The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

New Routine Help

Hey guys I posted last week about how much i liked the WBB Routine 1.1 and how much of my benchmarks have gone up but I want to make better gains by doing muscle isolation (i think thats what its called when you do one or two muscle groups a day).
    My goals are to have a bigger more defined chest and to have bigger arms.

I currently:
    21 yrs
    5' 10"
    Weight 185lbs
    Bench Press 205lbs
    Bicep Curl 45lbs
    Deadlift 215lb (It could be more but my back has been sore for a while)
    Squat 215lb (Same reason as above)

I used to hate the gym but I cant have a week without atleast 3 visits so Im becoming a addict.

If you guys can suggest a better workout for me that would be great, I did try rippetoes workout but it wasn't to my liking, I can understand the gains he promises just wasnt for someone like me who can and needs atleast 1hr and 30 min in the gym not including warm up sets.

Also I was wondering if its good to take all sets to failure, by that I mean lets say Im doing 5 sets at 8 reps per (WBB 1.1), would i be better fit to do the 8 reps or to do each set as many times as I can.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Also is it normal to go into the gym weighing one thing and coming out weighing more, and this is without eating anything during or before workouts.

you're not going to make better gains be isolating all the muscles. lift heavy with compound lifts and you will exhaust all the muscles.
    WBB 1.1 is good, don't change it if you don't have to. you're worrying too much, give it time, you'll see the results you're looking for.
    and don't try to change the routine, do it exactly as it tells you to.

as for leaving the gym heavier, water weight, and other hormones, etc. become active, it's nothing to worry about.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Are you still getting stronger on WBB1? If so, I would be tempted to stay with it whilst it's working for you as nockits said.

There are plenty of good muscle group splits available if you search the forums and do want to go that route (which isn't a bad route at all, but nowadays I prefer to just focus on big, compound movements and not worry about isolating muscle groups)

Hey, Ron Harris wrote an article called So You Wannabe a Bodybuilder back in January and we are due to publish his second article next week which is focussed on intermediate bodybuilding and it talks a lot about muscle group splits and even gives some good example routines. Keep an eye out for it.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Oh, also I thought I would post my own 4 day split that I used to do which you could use. I think it's pretty decent.

- Monday - back and biceps
    - Tuesday – rest or cardio
    - Wednesday - Deadlifts, Shoulders, traps & abs
    - Thursday – rest or cardio
    - Friday – Chest and Triceps
    - Saturday - legs & abs
    - Sunday - off

Monday - back and biceps

Barbell rows 2 x 6, 1 x 10
    Front lat pull down 2 x 6, 1 x 10
    Seated Machine Row 2 x 10
    V Bar Pull down 2 x 10

EZ Curls 2 x 6, 1 x 10
    Seated incline curls 2 x 10

Tuesday – Rest or cardio

Wednesday – shoulders, traps & abs

Seated dumbbell press 2 x 6, 1 x 10
    Seated machine press 1 x 10
    Lateral raises 2 x 10
    Shrugs 2 x 6, 1 x 10

Thursday – Rest or Cardio

Friday - chest & triceps

Bench press 2 x 6, 1 x 10
    Incline machine press 1 x 6, 1 x 10
    Incline flyes 2 x 10
    Dips 2 x 10

Narrow Grip Bench 2 x 6, 1 x 10
    Triceps cable pushdowns 2 x 10

Saturday – legs & abs

Leg press 2 x 6, 1 x 10
    Leg extensions 2 x 10
    Leg curls 2 x 10
    Standing calf raises 3 x 10

Sunday – (REST)
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by menace305 View Post
    Also is it normal to go into the gym weighing one thing and coming out weighing more, and this is without eating anything during or before workouts.
    If you also aren't drinking anything...then no, it's not normal...it's also impossible and would lead me to believe you have an inaccurate scale!

You can do any routine you want, but if you're not lifting hard and heavy AND eating enough to support muscle growth, then muscle growth won't come.

I have to say that I don't really understand this statement - "I did try rippetoes workout but it wasn't to my liking, I can understand the gains he promises just wasnt for someone like me who can and needs atleast 1hr and 30 min in the gym not including warm up sets."

It wasn't to your liking? Sorry, but does that mean you weren't doing curls or only going 3X a week?
    Some one like me who can and needs at least 1 hr and 30 minutes in the gym. How do you know? More and longer doesn't necessarily mean bigger and stronger. I lift 4 days a week for 45-55 minutes, that's it. No offense, but to me, that was a newbie statement.

It also sounds like you're over-thinking things. Just get under the bar and lift - hard and heavy. If you're still making gains on WBB, then stick with it until you don't, THEN change things up.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by menace305 View Post
    I can understand the gains he promises just wasnt for someone like me who can and needs atleast 1hr and 30 min in the gym not including warm up sets.
    no one needs that much time in the gym. anything over an hour, and you stop making efficient gains.
    Check out my Journal!

I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by Stronggirl123 View Post
    Yes! You don't need to do so much workouts in the gym, you should spend 1-2 hours each day for lifting heavy with compound lifts and keep on it, you will gain a good result.
    once again, i'll state that pretty much anything over 75 minutes with heavy weights is pushing it. and a lot of the people here will agree with me. lifting heavy for more than an hour is very taxing and unnecessary. now if you were on a program that had cardio, or you did extra light work, then i can see it taking much longer.
    Check out my Journal!