The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squat Training with straps down

Just want some input on this. the Centurion I got now is a bit big, I can get my legs in it in about 3-5 minutes and I was wondering whats everyone thought on training in it with the straps down until I get my new one, I was planning on training Raw 8 weeks and 2 more 8 week cycles with gear, would it be a good idea, to keep the hips tight instead of training raw? I know my squat groove is different raw than it is with the suit, is doing straps down gonna be different too or similar as with the straps up? plus I don't have my 38-39 inch belly to hold me anymore..haha ...but the suit is definitely tight around the hips because I used it 2 days ago for DL and couldn't get the lever on my DL belt to close.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Huh, I don't get what not closing the lever on your belt has to do with the hips being tight? I think training in even loose gear is a good idea if you compete in gear. It'll save wear and tear on your hips and let you use the same form you do geared.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Huh, I don't get what not closing the lever on your belt has to do with the hips being tight? I think training in even loose gear is a good idea if you compete in gear. It'll save wear and tear on your hips and let you use the same form you do geared.
    You know, in the past I've always just box squatted on DE days in briefs because I'm a wide stance squatter, saving the squat suit for ME days 6-10 weeks before a meet. I just finished up on a training cycle using briefs, the squat suit (I squat in a TRX with Inzer hardcore briefs) and chain on my DE days---basically working with 415 (50%), 465 (~55%), and 505 (~60%) lbs adding chain each week through the cycle. I'm really not sure at all that I like using the squat suit on DE days. The briefs make sense to protect my hips---my hips ACHE if I don't wear them, but the suit it seemed to be nothing but a struggle trying to get as deep as I like to go for my boxsquats with the lighter weights on my shoulders. I was constantly fighting to keep from torquing my knees, making me feel like I was loosing something with the squat workout. I really like that suit when I've got more weight on my shoulders, but not on the lighter days.
    Last edited by JK1; 04-22-2009 at 11:48 AM.

use your suit straps down and every third week put straps up.

Yeah... I got no problem closing the lever over my t-shirt, but closing it over the suit feels like what I think a Boa snake would feel if it gets around you! haha...
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    I know for me personally I always like to train with the straps down for nothing other than hip support; just to keep them healthier. Not that I wouldn't train with straps up ever but I didn't have briefs so I always wore the suit for support. What I'm saying is I think it's a good idea just from a hip health stand point.

Quote Originally Posted by scott rowe View Post
    use your suit straps down and every third week put straps up.
    I will try that...Im gonna use my semi-loose Fury too, Im gonna order my Katana in 4 weeks so when I get it I will try to make it your way at least once a week.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

The belt thing has nothing to do with how tight the hips of the suit are. The belt is tighter because there's any extra layer of material from the suit.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I like training suit straps down, I don't put em up too often unless I'm training for a meet

I don't use a suit for my speed work though
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

The belt thing has nothing to do with how tight the hips of the suit are. The belt is tighter because there's any extra layer of material from the suit.
    Ahhhh! yes I'm a ******. I was thinking that somehow it was pushing all my lower torso mass up a little. didn't realized how MUCH thicker the suit is than a shirt. I'll have to move it a hole then.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total