The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    LuNa

Help with training routine

I have been going to the gym for about 6 months now. Most of the time infrequently, but the last 2 months have been frequent. However, i had the idea i was overtraining. I was spending 2.5 hours in the gym doing all kinds of exercises. After reading this forum i decided to slash half of it and add some exercises. However, i do not want to risk overtraining again so i would like your opinion of the routine that i started doing.
    First some personal info. I am 22 years old, 6.1 (185 cm) tall and i weigh 220 lbs (100 kg). My goal is to increase my lean muscle and decrease my body fat percentage. My current diet is low on carbs, high on protein and i try to stay around 2000, or lower, calories.

Now for the exercises:
    Dumbbell shoulder press (3x8)
    Bench press (5,5,5,3,3)
    Squat (ass to grass) (5,5,5,3,3) (monday and friday)
    Heavy barbell rows (5,5,5,3,3) (wednesday only)
    Deadlift (5,5,5,3,3)

This gives me 4 major compound exercises every day i go (monday, wednesday and friday). I also do 2 accessory exercises which could be, hammer curls, preacher curls, dips, pull ups and ab work.

Also, next to the three days i walk a lot. I don't have a car so i walk everywhere i have to go. This comes down to around 45-60 mins a day with maybe 2 hours in the weekend sometimes.

Last question is could you maybe give me the correct form on doing the benchpress. I have been stuck at the same weight for 5 weeks now and i think it might be because of bad form.

Sorry for so many questions but i have been fat for a long period of my life and i am really keen on turning that around.

Thanks in advance for any sort of advice.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

220lbs at 6'1 isn't that bad. here's the deal, you either cut, or you bulk, doing both is hard. eating 2000 calories a day isn't going to get you anywhere. i eat about 3000+ calories a day and i'm still losing fat.
    look into Starting Strength, it has all the key compound movements you need, and bump up the calorie intake at least a 1000. you will start seeing gains, and if your diet is clean (ie. no junk food, pop, pastas,etc.), healthy food only, you will lose fat.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

LuNa
    I just want to say thank you for your post. After reading your post i decided to do some more researching and using a proven program instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. I also decided to do a slow bulk, and add (as you said) around a 1000 calories to my diet.
    The only thing is i did not buy the book because i could not find it here (Australia). I did read a forum post which basically summarized the whole book. However, i still have one question. When using the starting strength program do you do for example:
    Week 1: A B A
    Week 2: B A B

Or do you just keep every week the same. Thanks in advance. Any tips or info in general about people that have done the starting strength program would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    I just want to say thank you for your post. After reading your post i decided to do some more researching and using a proven program instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. I also decided to do a slow bulk, and add (as you said) around a 1000 calories to my diet.
    The only thing is i did not buy the book because i could not find it here (Australia). I did read a forum post which basically summarized the whole book. However, i still have one question. When using the starting strength program do you do for example:
    Week 1: A B A
    Week 2: B A B

Or do you just keep every week the same. Thanks in advance. Any tips or info in general about people that have done the starting strength program would be much appreciated.
    i'm glad you started researching and finding a proven program. for this you got +1 in my books. a lot of beginners are not even able to start here.

and you are correct, the workout alternates like you mentioned in your example, ABA, then BAB.

eat lots, rest well, and with this routine, i'm sure you'll be increasing that bench again in no time!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*