Thread: i'm new to working out

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

i'm new to working out

I'm 20 years old, 5' 7'', 155lbs and I have never really "worked out" before. I just got promoted from a warehouse job with lots of moving and lifting etc. to sales, a boring sit around desk job about 2 months ago. I dont eat any more than i did before (about 2000-3000 cal.) but I have gained 10lbs and the small amount of muscle definition i had is completely gone. My friend has been trying to get me to workout with him for a while now but since I was involved in a car accident I cant lift weights till my chiropractor gives me the ok.(probably 2-4 more weeks) The doctor did say I could do some cardio and stretching though. My main question is what the heck do I do when I get to the gym? When I am able to start lifting should I just follow my friend around or do I need to make my own routine? I just want to get toned, not huge. so I know to do lots of reps of light weights but I dont have any idea what exercizes or lifts to do. If you have any questions for me please ask, I would really appriciate all the help I can get about this. Thanks.

My main question is what the heck do I do when I get to the gym? When I am able to start lifting should I just follow my friend around or do I need to make my own routine?
    No, dont make your own routine. Do a pre made routine that has been tried and tested.

I just want to get toned, not huge. so I know to do lots of reps of light weights but I dont have any idea what exercizes or lifts to do.
    Whether you gain or lose weight will depend on how much you eat not how many reps you do.

My main question is what the heck do I do when I get to the gym?
    For the time being, cardio and stretching. When your doctor gives you the green light to commence weight training, Rippetoes Starting Strength program is good for beginners. Start researching it now so you'll have a headstart when its time to hit the gym.

Check out the routines section of WBB.

LOTS of people tend to like Wannabebig - The Original Routine.

As tom says though, make sure you listen to your doctor/chiropractor.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal