Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: basketball players thread

Wannabebig Member

basketball players thread

for those of you that play basketball regularly (or used to), what type of lifting and training do you do?

i find that i still have a lot of speed after not playing or exercising for over 5 years, but the problem is, it is hard for me to change direction or stop as fast as i use to. i am now in a league and my body is getting beat up. i want that explosiveness back in my legs.

Banned
    There is a sports specific section on the site, you will probably get more exact answers on there. Otherwise I would say if your out of shape and have high body fat, check out the routines on this site in the FAQ thread. Just focus on getting in shape rather than specifically for basketball. Once you are getting close to where you want to be, re-examine your routine and look into training specifically for basketball.

Zach

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zbollman View Post
    There is a sports specific section on the site, you will probably get more exact answers on there. Otherwise I would say if your out of shape and have high body fat, check out the routines on this site in the FAQ thread. Just focus on getting in shape rather than specifically for basketball. Once you are getting close to where you want to be, re-examine your routine and look into training specifically for basketball.

Zach
    i hear u, great advice.

To be honest, and I have been playing nearly my whole life until recently, the only thing that gets that explosiveness back in my legs that you describe is just playing and getting back into basketball shape. After a few weeks of just running in pick-up games and league games, my legs usually get conditioned to the point of where I feel good again playing defense, jumping, etc. You could try plyometrics like box jumps, depth jumps, agility stuff; but just keep playing and you should get that feeling back.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Wannabebig Member
    Just put a lot of hardwork in your training...I've played basketball my whole life.

Do suicides, lots of sprints, layup drills etc. There is a long list of what you could do but basically it sounds like you are out of shape and coordination has been lost. Just be persistent with your training and you'll start to get it back. Good luck.

I've played bball all of my life, as well. I'm not nearly as fast as I used to be or jump quite as high, but the powerlifting has helped with everything but shooting. I can set picks that no one gets around, if they run into me, they're stopped cold in their tracks. NO ONE takes the ball from me. Rebounding and boxing out are better, as well.
    Start lifting to get stronger (3X a week) and then keep playing bball a couple of times a week and you'll see vast improvements in your game.

EDIT - I lied about shooting. I can shoot from further out with less effort than I ever could before. 25 footers are no stranger to me.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 02-26-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Lifting heavy has helped almost every part of the game for me, from jumping, driving, shooting etc. As far as game speed and endurance, nothing helps better IMO then suicides and sprinting. Also, just getting out there and playing a few games every other day will help alot also.

Run a lot, play basketball.

Im a basketball player too, but i have a big doubt, if you could help me guys:

Im skinny, ive always been, and i was wondering if i could do a strenght program in the middle of my preseason (training 3 times a week). Id love to have bigger arms.

Thanks in advance

1. STAY LEAN - for basketball, there is no need to be bulky. focus on getting stronger, not getting bigger/bulkier. Michael Jordan was the best to ever play the game, and he was 6'6 200 pounds. If you want to get big for your own reasons, thats understandable, but for basketball, unless you are a tall slow guy, the less weight the better. Try to keep your bodyfat below 10%, optimally between 6.5-7.5. in the book JUMP ATTACK, which I suggest to any basketball player looking for a training guide, Tim Glover suggests that when squatting, instead of doing 3x10reps or whatever, instead do x amount of sets with as many reps as you can do in a certain amount of time, for 30seconds for example, with a lighter weight. Maxing out has its place in basketball-focused lifting, but your best bet would be to keep with higher reps.

2. PUT A STRONG FOCUS ON ABS- as a basketball player, having good abs is gold, this helps everything, the main thing being your balance. I would suggest incorperating abs into every workout you do.

3. Jump rope- IMO the most underrated tool in basketball conditioning. Once you get through the inital frustration of learning how to skip, Jump roping is gold. Think about it, 10 minutes going hard on the jump rope and you will be wore out, you can easily simulate game fatigue by having 10-20 second "bursts", you are building your leg endurance and explosiveness, plus you as you learn to do more and more, you can really hit the jackpot with developing your footwork, which I might say is the most important factor in basketball
    CONSISTANT EFFORT is more important than any formula for success

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post

EDIT - I lied about shooting. I can shoot from further out with less effort than I ever could before. 25 footers are no stranger to me.
    ^I agree with this. I'm often more comfortable shooting 3s at NBA range now, even though I play in gyms with the old college lines.......

