The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Quad Tear

Quad Tear

I read this on another forum and I was wondering how common is this and what are good ways to prevent it from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHF View Post
    I was lifting at YMCA this morning while one of the big guys was going for a 705x2 box squat. He went down touched the box started going up. This is when his left quad just detach from the knee joint and roll up like a rubber band into a big black ball in the middle of his tight. Dropped the bar on the safety bars. One of his friends took off his shirt and put it on top of the guys leg. He was laying down and asking to see his leg. Nobody let him saw it, Im guessing because that was his lifting career ending....An ambulance came and took him to a hospital near by.
    I dont have a video and I dont know the guys name. But I feel terrible for the guy, something to keep in mind next time when Im lifting heavy.
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm pretty sure people have come back from quad tears just as they've come back from bicep and pec tears. Your body won't ever really be the same but its doable for most cases I think.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Banned
    Yea, it happens. Kind of odd for it to be a quad vs a hammie.

Travis posted a list of Louie Simmons's injuries and they put this one to shame. The muscle will get reattached through healing and/or surgery, and if he wants he will make a come back.

Banned
    I know of a couple Highland Gamers that this has happened to. It just takes time and rehab and that guy will be back.

Banned
    something to keep in mind next time when Im lifting heavy.
    Uh, no.

Not going to end a career, not something to think about next time.
    Roll Tide.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Quote:
    something to keep in mind next time when Im lifting heavy.
    Uh, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    Uh, no.

Exactly my first thought too. Yes, let me think about bad things happening. I always drive down the road in my car and think about getting hit head on.

I have torn a quad coming out of the hole in a meet with a squat 2 years ago. It was partial tear but things like that happen. Hell 5 years ago I herniated a disc in my back and was told I would never be able to lift heavy weights again and couldnt walk for 2 days. Your body will recover quickly but your mind is what takes a while to get over it. I was back to squatting 4 weeks after the incident but it took me a year or so to get it out of my head. Now I dont even worry about it. Injuries are part of the sport you push hard enough sooner or later there going to happen. Look at Marc Bartley. he had one of the worst quad tears ever. look for him to put up a huge total very soon. he took a year or so off lost some weight but the guy is still insanely strong. Best advice I can ever give on injuries is to not worry about them trying to be wuss and avoid one is the easiest way to get one.

Matt Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by dbc3po View Post
    I have torn a quad coming out of the hole in a meet with a squat 2 years ago. It was partial tear but things like that happen. Hell 5 years ago I herniated a disc in my back and was told I would never be able to lift heavy weights again and couldnt walk for 2 days. Your body will recover quickly but your mind is what takes a while to get over it. I was back to squatting 4 weeks after the incident but it took me a year or so to get it out of my head. Now I dont even worry about it. Injuries are part of the sport you push hard enough sooner or later there going to happen. Look at Marc Bartley. he had one of the worst quad tears ever. look for him to put up a huge total very soon. he took a year or so off lost some weight but the guy is still insanely strong. Best advice I can ever give on injuries is to not worry about them trying to be wuss and avoid one is the easiest way to get one.
    How long did it take you to really come back and PR in the DL and squat again after that disc?
    Injured.

That took a little time, but within a year I had hit pr's in all the lifts. I took 4 months off completely from the gym and when I went back I did a ton of pull throughs. What helped me the most was learning to listen to my body. I also read a ton of the westside articles in my down time. I htought if Louie could come back form all the **** that happened to him then so could I.
    Last edited by dbc3po; 04-28-2009 at 04:53 AM.