The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consistency

Consistency

I seem to have consistency problems with my diet and conditioning. I can do well on a diet for a short time and then it's out the window. Same thing with conditioning. The sad truth is that I feel great when I am getting it done. I am certainly consistent with training. If I could just put it altogether I am sure I would see even better gains.

So here is my plan for consistency. There is no reason I can't do some form of exercise everyday whether it be training, cardio, or gpp. I should also be able to hold a quality diet together for more than a few days at a clip. My wife told me to put a calendar on the fridge and mark each day that I exercise with a red / and mark it with a blue \ when I eat well. Both will combine to make an X on good days. I am shooting for a week of straight X's starting tomorrow. We'll see if I can make it.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I could not agree more. I've slacked on my GPP work big time lately, although the diet part I've lately gotten under control. LOL Actually right now I'm eating cottage cheese instead of a nice sweet snack that I'd love to grab.

What I've found works super well with the diet stuff is when my girl is doing it with me. Right now I do most of the cooking because she's busy with graduating and cooking quality food is a royal pain in the neck, but since we're both doing it, it's much easier to keep track of it.

The other thing I've noticed. When I eat clean, I have to eat a TON more to maintain my needed caloric intake. So much that it usually takes me about 2 weeks to get used to eating as much as I need to. After that though, I'm used to it

The GPP work ends up being my responsibility LOL. Fortunately with the weather shaping up nicely and it being a huge part of my job (training others conditioning) it'll be a cinch to get it back to where it needs to be.

I like the calendar idea!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

TJW
    Good luck to you both on this. I'm sure you will both succeed because you both have worked hard to get where you are currently at. I myself have tried to get some more cardio work in on off-days. This summer I'm going to try and clean up my diet a little since I will be home. Keep at it and I'm sure this will be a good thread to keep you motivated.

Just start running hills with Rhodes.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Good luck to both of you! your both intelligent lifters and im sure you will get it done.

I actually love the calendar idea. I think I'm going to gives this a shot myself.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

professional psychopath
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I seem to have consistency problems with my diet and conditioning. I can do well on a diet for a short time and then it's out the window. Same thing with conditioning. The sad truth is that I feel great when I am getting it done. I am certainly consistent with training. If I could just put it altogether I am sure I would see even better gains.

So here is my plan for consistency. There is no reason I can't do some form of exercise everyday whether it be training, cardio, or gpp. I should also be able to hold a quality diet together for more than a few days at a clip. My wife told me to put a calendar on the fridge and mark each day that I exercise with a red / and mark it with a blue \ when I eat well. Both will combine to make an X on good days. I am shooting for a week of straight X's starting tomorrow. We'll see if I can make it.
    Sounds like a plan Vin. Just keep hacking away at it.
    Clearly, daddy didn't beat you enough as a child. If you were in front of us you'd show respect, so don't be an internet punk. - Matt Rhodes

I just recently started reigning in my diet, as well. Now, I think I've got my wife convinced to do the same thing. It's much easier when you both eat the same things (I eat way more, though). The GPP is a killer for me, as well. We've got a really nice treadmill at home and I'm thinking of starting 2 days a week on that. Coupled with basketball on Saturdays, it should really help me out. Good luck all.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

For the most part, I'm pretty vigilante when it comes to training consistency. GPP work is something I've neglected though, like many. I think your plan should work great Vin.

You've gotten pretty dad gum strong being inconsistent so far! LOL
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Well I have made it through the diet and conditioning today. One day down six to go to make a week. One week is my first goal.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Footballer
    Even though your a veteran lifter probably don't need advice, if you're thinking about doing 30 or more minutes of cardio try breaking it up, 15 on a bike and 15 on an eliptical for example. Helps break up the monogamy. I have a similar problem but the weekends kill me for eating well. I can get a good breakfast in but after that it's downhill.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

BigRic - I'm the complete same way haha. I wake up with the best of intentions, but as the day goes on it tends to get worse and worse

I've started focusing on getting more flexibility stuff in since visiting Chip's gym; I've found it help when I make myself write down everything I've done.. sort of makes me realize how much or little stuff I'm actually doing. I've written "what have you done today to become a champ" on a piece of paper which is taped where I see it multiple times a day; if nothing else it guilts me into doing more haha

Good luck Vin
    Last edited by Cricket_Fire; 04-27-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    You can do it Vin. No one knows more than me how hard it is. I've been a big guy my whole life and have battled fatness. That was my only problem when I started Powerlifting, I loved just eating and not caring, I used PL as an excuse to eat whatever and whenever I wanted. But that had to stop; hell, I'm, 39 years old with a 15 month old daughter and one on the way in a few days, I have to get healthier for them if nothing else. Have you thought about working with a nutritionist? I'm sure you'd rather do it on your own but sometimes having someone that knows what they're doing there to be accountable too, well that helps. I'm working with Shelby Starnes at the moment, and carb cycling and everything is great. It seems like a lot at first but once you get rolling it's really, really easy to keep up with. I find it easier now than the way I was eating before, well, aside from the God's Kitchen drive thru! You mentioned consistency and that's the key Vin, no matter what you do or how you do it, just keep doing it because the longer you do it the easier it will get, you need to remember that.

