Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's training journal

Matt's training journal

My training routine is basically the one described in Ed Coan's book except for some twitches in the squat and deadlift days due to a lack of proper equipment in my garage. My bench is 135kilos, deadlift is pretty much a guess since I didnt pull a single max from the floor in quite some time now, but I hit a deficit deadlift of 215kilos a month ago. The squat is a work in progress as Im spending some time figuring technique and focusing on hitting depth. I did a double with 160kilos last week but Im pretty confident I got much more in me.

Here's my short term goals:
    Squat: 180
    Bench: 140
    Deadlift: 220

I'll take a shot at those numbers within a month.

If you got any questions or advices and tips please let me know.

17/04: Bench

Bench press: warmup then 110kgx7
    Close grip bench press: 90kgx8
    Incline press: 80kgx5; 85kgx5

18/04: Shoulders

Press behind the neck: warmup than 75kgx5x2
    Side raises: 22kgx8x2
    Front raises: 12kgx8x2
    External rotations

19/04: Deadlift

Rack pulls from the knee: warmup in 5s,3s then workp up to 255kg
    Bent over rows from the floor: 95kgx5x2
    Pull-ups: 6x2
    Reverse flies: 10-12X2

20/04: Light bench day

Bench press: 2 sets of a lot of repetitions
    Flies: 2 sets of 10
    Pushdowns: 3 sets
    Dips: BW+15kgsx5x2
    Bis: 10x2
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

22/04: Squat

Squat: warmup then 140x5x2; 145x5; 150x5
    Lunges: who knows ?
    Abs

Squat technique is quietly improving, I had to do 140 a second time because I cut some reps a little high on my first set. The 150kilos set wasnt that hard and I should be able to add 5 to 10kilos next week. Lunges sucks.
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Lookin strong in here pal!
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

23/04: Stationary bike and stretching

24/04: Bench day

Bench press: warmups then 115x5
    Close grip BP: 90x5; 95x5
    Incline press: 85x5; 90x5

Incline press is a major-extra-mega PR as I wasnt able to get 5 reps with like 60 kilos 6 months ago..

Philips Brooks

25/04: Shoulders

Behind the neck press: warmups then 80x5; 80x4
    Side raises: 22x2x8
    Front raises: 12x2x8
    External rotations

Philips Brooks

26/04: Deadlift day

Deadlift: 100x5; 140x5; 180x3; 210x2; 220x1
    Shrugs: 140x5; 150x5
    Bent over rows from the floor: 100x5; 105x5
    Pull-ups: 7x2; 7x2
    Reverse flies 10x2 superset with abs

I was going for 210x3 and missed the 3rd. Lower back bent like crazy at the start and I was done. Still a PR nonetheless and I decided to go for 220 which was a goal of mine. It was shaky but went up steadily. My max pull in January was 185 so things are going well.
    I need to spend more time on abs training because I slacked on that area for some weeks now and I think it might help keep my lower back more arched in the future.

On a side note I finished reading this book last night and I would recommend it to everyone, very sad story but incredible how this guy overcame such tragedies. Eye opening and inspiring to say the least.

Philips Brooks

27/04: Light bench day

Bench press: 2 sets of lot of reps
    Flies: 2 sets
    Pushdowns: 2-3 sets
    Abs

Lame session. Passed on the dips and bis because it really killed my back. Its acting up again since Sunday night and I hope it will be better tomorrow for my squat day.

Philips Brooks

29/04: Squat day

Squat: worked up to 170x1 175x1 and 180x1
    Calves and abs

180 was my objective so Im pleased with it. My back didnt hurt that much but I chose the pussy way and didnt do much after squatting. Hope it will be fine by Friday but it's already way better than early this week.

My training partner and I concluded I can aim for a 200kilos squat by the end of June, so that's my new objective along with the 230 kilos deadlift. I will also start to add conditioning because I just might be the most out of shape and bound to have a heart attack 90kilo person ever.

Philips Brooks

01/05: Bench day

Bench press: warmups then 120x4
    Close grip BP: 100x5; 105x5
    Incline BP: 90x5; 95x5

Was shooting for 120x5 but the 5th one was even near. Not good and I need to get past that 120x5, still thinking about how I'll do it but I'll sure make it happens soon.
    Pleased with the close grip and incline, both keep getting better each week so cant complain about that.

Philips Brooks

Good stuff mate. Our strength levels are almost exactly the same.

