The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Balancing sports and weight lifting? How do you do it?

I have a problem. Spring has hit and I found my self slacking in the gym because of all the sports. I played Tennis on Wednesday, Hockey on Friday and found myself to be sore for like 4 days after that. So in those 4 days I didn't hit the gym. Now I finally worked out Monday and I'm sore from the workout, which makes me want to avoid Tennis and Golf for the next 3 or 4 days.

How do you guys balance a lifting routine with sports? Does playing a high intensity sport the next day after a workout ruin your recovery?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabe Fit.
    If you lift regularly, you won't be as sore after the workouts.
    Maybe try lifting heavy on monday, and light on thursday.

Monday:
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Dead Lift

Thursday:
    Squat
    Military Press
    Power cleans (or barbell rows)

It's pretty much starting strength, but just two days a week. Since you're not deadlifting on thursday, you should be able to have ample recovery time when playing hockey, and then taking the weekend off. Eat a lot, and sleep a lot, too.

That's just an idea..
    Anyway, good luck. Im sure lifting will help you in every aspect of your sports!
    Last edited by Joshua_P; 04-21-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    "We get stronger by improving our weaknesses" - Detard

during sports season your lifting should be dramatically decreased. this is the period of time where you maintain all the strength you gained during your "off-season". two days per week and i would strongly recommend not lifting heavy, instead work on endurance. work on two full body days per week in the 12-15 rep range. rest periods should be kept under 60 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by heathj View Post
    this is the period of time where you maintain all the strength you gained during your "off-season". two days per week and i would strongly recommend not lifting heavy, instead work on endurance. work on two full body days per week in the 12-15 rep range. rest periods should be kept under 60 seconds.
    Why endurance? I feel like a dramatic change in rep range would not only make you more sore (12-15 reps on the squat, for instance, would have me hobbling for days, unless the weight was uselessly light), but would diminish any of those strength gains youre hoping to maintain.

I never get sore from low rep training, especially if you've been at it for awhile. I believe others would agree. Its always the sets of 10 or 8 of SLDL or close grip bench or something that has me tight the next day. This is also the sort of rep work that will keep your strength up.

You just have to get your priorities in order. Whats more important, your other sports or lifting? One is oign to have to come first. You can still make gains but they will be much, much slower.

Do something like starting strength twice a week and that should keep most of your gains.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    If it were me, I would train with intensity but not to failure, so maybe do 2-3 sets with squats using my 5RM, but only doing 3 reps, then do some light lower body assistance afterwards in high rep ranges. I would rarely train the full pull but I would do rack pulls or pulls with bands/chains if you have them, again 2-3 heavy sets of 3 without going to failure. I would also train twice a week. Then the odd week where training elsewhere was less intense, or whatever, I would go the full hog and test my strength with a 1-3RM, maybe full pull, squat or bench or whatever your liking. Of course incorporate this in whatever way you like, it is your training and no one else has a full picture of what it is exactly you are doing outside the gym, what your limits are, what your goals are, etc. You may also like to check out WS4SB (Joe DeFranco) as a huge bulk of his stuff is specially designed for athletes and having functional strength.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Banned
    Just don't go all out. And stick to lowish rep strength training like Hazerboy recommends. Keep the volume basically as low as you can get away with. find how much training you can do. Everyone recovers differently. Higher reps and higher total volume like you see in bodybuilding routines are more likely to leave you feeling wasted. Don't train to failure.

The weather is getting better, go and enjoy your sports! The lifting should be helping those not hindering them.

I think Pavel has written about this sort of thing in relation to the training he does for military and police types. He makes the point that you can't have special forces that are too sore to deploy just because they had a tough squat day.

Maybe try Josh P's example. I imagine you'll figure it out for yourself though as you progress.

You can only mantein strenght during in-season, by doing a strenght program like SS, but always listening to your body.

I was mistaken on the repetition range for maintenance during sports season.

I have been doing some more research about sports training and came across this:

For maintenance throughout the competition season here is your sets and reps for compound lifts: Moderate intensity(80-85%), 2-3 sets x 6-8 reps
    For peaking (for tournaments, double headers, etc.) throughout the competition season (ie: within a microcycle[one month]) lift: Very high intensity(>93%), 1-3 sets x 1-3 reps

Choose one or the other. Maintenance is for a longer season and peaking is for something if you have a tougher team you need to better prepare for, or a harder challenge in general. With peaking you want to do these sets/reps for 3 weeks before the tough competition, compete, and then repeat working in 3-4 week increments, or work on maintenance until you have another competition.