The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Cheap squat rack/power cage/sumo rack?

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a rack of this sort that will fit into an area of maximum 3 ft 8 in depth and a max height of 75 inches? I would really like to get one for my house but the only place with a chance of having enough room is behind a car. Also, it can't be expensive as I am at a shortage of money at the moment. It doens't have to be high quality as I would be jus starting out on squats after a 6 month layoff and not doing over mayb 140 lbs. ANyone know where I can find somethin along these lines?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar

43" deep - just makes it by an inch

$250
    http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Fitnes...ction&linkid=4

For more dough, you can put all the bells/whistles on it, like high/low pulley, dip bar, plate rack, pec deck, etcetera. Or leave it just like it is.

JC
    Last edited by JohnCollins; 04-13-2002 at 09:34 PM.

Last one was a half-cage, this one is $280 and a full cage at exactly 44", your 3' 8" limit.

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Fitnes...ction&linkid=3

JC
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

http://129.41.60.44/homefitness/cata...ction&linkid=2
    You can get a lat attachement for it too.
    Last edited by NYOTTO; 04-13-2002 at 09:39 PM.
    "Do what you got to do. Walk through a place like you F'in own it. If people don't like it, F them, you'll get over it."

sorry about my thread. it is 6 inches to high.
    "Do what you got to do. Walk through a place like you F'in own it. If people don't like it, F them, you'll get over it."

The Truth
    Hmm...$280 isn't bad if the shipping is free...

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I wouldnt feel safea in a (and I quote) "cheap squat rack".

Its the kind of thing you dont skimp on. Like airplane parts or shotgun pellets.

I agree with Budiak. . .however the items above are not "cheap squat racks", so I guess I didn't answer the question. When your safety is at issue, you don't want to scrimp.

I consider "cheap squat racks" the kind of equipment you get at the national sports store chains (although, I have seen the occasional good piece of equipment there). For the most part, the stuff they sell is fine for the kind of use it gets -- used maybe half-a-dozen times then used to dry clothes.

Body Solid, however, is much better stuff. It is a home product line, but it falls midway between the chain store garbage and commercial gear. I have a BodySolid gym and can vouch for it's quality, and I doubt anyone on this forum would be uncomfortable with it from a safety standpoint.

The BodySolid may not be the cheapest (can probably find one for $130 at the chains), but I think it represents a value for the money which is hard to beat. And the heavier, more "pro" styles (pop pin adjustments on square tubing safeties, for instance) won't meet the 44" depth requirement.

JC

Ooops! Teen, now that I've basically told you that you can get a rack for over a hundred clams less, please DO take Budiak's advice. Stay out of the chain stores. Save up a few more bucks for the BodySolid.

Aside from being safer, you'll undoubtedly get a lifetime of use out of it.

JC

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks John and Budiak, the only problem with those above is the height. :-( I'm not trying to to get something that's low quality, I'm jus trying to get a good mix of value and quality.

Wannabebig Member
    What about something like this: http://www.thefitnessstore.com/Qstore/p000022.htm I think its the same as the one on this page:http://www.thefitnessstore.com/Qstore/p000022.htm the only thing is I don't know the exact dimensions.

That'll work. Definitely. But for another $20 you can get the one I posted on 04-13-2002 11:33 PM, and that just, well. . .it looks like more. The safeties are longer, so when the car is out of the way, you can pull up a bench and really do heavy presses and not worry about a spotter. And you didn't mention wanting to add anything to it, but even the die-hard free-weight advocates probably like using the high/low pulley for tricep press downs and seated cable rows.

If you get the one you just found, that's it--for life. If you get the other one, you have the option later to add the pulleys if you get the inclination and the dough. Just a thought. I think the future flexibility is worth the $20. Think of it as an option on the expansion pieces.

Here it is all fitted out, althought I'd likely stop at just the pulleys without the other geegaws.

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Fitnes...ction&linkid=4