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

02/04: Shoulders

Press behind the neck: worked up to 75kx5
    Side raises: 24kx8 24kx5
    Front raises with a 20k bar x 10; added 5k x10
    Rotator work

Front raises with a bar are pretty cool and I'll keep doing it for some times instead of using dumbbells.

Kong: you're killing me on about every pressing movements, remember I pause none of my bench and I'll probably snap in half trying to military press 100kilos.

Philips Brooks

Doing pretty good in here man...those short term goals will be surpassed swiftly.

03/05: Deadlift day

Rack pulls from 2nd pin: warmup then 200x3;205x3;210x3
    Bent over rows from the floor: 105x5; 110x5
    Pull-ups: 6x2
    Mini circuitx2 with no rest: chinsx5; abs; face-pulls with green bandx12

Average session, was a bit apprehensive about my back on the rack pulls but it turned out fine, will go at full speed next week. Rows were ugly as sin, and I think I'll do pull-ups right after pulling to see if I can get more because this is embarassing. Circuit kicked my ass and it shows how out of shape I am.

04/05: Light bench day

Bench: warmup then 80x17
    Flies: 21kilos 10x2
    Pushdowns: 40x8 45x8 47.5x8
    Dips: 10x2
    Bis: 2 sets hammer curls

80x17 is a PR. I suck big time when it comes to reps, I'll continue until I get 20 reps then increase the weight or switch to speed work in 5x5 fashion.

Philips Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Doing pretty good in here man...those short term goals will be surpassed swiftly.
    Thanks for looking at my log. Its pretty motivating to get someone as strong as you take a look.

Philips Brooks

06/05: Squat day

Squats: warmups then 140x8; 145x8
    Green band leg curls: 10x3
    Calves 10x3
    Abs: 12x3

My previous best with 140 kilos was 5 reps 2weeks ago so Im pleased with 145x8. Im falling forward a bit when coming up since a couple of weeks, not really a problem as I can still complete the lift but Id like to make it smoother.
    The garage was 80F and not a bit of air, not that much but still felt hot and it will be a lot of fun to squat and pull this summer with +100F

Philips Brooks

08/05: Bench day

Bench press: worked up to 130x1 missed 135
    Close grip: 100x5; 105x5
    Incline bench press: 95x3; 100x2; 105x1; 110x1
    Bis

Was hoping for 140 today but that was not even close. Missed 135 near lockout, disappointing since it was a weight I blasted a few weeks ago.
    My bench is obviously going backward so its time for some change; I already got an idea and cant wait to start. Still pissed with that *performance* tho...

Philips Brooks

Nice sessions, stay on it bro.

Bench is always the one that gets me when i try and max out. Good effort still tho man.

10/05: Deadlift day

Deficit deadlift: 140x3; 160x3; 180x2; 190x1
    Goodmornings: 60k 10x2
    Chest supported rows: 10x2
    Pull-ups

Looks like its not just my bench going backwards as I hit 215 on the same movement like 6 weeks ago. I may take a break from near max weights for some time on the bench and dead.

Cocoa and Kong: thanks

Philips Brooks

Just keep doing your thing & experiment, like doing deads or benching every 6-7 days to see what works best.

Why not give DC a shot like for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Just keep doing your thing & experiment, like doing deads or benching every 6-7 days to see what works best.
    I was looking at Ryan Celli's training and he's squatting and pulling on the same day, doing speed squats in another session, and benching just once. That seems interesting, but I may need to add a 4th day because training 3x a week makes me feel like Im slacking.

Philips Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    Why not give DC a shot like for a while?
    What is DC ? I might look into that

Philips Brooks

Dogcrapp training mate. Go to the intensemuscle forums and its all outlined in the stickies. Its primarily a routine for bodybuilders utilising one all out rest-pause set but makes you strong as hell. Justin Harris does it and he has an elite total of over 2000lbs or somethin close.

11/05: Shoulders and tris

Seated barbell press with bar resting on pins at clavicles: 40kg 2x8 dead stopped at each time
    EZ barbell extensions: 37kgx10; 41kgx10x2
    Front raises with 20kg bar + 5kg: 3x10
    Side raises: 2x12
    Push-ups with different grips: 4x10
    One hand barbell curls: 3x5

Not that bad all in all. Seated BB press is a killer, never did it before, but I enjoyed it and it worked my shoulders like nothing else.

Philips Brooks