The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So wait...you're saying Cals IN vs Cals OUT??

If I ate 3500cals of pure chicken breast/fish/whole wheat bread/pasta/peanuts.
    (only healthy foods)
    OR
    I ate 3500cals of pure chicken breast/some doritoes/chocolate cake/mcdonalds/some veggies. (healthy foods + junk + fast food)

I will grow the exact same? As long as calories are the same?

Does the body choose where to put the excess calories? That basically means clean bulk/dirty bulk is exactly the same. It should be called close bulk and excess bulk..or something.

I used the search, and everyone says cals are cals. But that can't be right can it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i don't think this is true. i think the ratio of proteins/carbs/fat is what counts here. although i'm not sure what the exact numbers are.
    protein is about 1.5g per lb, but im not sure about the 2.
    you can increase the calorie count, as long as the ratio remains the same, i think thats how it works.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

also, the quality, vitamins and minerals, and type of food counts. quality woudl be like, which do you think is better: frozen packed, processed, shipped and microwaved beef from mcdonalds, or lean, healthy fed, organic, carefully packaged and delivered or even better fresh off the farm beef?
    honesly life is simpler if you just go and eat these: http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Banned
    calories equals growth. heres an example of my diet. i am a pler not a bodybuilder but its all the same.

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...er=SICKONSTORM

Calories in vs Calories out determines how much weight you gain/lose. The composition of your body and your overall health depend on what the calories consist of.

agree with wats said so far... plus i'm thinkin a diet with alot of sugar would produce different results than a diet with low sugar

Quote Originally Posted by Klotz View Post
    Calories in vs Calories out determines how much weight you gain/lose. The composition of your body and your overall health depend on what the calories consist of.
    This one.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar

I second that.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Wannabebig Member
    If you think of calories as fuel, there are different grades. High octane fuel such as chicken breast and tuna will burn cleaner then low grade fuels such as twinkies and donuts. Carbon buildup and sludge (FAT) results from too much low grade fuel. Also remember there are 9 calories per gram of fat and only 4 calories per gram of protien and carbs.

Here is a qoute from the power fat loss plan on efs

Not all calories were created equal

Letís start with calories. Yes, they are a consideration but not the overriding factor of success or failure. Focus on consuming the right foods in the right combination and at the right time. The calorie issue will take care of itself. After all, would you consider 2,000 calories of corn chips to be equivalent to 2,000 calories of lean protein? The answer is no because each would have a distinctly different impact on your hormonal environment that governs fat loss, muscle growth, and performance.
    Last edited by slashkills; 04-19-2009 at 11:24 AM.

So basically you're asking if macros are meaningless? Think about it.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Not sure if I agree with this.

Let's assume protein stays at least at 1-1.5g/lb LBM and caloric fat is at least .5g/lb LBM.

Amount/percentage of calories above or below maintenance have WAY more affect on composition than macros.

A slow bulk, assuming it's clean, will result in a more efficient body re-composition, meaning ratio of fat gain to muscle gain will be small. A fast bulk, even assuming it's clean, will likely result in a less than efficient recomp.

You can eat as cleanly as you'd like but if you bulk at 200% maintenance you're going to get fat.
    Last edited by Progress; 04-20-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Wouldn't bulking with healthy foods mean that you would spend less time cutting? (assuming of course that your macros are where they should be) or am I just way off
    Currently: Sore

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Wouldn't bulking with healthy foods mean that you would spend less time cutting? (assuming of course that your macros are where they should be) or am I just way off
    A slow bulk (10-20% above maintenance) will limit fat gain if macros are in order. Like I said, regardless if your diet is clean or dirty, if you're eating at a relatively high percentage above maintenance, you won't be able to keep fat off. Our bodies are just not that efficient. The most efficient bulks and cuts should be carried over a long period of time or just with limited results.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    So basically you're asking if macros are meaningless? Think about it.
    I don't think this is what he was getting at. I believe it was based on the idea that if you meet your macros, can the body distinguish calories.

I think a better question would have been:

"Assuming macronutrient needs are met, is a piece of whole wheat bread the same as a doughnut?"

In my opinion, yes. I don't believe the body can tell the difference in calories but it will have an effect on your health.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

ďPersistence Persistence.Ē - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

As far as fast vs. slow bulk, your body can only burn off so many cals. Anything over that will be stored - as fat. I've tested this quite a bit on myself. Fast bulk (higher % over maintenance), even with clean food, equals more fat. Slower bulks, eating crap still equals more fat. A well-balanced diet on a slower bulk is the ticket to minimal fat gains. Same goes for cutting and muscle loss. For some one obese, it will be different, but for most of us, a fast cut will result in more muscle loss than a slow cut will.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 04-20-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Nutrient partitioning has a role here but I'm not really sure it answers the question of, if you overeat, does it matter if those calories are "clean" or "dirty" (assuming, of course, you get enough protein, which is always important).

