Thread: Benching straight?

Benching straight?

I seem to have a problem with benching straight. I know I can lift a specific weight, but the stress of keeping the bar stabilized interferes while I push up. Will this just naturally be fixed over time, or is it my set up?

it's your set up, and it's you.
    use less weight, and try again.
    OR switch to DBs for a few months and then try the BB again.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

some upper back work would really help with that.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Just bench dude. It sounds like you have weak stabilizers, which you can train with some accessory work, but just benching is gonna be fine, especially if you're new to lifting, which it sounds like you are.

Give us more information.
    -How long have you been training?
    -Does this happen with all weights or just your top sets?
    -What does your setup look like?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

My bench used to be wavy on the way up. Since then I've changed my form. In my old form I came down to the nipples and was flaring my elbows big time on the way up. This terrible form was causing my bench to be wavy on the way up. My new form comes down below my sternum and I keep my elbows tucked. So far I don't have the wavy issue on the way up anymore.

^^ This. Also it could be the fact that you're not used to benching. Also, more info, like Sidior said, would help.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by teeroy View Post
    My bench used to be wavy on the way up. Since then I've changed my form. In my old form I came down to the nipples and was flaring my elbows big time on the way up. This terrible form was causing my bench to be wavy on the way up. My new form comes down below my sternum and I keep my elbows tucked. So far I don't have the wavy issue on the way up anymore.
    Thanks man, I'm going to listen to your advice and hopefully be on the road to proper form.

In response to Sidior,
    -about a week
    -happens usually on all weights while bench pressing.
    -I was trying the mark rippetoe method, but I was messing it up. So basically, my set up was *****.

You've been training for a week. You'll get it. Do some reading on this site. There's a lot of good information here.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Matt Wright
    One thing that I read once about powerlifting really had a profound effect on me. I had been lifting weights (not PL) for years before I read it to. It was something to the effect of, "Keeping good form is often just a matter of having the capacity to force yourself to do something. Concentration and will power." Either way, it had same day results. It helped me stay tighter, and gave me a lot more confidence. You can do it.
    Last edited by Beefcaker; 04-18-2009 at 01:34 AM.
    Injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawnymoke View Post
    I seem to have a problem with benching straight. I know I can lift a specific weight, but the stress of keeping the bar stabilized interferes while I push up. Will this just naturally be fixed over time, or is it my set up?
    Scrawny,

By "benching straight", I assume you mean pushing the bar in a staight line when you bench. If that's what you mean, that's not what you want to do.

The trajectory in the bench press is curved path. A great article the illustrates the trajectory path in the bench press is, Bench Press: Bench press techniques of elite heavyweight powerlifters.
    National Strength & Conditioning Association Journal. 6(4):44-44, August 1984.
    McLaughlin, Thomas M. Ph.D., Director of Strength/Fitness Biomechanics 1; Madsen, Nels H. Ph.D. 2

The article provide some additional information on the biomechanics of the bench press. I can email you the article, if you are interested.

Kenny Croxdale

How wide of a grip should I have, about shoulder-length apart and should I keep my elbows tucked into my side while extending and lowering the bar? I think my elbows are flaring.