The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabe Tank.

Staying or changing...finally a consensus?

Hi everyone.

Well, after yet another homework session (reading about weight training) and procrastinating from my career based homework I have found no answer to my question!

How often do you change your training program?

I have found that there are two groups on this issue. Firstly the group that says keep with it until you stop getting gains (or the don't fix what ain't broken group) and the other group of stimulating the muscles.

I personally think both sides have valid points but i don't know **** compared to some you guys out there.

So has there been a recent consensus on this? I ask as I am doing the starting strength program and I am moving on to 11 weeks. Should I continue or change? I am happy to continue with the program however if it is better for me to change then I definitely will.

Most areas I am still gaining on (even though its becoming much slower now). If I were to change what do you change to from this? I obviously want to stay on compound exercises and I don't think I can change the program without using most of what I already do!

Thanks for your feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    They will also be banning weight lifting, so do as much as you can now.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Get Big!!!
    Stick with your current program if you are making adequate gains and still enjoy the routine. I feel that if a program is changed too frequently, it may be difficult to determine what works best for your body. Heavy compounds are going to be the basis of every good lifting routine. If gains are slowing, you can alter the set/rep range, intensity, weight, etc. I have lifted long enough to know what works best for my body and make slight modifications as necessary. That will come with time. You can slightly modify your current workout without doing a complete overhaul if you feel stagnant.
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 231lbs.
    BF: 14%

Quote Originally Posted by PatoriaN View Post
    Hi everyone.

Well, after yet another homework session (reading about weight training) and procrastinating from my career based homework I have found no answer to my question!

How often do you change your training program?

I have found that there are two groups on this issue. Firstly the group that says keep with it until you stop getting gains (or the don't fix what ain't broken group) and the other group of stimulating the muscles.

I personally think both sides have valid points but i don't know **** compared to some you guys out there.
    Pat,

How often you change your program has to do with your "Training Age". "Training Age" is the number of years you've been training.

Novice/intermediate lifters can stay with a program longer. That because their bodies don't adapt as quickly.

Advanced individuals need to change their programs up more often. Their bodies adapt much faster.

This has to do with "The General Adaptaion Syndrome." http://changingminds.org/explanations/brain/gas.htm

"Periodization Training" is all about chaning a program up to insure progress.

Most novice/intermediate lifters need to change their program up about every 6-8 weeks. That provided they are pushing it each week.

Advance individuals usually need to change their program up every 3-5 weeks.

Some experimentation is needed to determine how often you need to change your program. As you progress, you training frequence will change. "Nothing works forever."

Quote Originally Posted by PatoriaN View Post
    So has there been a recent consensus on this? I ask as I am doing the starting strength program and I am moving on to 11 weeks. Should I continue or change? I am happy to continue with the program however if it is better for me to change then I definitely will.

Most areas I am still gaining on (even though its becoming much slower now). If I were to change what do you change to from this? I obviously want to stay on compound exercises and I don't think I can change the program without using most of what I already do!
    I'd recommend you change things up. Changing thing up can be as simple as going from a wide grip bench press to a narrow grip bench press.

Think of the bench press as ice cream. A wide grip bench press is chocolate ice cream. A narrow grip bench press is vanilla ice cream. Both are ice cream but they are not the same.

dumbbell, nockits, big joe, Sensi, heathj, and rbtrout advocated change in another post on this board. http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...scle+Confusion

Kenny Croxdale

Wannabe Tank.
    Thanks for the detailed replies waterwalker and Kenny! I really appreciate the help!

I guess for the most part I am still gaining, however for some I am not and haven't for weeks. I was doing the SS program and it said don't change anything!!! which is why I was hesitant. I think I may have to find a sub for the pendlay rows and hyper extensions! To get the ball rolling.

I guess my training age is 10 weeks. Well training with commitment. I have been on and off with little direction for 2 years but I'd say half of my gain have come in this last 10 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    They will also be banning weight lifting, so do as much as you can now.

Get Big!!!
    Just make sure the intensity is there and your calories are adequate. If you do, I can assure you that gains will come. Your CNS is still adapting. As it does, the weights will increase. Ten weeks is not very long.
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 231lbs.
    BF: 14%