At a very fundamental level, the problem that natural bodybuilders and athletes have is one of partitioning; that is, where the calories go when you eat more of them or come from when you eat less of them. In an ideal universe, every calorie you ate would go to muscle tissue, with none going into fat cells; youíd gain 100% muscle and no fat. In that same ideal universe, every calorie used during dieting would come from fat stores; youíd lose 100% fat and no muscle. Unfortunately, we donít live in an ideal universe.
    Calorie Partitioning Part 1
    Calorie Partitioning Part 2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Fast bulk (higher % over maintenance), even with clean food, equals more fat. Slower bulks, eating crap still equals more fat.
    In your experience, eating crap made you fat(ter) while bulking than if you'd eaten clean?
    Last edited by Brad08; 04-20-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Oh yes. In fact, I've measured the difference with calipers in just one week. I spent several years testing this on myself, just to see how it would go. The problem is - I love to eat. I really have to watch what I eat or I put on alot of bf, especially in the stomach.
    When I bulked fast (eating about 6000 cals per day) and all the food was measured out and very clean, I put on fat, but not as much as eating crap. The benefits during that bulk were eating cleanly, I had more strength than when I ate crap.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    A slow bulk (10-20% above maintenance) will limit fat gain if macros are in order. Like I said, regardless if your diet is clean or dirty, if you're eating at a relatively high percentage above maintenance, you won't be able to keep fat off. Our bodies are just not that efficient. The most efficient bulks and cuts should be carried over a long period of time or just with limited results.
    this
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

6'0"
    215 lbs.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    In your experience, eating crap made you fat(ter) while bulking than if you'd eaten clean?
    Calories from a fat source are stored more readily as body fat than calories from carbohydrates or protein. While the difference is not huge, over a period of time it can add up.

But if your eating the same exact macro breakdown does it matter if it is a donut or a cup of oats and peanut butter. If both are 300cals with 30g carbs and 10gs of fat?

The problem with dirty food to me is it is hard to track, not filling, calorie dense, lacks nutrients, and can contain bad trans fat.

I would say if your eating 3500 cals with the same exact macro breakdown (protein,fat,carbs), getting sufficient fiber and nutrients then the difference between eating all "clean" foods and "dirty" foods will be so small I doubt it could be statistically measured.
    Nick V

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    But if your eating the same exact macro breakdown does it matter if it is a donut or a cup of oats and peanut butter. If both are 300cals with 30g carbs and 10gs of fat?

The problem with dirty food to me is it is hard to track, not filling, calorie dense, lacks nutrients, and can contain bad trans fat.

I would say if your eating 3500 cals with the same exact macro breakdown (protein,fat,carbs), getting sufficient fiber and nutrients then the difference between eating all "clean" foods and "dirty" foods will be so small I doubt it could be statistically measured.
    At least one diet expert agrees

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Mcdonald
    Fundamentally, my belief is that, given identical macro-nutrient intakes (in terms of protein, carbs, and fats) that there is going to be little difference in terms of bodily response to a given meal. There may be small differences mind you (and of course research supports that) but, overall, they are not large. And certainly not of the magnitude that many make it sound like.

. . . .

Itís not uncommon for the physique obsessed to literally become social pariahs, afraid to eat out because eating out is somehow defined as Ďuncleaní (never mind that a grilled chicken breast eaten out is fundamentally no different than a grilled chicken breast cooked at home) and fast food is, of course, the death of any diet. This is in addition to the fact that apparently eating fast food makes you morally inferior as well. Well, thatís what bodybuilders and other orthorexics will tell you anyhow.

Except that itís clearly not. Given caloric control, the bodyís response to a given set of nutrients, with the exception of blood lipids would appear to be more determined by the total caloric and macro content of that meal more than the source of the food.

In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesnít matter, itís all about calories and macros.
    Last edited by Brad08; 04-22-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Not sure if I agree with this.

Let's assume protein stays at least at 1-1.5g/lb LBM and caloric fat is at least .5g/lb LBM.

Amount/percentage of calories above or below maintenance have WAY more affect on composition than macros.

A slow bulk, assuming it's clean, will result in a more efficient body re-composition, meaning ratio of fat gain to muscle gain will be small. A fast bulk, even assuming it's clean, will likely result in a less than efficient recomp.

You can eat as cleanly as you'd like but if you bulk at 200% maintenance you're going to get fat.
    It looks like you said pretty much exactly what he did. His wording was just slightly awkward. I read his statement "...the composition of your body and your overall health depend on what the calories consist of" to say that the composition of the calories determines your body composition in the end.

If that's the case, you're both saying the same thing and I agree. So would anyone with even a cursory understanding of metabolic physiology.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Calories from a fat source are stored more readily as body fat than calories from carbohydrates or protein. While the difference is not huge, over a period of time it can add up.
    This depends a lot on what else is going on with metabolic hormone levels. If insulin levels are kept low, glucagon levels rise and that will result in fat being more readily utilized for fuel.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    I read his statement "...the composition of your body and your overall health depend on what the calories consist of" to say that the composition of the calories determines your body composition in the end.
    IF calories are held constant, right? Because if they aren't, then the precise ratio of carbs to fat makes less difference than the AMOUNT of calories you eat. For example, you WILL get fat if you eat too many calories; it doesn't matter if you're eating 10% carbs or %50 carbs.

Or do you disagree?