Thread: Modified German Volume Training - Hypertrophy Program

Hybrid View

Modified German Volume Training - Hypertrophy Program

I wrote this program for someone and figured that it could be a valuable hypertrophy routine that people on this site could utilize. This is based off a german volume training (GVT) program with a bit of a twist; cycling the days when GVT is done to enable better recovery.

I would tweak the plan based on which bodyparts you wanted to focus on and where you felt that you needed the most work. For instance this program can be altered to designate a specific day for any bodypart, add in direct deltoid work, add in deadlifts, etc.

A workout week for that program might look something like this:

Monday: Back & Traps - GVT for pulldowns or rows, accessory work.
    Tuesday: Chest - GVT for incline/flat barbell/dumbell press, accessory.
    Wednesday: Off - Rest
    Thursday: Legs - GVT for Squats/Leg Press, accessory.
    Friday: Biceps & Triceps - GVT for curls/dips/close grip/pushdowns, accessory.
    Saturday & Sunday: Off - Rest

Now this is just for your GVT work; each week you are only doing 1-2 GVT days.

What I am thinking is that you can alternate the GVT from week to week for Friday (arms) and then pick one of the other bodyparts and hit GVT that week (so either chest, back, or legs).

This would be an example training cycle:

Week 1:

Monday: Back & Traps - 10 x 10 (GVT) for Pulldowns, Accessory = Choices of rows, chins, hammer strength, shrugs (low intensity)
    Tuesday: Chest - 3 sets of 5-8 reps with one incline and one flat movement, one barbell and one dumbell. Accessory - pec dec, crossovers, flys, machines.
    Thursday: Legs - 4 sets of 4-12 reps squats, 2 sets of 10 on various machines including hack squat, leg extension, leg curl, leg press, front squat, stiff leg deadlift, etc.
    Friday: Biceps & Triceps - 10 x 10 (GVT) for Skull Crushers, Acessory work focused on the other muscle group; 2 sets of some of the following movements to include 6-8 total sets - preacher curls, alternating db curls, barberll curls, machine curls, spider curls, hercules curls, hammer curls.

Week 2:

Monday: Back & Traps - 3 sets of 5-8 reps with chins, rows, hammer strength. Accessory = 2 sets of 10-12 reps with shrugs, pulldown, etc.
    Tuesday: Chest - 10 x 10 (GVT) with primary movement. Accessory - 2 sets with dumbell/barbell press, 4 sets total of choice of pec dec, crossovers, flys, machines.
    Thursday: Legs - 4 sets of 6-10 reps squats, 2 sets of 10 on various machines including hack squat, leg extension, leg curl, leg press, front squat, stiff leg deadlift, etc.
    Friday: Biceps & Triceps - 10 x 10 (GVT) for Biceps Curls, Acessory work focused on the other muscle group; 2 sets of some of the following movements to include 6-8 total sets - dips, pushdowns, close grip bench, overhead dumbell extension, skull crushers, machines.

Week 3:

Monday: Back & Traps - 3 sets of 6-10 reps with two exercises in the following categories: chins, rows, hammer strength. Accessory = 2 sets of 10-12 reps with shrugs, pulldown, etc.
    Tuesday: Chest - 3 sets of 5-8 reps with one incline and one flat movement, one barbell and one dumbell. Accessory - pec dec, crossovers, flys, machines.
    Thursday: Legs - 10 x 10 with Squats / Leg Press, accessory work of 2-3 sets of 10 leg extensions and leg curls.
    Friday: Biceps & Triceps - 5 x 5 for biceps and 5 x 5 for triceps; free weight movement. Accessory machine work - supersets.

Week 4:

Deload (12-15 sets per workout, 8-12 rep range, medium intensity)

Monday: Back & Traps
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday:Off - Rest
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Biceps & Triceps

Week 5:

Repeat week one, change exercises or adjust weight for variation / challenge.

I would follow this 4 week rotation for maybe 2-3 full cycles (8-12 weeks) and then get onto something different. The volume should be a good shock to your body and will spark some solid hypertrophy gains.

Remember for GVT you need to pick a weight that you could do for 12-14 reps for the 10x10 and abide by the rest periods. You are meant to miss some lifts in the middle but your body should start to recover and finish strong.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Tom, thanks. This looks intetresting. I'm currently doing a push/pull/legs split. I'm considering either the 20 rep - squats and milk or the Wendler 5/3/1 w/ Boring But Big.

Quote Originally Posted by hoot View Post
    Tom, thanks. This looks intetresting. I'm currently doing a push/pull/legs split. I'm considering either the 20 rep - squats and milk or the Wendler 5/3/1 w/ Boring But Big.
    There is nothing but rave reviews for everyone following 5/3/1.