When practicing, I shoot a lot of flat footed college 3s (like a free throw) from the top of the key........

I've lost a step since my college days, but I still play at least 2x a week during the softball off-season.......(though I play domeball in the winters!! )

Pablonba - I wouldn't necessarily 'bulk up', as I have done if you really want to stick with bball long term. I went from 6' and 125 to 6' and 255ish. BUT, I've always wanted to be big and strong and play bball if I can. If I were to think strictly in bball terms, I'd have stopped bulking around 200 pounds (for me). At 200 was a bit slower than at 125, but the size really helped. As it is now (255ish), I'm not as fast as I might like to be for bball, but the size I've put on has helped my game quite a bit. When I jump for a rebound, I take people up with me.

You didn't say how tall you are or how much you weigh, but I'd consider putting on some weight and strength (even if it's only 15-20 pounds), it will only benefit your game. Look at Kobe, he was good when he started, but several years ago, over the summer, he put on 15-20 pounds (mostly muscle) and his game got better because he's stronger.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 02-26-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Pablonba - I wouldn't necessarily 'bulk up', as I have done if you really want to stick with bball long term. I went from 6' and 125 to 6' and 255ish. BUT, I've always wanted to be big and strong and play bball if I can. If I were to think strictly in bball terms, I'd have stopped bulking around 200 pounds (for me). At 200 was a bit slower than at 125, but the size really helped. As it is now (255ish), I'm not as fast as I might like to be for bball, but the size I've put on has helped my game quite a bit. When I jump for a rebound, I take people up with me.

You didn't say how tall you are or how much you weigh, but I'd consider putting on some weight and strength (even if it's only 15-20 pounds), it will only benefit your game. Look at Kobe, he was good when he started, but several years ago, over the summer, he put on 15-20 pounds (mostly muscle) and his game got better because he's stronger.

Thanks for your advice man, im 6'1 and weight 160 lbs. Id love to weight 170-180 lbs.

But what do you guys think of gaining mass while training 3 times a week... is it possible??

Not a problem, you just have to eat and lift like crazy.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Not a problem, you just have to eat and lift like crazy.
    Thanks again.

I understand why "eat like crazy", but why "lift like crazy"??
    Should i lift more times a week? Heavier? Longer? I dont get it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    To be honest, and I have been playing nearly my whole life until recently, the only thing that gets that explosiveness back in my legs that you describe is just playing and getting back into basketball shape. After a few weeks of just running in pick-up games and league games, my legs usually get conditioned to the point of where I feel good again playing defense, jumping, etc. You could try plyometrics like box jumps, depth jumps, agility stuff; but just keep playing and you should get that feeling back.
    great. i have been doing some fixed lifting (machine weights) for my legs. that isn't bad for me is it?

Pablonba & bball55 -
    Lifting like crazy means 3-4 times a week. Free weights and compound movements with a few isolation movements. Squats, deads, bench press (flat & incline), military press, bent rows, cleans, dips, etc. and then throw some tricep, bicep and ab work in. The big lifts (squats, deads & bench) should be done first in the workout with iso work last. Rep ranges on the big lifts 4-8 and the rest 8-12. Keep playing ball on the off days so you don't lose your edge.
    You don't want to lift light with lots of reps, that doesn't build muscle well. Depending upon how much you eat is how quickly you'll gain. Remember, with a bulking cycle, you can add some bodyfat, so don't be surprised at that. If you're playing bball 2x a week and lifting and eating, you could conceivably be 10-20 pounds heavier in 3-6 months, while gaining alot of strength.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 02-27-2009 at 09:15 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 235orbust View Post
    1. STAY LEAN - for basketball, there is no need to be bulky. focus on getting stronger, not getting bigger/bulkier. Michael Jordan was the best to ever play the game, and he was 6'6 200 pounds. If you want to get big for your own reasons, thats understandable, but for basketball, unless you are a tall slow guy, the less weight the better. Try to keep your bodyfat below 10%, optimally between 6.5-7.5. in the book JUMP ATTACK, which I suggest to any basketball player looking for a training guide, Tim Glover suggests that when squatting, instead of doing 3x10reps or whatever, instead do x amount of sets with as many reps as you can do in a certain amount of time, for 30seconds for example, with a lighter weight. Maxing out has its place in basketball-focused lifting, but your best bet would be to keep with higher reps.

