Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's training journal

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    Dogcrapp training mate. Go to the intensemuscle forums and its all outlined in the stickies. Its primarily a routine for bodybuilders utilising one all out rest-pause set but makes you strong as hell. Justin Harris does it and he has an elite total of over 2000lbs or somethin close.
    I gave a look and I really like the concept, I wont try it for now but Ill keep it as a plan B in case my new plan doesnt work the way I want.
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Glad you're liking them shoulder presses, that's a baddass movement.

12/05: Squat day

Squats: worked up to 150x8
    Single leg curls with green bands: 3x10
    Calves & Abs

Happy with the squat that's 5kg more than last week and it wasnt as hard. I really want to nail 200kg at the end of June. Band leg curls are the best hamstrings isolation exercice I did so far. Time to eat like a pig and live up to my screenname
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Went to the garage today and rode the bike for 15min and stretched 30min.

Philips Brooks

15/05: Bodybuilder's day (well almost)

Incline bench press: 2x8
    Close grip bench press: 1x6; 1x10
    Flies: 3x10
    Halbert swings: 3x10
    Pullover: 3x10
    Peck deck: 2x10

Never did that much chest work in a session before. Also my first time on the peck deck, and probably the last too. Uneventful session as things are going to change a lot in my training starting Monday. Also I decided to get to 100kilos/220pounds. Its gonna get real ugly but I guess since Im 5"11 it won't hurt me. Im 94 kilos right now so it can be done within the summer I guess.

Philips Brooks

18/05: Squat & Pull

Squat: 160kgx5 2 sets
    Deadlift: 150kgx8 2 sets
    Single leg curls with green band: 3x10
    Calves: 3x10

Good session, I will now squat and pull on Monday, bench on Wednesday and train the back on Friday. Should give plenty of time to recover and add some weight.

Philips Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by EatMyWay2TheTop View Post
    ...I will now squat and pull on Monday, bench on Wednesday and train the back on Friday. Should give plenty of time to recover and add some weight.
    That spilt is basically standard fare and should really help out for further gains.

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Lookin good in here mate.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

20/05: Bench day

Floor press with chains: warmups then 100x5; 105x5; 107.5x5; 110x5
    Static shoulder presses: 45x6 2 sets
    EZ BB extensions: 43x10; 47x8; 47x7
    Front raises with bar + 7.5: 10x2

Chains were not part of the plan but I spotted them on the floor and wanted to try it, didn't add much, I'd say between 5 and 10 kilos at lockout. Shoulder presses are incredibly hard to me so I guess it means I found a weak point. Good thing. Couldnt do any flies because I forgot to buy another DB handle, will take care of that before next week.

Philips Brooks

22/05: Back day

Wide grip pull-ups: 5 sets of 5
    Chin-ups: 3 sets of 5
    Close grip chin-ups: 2 sets of 5
    DB Rows: 42x10; 52x10x2
    Shovel lift 2x5 superset with green band face pulls: 2x12
    Halbert swings 2x10 superset with one hand BB curls
    EZ bar curls 2x10

Shovel lift is basically a deadlift with plates loaded only on one side of the barbell, first time I tried it and I was pleased with it. All in all, pleased with the session, I had a lot of pain in my guts yesterday and thought I may have ruptured my appendix, but it felt better today so everything's fine.

It looks like they customized a smiley for me:

Philips Brooks

Interesting **** with the shovel lift...doing very well in here dude.

25/05: Squat & Pull

Squats: 170x4; 170x3
    Deadlift: 155x8 2 sets
    Greend band leg curls: 3 sets
    Calves: 3sets 120kg

First squat set was good, second ****ty. Still a good improvement as my max is 180. Deadlift was OK, Im struggling to lock it out at the end of the sets, strange because I always been stronger at lockout with heavy reps.

Philips Brooks

Nice and precise workout Matt.

27/05: Bench day

Floor presses: 110x5; 115x5; 117.5x5
    Static shoulder press: 47.5x5 2 sets
    Incline press (close grip) 2 sets
    EZ BB extensions: 47x10; 49x8
    Pullover: 2 sets
    Front raises with 30kg: 2 sets of 10
    Side raises: 2 dropsets

Floor presses were nice but I cheated on the 5th rep at 117.5 and raised my butt. Still happy with it, I'll go for 120x5 next week then switch exercice. Shoulder press is still pathetic but hey, Im working on it. Extensions are a PR.

Philips Brooks

Cocoa: Thanks. I might use another quad exercice on squat day but I don't know which one, no leg press in my garage and step ups are impossible to do since the ceiling is like 6"9 any suggestions ?

Philips Brooks

Front squats and even the lunges will do the trick, although I know you don't like that movement.

Nothing wrong with 'specializing' on the regular squats.
    Last edited by Coke; 05-27-2009 at 11:08 AM.

28/05

20min bike then 30min mobility work focusing on hips and groin area.

29/05: Back day

Pull ups: 5 sets of 5
    Chin ups: 3 sets of 5
    Close grip pull ups: 2 sets of 5
    DB Rows: 52kilos x 12; 56kilos x 12
    Shovel lift 2x5 supersetted with green band face pulls 2x12
    Supersetx2:One hand BB curls / Halbert swings / Reverse BB curls
    EZ BB curls: 2x10

Philips Brooks

29/05 evening:

Ran a bunch of sprints and agility drills; dragged the sled. Summer is showing up is was a beautiful day

Philips Brooks

Yesterday was a beautiful day where I'm at too, sunshine everywhere.

Good stuff there the past few days.
    Last edited by Coke; 05-30-2009 at 09:39 AM.

01/06: Squat day

Squats: warmup then 175x3
    Deadlift: warmup then 160x10
    Goodmornings: 2x10 60kg
    Green bands leg curls: 3x10
    Calves: 3x8 140kg

Will go for a double next week on the squat and keep the reps high on the deadlift. Satisfied with that session even if my goodmornings are garbage, I used to handle way more weight a few months back.

Cocoa: Thanks.

Philips Brooks

GMs be messing us lifters around, that's one killer movement.

3/06: Bench day

Floor presses: 120x5
    Bench press: 100x8
    Static shoulder press: 50x5 2sets
    EZ BB Extensions: 51kgx7 51kgx5
    Upright rows: 51kgx8 2sets
    Front raises: 12kgx8 2sets

Floor press was ugly as sin but is a big improvement. SSP, extensions and raises were all records whether in weight or reps.
    Since I was at the garage I had to bench on my crappy bench, the ****er is too narrow and I hate it with a passion. I'll change it as soon as I can afford it. That was still a PR ON THAT BENCH. (previous best was 100x7) I did 110x7 on my gym's bench so you can feel my pain when I have to bench on that piece of crap.

Philips Brooks

04/06

20min light cardio on bike
    30min mobility work for groin and hips

Philips Brooks

Crappy bench got to go bro, glad to see you making do...like the workout and cardio/mobility efforts.

Funny thing is I was playing football as a CB so I used to be pretty fast and agile. Ate my way up to a 40 kilos gain and agility is just a memory now lol

Philips Brooks