The thing is I'm not looking to cut weight. I actually want to gain a few lbs. I just want to eat well. The funny thing is I do most of the time. I just fall off the wagon. I'm happiest when I am eating like an animal, but with all good foods. When I overeat good foods I feel fine. When I overeeat bad foods I feel awful and get very self loathing. I am also kind of an all or nothing guy. If I have a bad day eating I won't do gpp or cardio.

I still have a few goals I want to hit and I am only going to do it at my age if I'm doing everything right. I'rn really trying to dedicate myself totally.

Vincent,
    You have to structure your diet so it is more like a challenge to eat right. If its not a challenge you will loose interest fast and go back to your old ways of being a typical lazy powerlifter. All the time in the gym is great but we all know that diet and nutrition is just important if not more. But some reason its so easy to blow the nutrition and diet off.

As for the cardio. It is cool once your hooked but still so easy to get off track. I had been doing cardio religiously for the past 12 weeks 30 mins a day 6 days a week. A chest cold made me take a week off because I couldn't breath doing cardio. I am over the cold now and finding it harder then ever to get back to the cardio thing?????

As for the calender idea from your wife. That I like but it may work a little better if you can convince her to thow in some added bonus when you make a full week off "x's" . I am sure you know where I am going with this so I will stop now out of respect for your wife.

Diet, Cardio, and Nutrition plans go hand in hand with all the iron in the gym. But please Vincent don't let turn into one of those pretty powerlifters.

Great idea with the calender thing. I'm gonna give that a try for sure.

Good luck man.
    Last edited by Detard; 04-28-2009 at 07:53 AM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Wannabebig Member
    Vinny,
    I'm with Rob here start with diet and get it on track and spinkle in the cardio as you can, be careful you might get too sexy this happened to me and I decided to get chubby again... For me when my diet is right it usually takes me 10-12 days of good eating to get into cruise control. When I get it rolling it is easier to keep it there. So just trudging ahead and it will get easier.

CT

Thanks for the encouragement boys. 2 days so far and 2 X's. 5 to go to hit my first goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    Vincent,
    As for the calender idea from your wife. That I like but it may work a little better if you can convince her to thow in some added bonus when you make a full week off "x's" . I am sure you know where I am going with this so I will stop now out of respect for your wife.
    Oh Rob, she is a good girl. She has rewarded me for all my milestones. The first one was for a 600 bench, I was so excited for it that I hit 650 that day. I'll tell her the boys want her to reward me for the week and see what she says.

Three days, three X's. I'm keeping this thread updated until I make the week.

Banned
    That's awesome. Keep it up.

the calendar thing is a great idea. I remember hearing a saying, something like, "What isn't tracked doesn't exist." Or something like that.

You track your training in a journal (presumably). Why not also track your GPP/cardio and Diet work? Treat it as serious as your lifting and not like an afterthought. The calendar is a great way to do that, or at least a good first step.

Banned
    The calendar idea is a good one - Jerry Seinfeld did something similar. Apparently he was very undisciplined when he was first starting out, he should have been writing jokes, but always found something else to do instead. So he bought a giant one-year calendar and hung it up where anyone could see it. Every day he wrote for at least an hour, he put a big red "X" on that day, after stringing a few days together, he wanted to keep a continuous line of red X's. After a while, writing was habit. I do the same thing with diet, every day I keep my caloric intake under my goal amount, I mark it off. I want the streak to continue so much now that it gives me that little extra motivation to keep the twinkie out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Three days, three X's. I'm keeping this thread updated until I make the week.
    Way to go Vincent! I need to start doing this. I have skipped cardio for about three weeks now. Initially because I had a bad chest cold and couldn't breath during cardio. Now I have just gotten myself out of the routine. I don't step on the scale that often anymore since I am not concerned with making weight for any meets. But today I did and I am 11 lbs heavier then I was three weeks ago. Now this is good and bad. I have added my recovery drink back into my program and that usually makes me gain some mass but not 11 lbs. I guess I can blame this partially on my son Hunter as well. He is four and like every 4 yr old he likes Dairy Queen. Unfortunatley so does dad.

So Today I am going to get back on the treadmill for atleast 20 mins and put my first X on the calender. My target goal is to get back to 30 mins 6 days a week like I was prior to my cold. And I will also throw abb training back into the mix. No Vincent I am not looking for the pretty boy look just trying to stay solid.

Glad to see this is helping. It's helped me. 4 X's down!

I'm going to bring a bunch of pizzas to the gym tomorrow.
    Roll Tide.