2. PUT A STRONG FOCUS ON ABS- as a basketball player, having good abs is gold, this helps everything, the main thing being your balance. I would suggest incorperating abs into every workout you do.

3. Jump rope- IMO the most underrated tool in basketball conditioning. Once you get through the inital frustration of learning how to skip, Jump roping is gold. Think about it, 10 minutes going hard on the jump rope and you will be wore out, you can easily simulate game fatigue by having 10-20 second "bursts", you are building your leg endurance and explosiveness, plus you as you learn to do more and more, you can really hit the jackpot with developing your footwork, which I might say is the most important factor in basketball
    I don't really understand the "stay lean" argument. I know plenty of big guys, that are still incredibly quick and agile. Obviously one wouldn't to bulk up like a lineman. But how is having extra lean mass going to negatively impact your play?
    Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

It's kind of what I said in an earlier post. I bulked up huge and it really slowed me down. You have to find the balance between weight and speed that you wish to have. Having extra lean mass won't negatively impact your play unless you get too big to move well. If you're 6' and 150, going up to 175 pounds would really help you out; going up to 250 might slow you down too much (me, but I still play).
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

There are really great things here dudes, thanks.

Hope this threath turns into THE bball threath.

Hey ballers or ex-ballers, i have another question:

Is it OK not to squat on a basketball player routine? Does squatting makes me slower?

No, it's not okay. Squatting can make you jump higher and run faster; just don't squat heavy right before playing.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Thanks Pete,

I was reading Startin Strength and i have a couple questions:
    - I have good chest, does Starting Strength grow my arms? My arms are VERY skinny. I need bigger arms before anything.
    - Should I add some pullups? I think its a great exercises, it should be in any routine.

My week would be like this:

Monday--> Practice
    Tuesday-->Gim
    Wed----->Practice
    Thurs---->Gim
    Friday--->Practice
    Sat--->Rest
    Sunday--->Gim

In the Gim days I was planning to do Starting Strength. What do you guys think? Is it enough rest? I know I should eat and sleep like crazy.

And finally: Does Starting Strength, or better, my week program, make me bigger?? I need to grow.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by pablonba; 03-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pablonba View Post
    Thanks Pete,

I was reading Startin Strength and i have a couple questions:
    - I have good chest, does Starting Strength grow my arms? My arms are VERY skinny. I need bigger arms before anything.
    - Should I add some pullups? I think its a great exercises, it should be in any routine.
    - With all the heavy pushing and pulling, your arms will grow (given you are eating enough).

- Pullups/Chins are great and you could add those in.

In the Gim days I was planning to do Starting Strength. What do you guys think? Is it enough rest? I know I should eat and sleep like crazy.

And finally: Does Starting Strength, or better, my week program, make me bigger?? I need to grow.
    How old are you? Experience? Six days a week is a hell of a lot of volume for anyone, but I know back in high school a lot of people could get away with it. I would consider throwing in one of your weight training days maybe after a day of practice if you're not too tired, just to give yourself an extra day of rest out of the week.

About growing and getting bigger, you're going to burning a LOT of calories playing ball 3 days a week and doing SS. I would suggest you eat and keep on eating until you see the scale going up. Seriously, you're not going to get bigger unless you commit yourself to that.
    My Training Log

Thanks a lot Pete, ill do SS in my Gym days and eat and rest a lot.

Q: Is rest the same as sleep?? I mean, can I rest watching TV or I can only rest by sleeping?

Thanks a lot Pete, ill do SS in my Gym days and eat and rest a lot.

Q: Is rest the same as sleep?? I mean, can I rest watching TV or I can only rest by sleeping?
    No it's not the same. Sleep is when critical anabolic and restorative functions occur. Relaxing or resting is great and has its place, but getting adequate sleep is critical.
    My Training Log