym routine is the best way to do what I want to do while i'm in there

No Squats or Deadlifts? what if you gotta move heavy stuff thats laying on the floor out of the way to find that 300lbs guy and carry him down the stairs?

ohh wait you do have deadlifts...how about squats?
    Last edited by evilxxx; 04-14-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Wannabebig New Member
    it's all about the drag

yes... but you do need strong legs to drag and a good back and grip...I guess it would be good for a firefighter to train like a strongman like it was mentioned above.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

There is deadlifts in the program, halfway through day 2. I'd suggest moving them to the 1st or 2nd movement of the workout so you can hit them with as much energy as possible.
    I would add squats in there, strong legs are always going to come in handy.
    Get rid of the 3 different fly variations and through in some decent shoulder pressing.

And of course if you are willing to move away from the traditional mode of training, Crossfit is being used to great success by a great number of those in the emergency and armed services...
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.