The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

help with my routine

ive been lifting for maybe a month now. im doing low reps high weight

my routine is:

day1 - shoulders triceps biceps
    day2 - abs
    day3 - chest back
    day4 - abs
    day5 - restart from day 1

im trying to build mass as FAST as possible. should i be lifting a muscle group every other day or should i lift them once a week?

also, can you guys give me some tips to gain as much mass as possible? im taking a serving of creatine after every workout. i also drink a protein shake after dinner.

what else can i do?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ugh. No leg days?

Put deadlifts and squats in your workout regimen...

I wouldn't do shoulders/bis/tris in the same day either.

Two days dedicated to abs may be too much.

What are your sets and reps?

Check out Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Madcow's variation on the Starr 5x5...

Those will pack on mass pretty quick. Assuming your diet and rest is right.
    Last edited by KoSh; 04-22-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

You wanna put mass on as fast as possible? You need to put a lot of effort into what you eat...

As for your workout routine - you need to prioritize these lifts:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Pullups/Chinups
    Military Press
    Flat Bench Press
    Rows

With your extra energy - put it into some BB Curls, Side Laterals, & Rear Laterals for aesthetics.

EDIT: oh yeah, and get your peri-workout nutrition nailed down...as well as your breakfast & pre-bed meal...
    Last edited by Xellarz; 04-22-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    i dont want to worry about legs yet...im concerned about upper body.

i do about 3 sets and maybe 10 reps for each group

Your upper body will grow from working out your legs. You should be concerned with your legs.

But hey, if looking disproportionate is your thing, then by all means, attempt to jack up the upper body and negate the lower body. Chances are not only will your upper body not grow to its potential, but you'll look a little on the goofy side.
    Last edited by KoSh; 04-22-2009 at 05:56 PM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    i play soccer so my legs are pretty thick...but how will working out legs help my upper body?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by emd023 View Post
    i play soccer so my legs are pretty thick...but how will working out legs help my upper body?

1. Less chance of injury.

2. "Leg" exercises such as the deadlift work the entire body and put it under a lot of stress. This forces the body to work to its fullest potential, thus you are likely to gain mass faster (assuming number three is in place).

3. In order to gain ANY weight, (muscle or fat) you must eat enough.

4. Greater hormonal release. While this is still debatable as to how much it helps...it can't hurt.

5. The body grows as a unit. It will not permit much disproportional growth unless you have fantastic genetics or are assisted or both).
    Have you ever seen a 200 lb curl jockey with 20 inch arms? Or a 50 inch chest?
    Big guys tend to be big all over. There are rare exceptions...but I wouldn't bet on being one of them.

Wannabebig Member
    ok...but should i be working my muscles once a week or every other day?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    ok...but should i be working my muscles once a week or every other day?

I would shoot for a upper/lower routine where you work your upper body one day and then your lower body the next before taking 1-2 days off...so it might look like this: M-upper, T-lower, W-Off, Th-upper, F-lower, S&Su Off.

The problem with working more often than this is that while your muscles may recover, your CNS may not be able to.

So I wouldn't work any bodypart more than twice a week (if going heavy.)

i dont want to worry about legs yet...im concerned about upper body.

i do about 3 sets and maybe 10 reps for each group
    i used to be like this too, when i first joined, my routine was mainly focused on upper body, and barely any legs because I was a hockey player. big mistake. your legs contain half your body's growth hormones, and should be worked out just as much as your upper body. if you focus on your whole body (lots of compound movements), everything will balance out in the end.

building mass will take some time. that's why i sometimes cringe when beginners want to "build mass as fast as possible". this takes time, months, years, and if you're not patient and dedicated, it's not worth the effort.

look into starting strength, by mark rippetoe. read the book, and do the routine, it will teach you everything you need to know.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    The problem with working more often than this is that while your muscles may recover, your CNS may not be able to.
    CNS?

Wannabebig Member
    also, im skinny, and have never really ate that much. im doing my best now but i would like to get as much protein and calorie intakes as possible. Is there an appetite booster out there somewhere? i believe this is my biggest problem. honestly i could easily go a day without breakfast and dinner. i cant really explain it.... i feel hungry but nothing seems to make me WANT to eat. i really need some help here. ive been told to start forcing myself and this will cause my appetite to boost. but this is really hard for me.

CNS = Central Nervous System.

Make yourself eat. If you really want to grow, you need to put it in perspective and realize you won't grow worth a damn if you're not getting enough food. Make yourself do it if this is that important to you.
    Last edited by KoSh; 04-23-2009 at 05:15 AM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Make yourself eat. If you really want to grow, you need to put it in perspective and realize you won't grow worth a damn if you're not getting enough food. Make yourself do it if this is that important to you.
    i have tried. is there anything else i can do? are there foods out there i can eat less of but still gain plenty of calories/protein?

Try some protein shakes. Those have a good calorie count on them. But a protein shake or two alone isn't going to help. You need to eat real food as well. But the protein shakes can help you add hundreds of calories to your diet.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Try some protein shakes. Those have a good calorie count on them. But a protein shake or two alone isn't going to help. You need to eat real food as well. But the protein shakes can help you add hundreds of calories to your diet.
    how many a day? what is the limit?

i don't think there's a limit. but i haven't heard of anyone taking more than 3 a day. these should be used for assistance, stick with real food.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    i don't think there's a limit. but i haven't heard of anyone taking more than 3 a day. these should be used for assistance, stick with real food.
    Bingo.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method