Thread: Pain in bicep(s)

Pain in bicep(s)

Lately whenever I squat (or do GMs) with a regular bar and get over say 5 plates, I develop a deep ache in my left arm and sometimes both, in the bicep area. If I bench within the next 2 days it will flare-up again and completely shut my arm down and the pain gets so bad that I have to wait about 15 minutes for it to subside.I've gotten to where I rarely use a regular bar to squat with and use the safety squat bar to avoid this.Is this bicipital tendonitis and what can I do to avoid this other than squatting with the safety squat bar? It really worries me as I don't want to squat in my next meet only to have this b.s. happen and affect my bench.I do no more than 3 sets of direct bicep work a week,mainly in the form of hammer curls.Any input on this would be greatly appreciated as I love to squat.I know Louie speaks of the Westside crew rarely ever using a regular bar to squat with due to bicipital tendonitis and the stress it puts on the shoulders.
    "Headed down the highway, sign has three inverted 9's"

Seeking sponsorship through ResMed

Where is the pain in your biceps? If it is near the elbow then it could be tendonitis, but if it is a pain that is running down your arm then that sounds like it might be a nerve that is being compressed.

Is your left arm typically the "under" grip when deadlifting?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Where is the pain in your biceps? If it is near the elbow then it could be tendonitis, but if it is a pain that is running down your arm then that sounds like it might be a nerve that is being compressed.

Is your left arm typically the "under" grip when deadlifting?
    The pain runs down my arm and my left arm is the overhand when I deadlift.You might be on to something with the nerve issue as I dealt with some pinched nerves last summer that caused my to take a few weeks off from training and they were stemming from my neck.
    "Headed down the highway, sign has three inverted 9's"

Seeking sponsorship through ResMed

At the corner of 1st & 1st getting there's Avatar
    It sounds like, from what you are describing, that you might have some nerve impingement/compression that is affecting your left arm. If I were you I'd meet with a neurologist. Anytime there might be nerve involvement in relation to sports we always tell our patients to see a neurologist instead of the orthopod.

-Joe