The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone heard of Sheiko program

Anyone here hear of the Sheiko program, from Boris Sheiko a Russion strength coach?

What are your thoughts on it if you've tried it?

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/Sheiko29.htm
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've heard of it but don't know much about it. I'd like to hear more on it, though...

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

they have a main page on sheiko on elitefts.com. I'm trying again now. did it about 3 months after starting my last serious bulk. I got stronger, but then again, I was barely back into the game. I'm on day 2. I like how I lift heavy, but don't max out. It seems to keep my motivated. I wonder if I'm going to build muscle on this, because some seem to think that this program lends to overraining. I don't know since many lifts stop at 75% of max....
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

sheiko is a really proven program but personally I'm not a huge fan of it. I've just seen to many guys get burnt out doing it with all the volume

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Sheiko training involves alot of volume at loads less than the 1 rep max. There is actually a template you can download online that outlines the sets and reps. All you have to do is plug in the numbers and the excel sheet will calculate the big 3 lifts. I guess the big advantage is the constant repeated movements. You get alot of practice on the big three. I have been on other sites and people say that once you become acustom to the routine, its ok. The hard part is doing the initial 4 weeks. you have to have a solid GPP base before you start to help with the extra volume.

I can tell my GPP is being worked. It's a workout to finish within 2 hours. I also do like the practice I'm getting on the big three.

I want to do this for one month, and if all goes well, I'll try it for another 4 week phase, moving on to another sheiko routine.

you're right about volume. Definately keeps me on my toes...but since there is a pre-made template, I know the exact numbers I want to shoot for each day, instead of doing things on feel.
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

im curious as to what kind of person you'd recommend this program to myself..seems interesting but high volume is a KILLER of my strength.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

APT Sponsored Lifter Jason Pegg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    im curious as to what kind of person you'd recommend this program to myself..seems interesting but high volume is a KILLER of my strength.
    Welllllll, ummmmmmmmmmmmm, not you? LOLOL

Jason

Don't do it. You've been warned.

my gym owner is on it. I'll let you know in a while what he thinks of it
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "F—k you and the Prowler you rode in on"

You should try to get in touch with Eric Talmant over on EFS. I think he trains using Sheiko's program(s).

Banned
    Raising from the dead....

I currently am doing Sheiko # 29, and will take a week off for my cross country move and use it as a deload. Then I will do Sheiko #37, which is basically the same thing as 29 with more volume. These are Eric Talmant's general recommendations for Sheiko Beginners over on EliteFTS. After I complete #37, i will re-test my 1RM's and will let you guys know. I decided to use slightly lower weights than I've worked with. These are the inputs I used:
    Full Depth Olympic Squat (decided to do these instead of PL style squats)-300
    Bench-275 (actual 300)
    Deadlift-485 (actual 500)

My thoughts: This style of training is a lot different than what I'm used to. I really like working out with sub maximal weights for lots of volume. For one, I rarely use a training partner, and since im only using 70-80% of my 1RM, i really dont need a spot. Also, I can feel it whipping my body or GPP into shape.

A lot of people rag on sheiko for being too much volume, and that you need to be on steroids to finish each 2 hr workout or whatever.... I can see how the more advanced routines in the spreadsheet can be very demanding and taxing, but I'm specifically talking about the beginner ones. I finish my workouts in about 1.5hrs, and I really dont feel the volume oriented fatigue accumulating yet. I'm starting week 3 today of 29. Maybe week 4 will kill me.

For anyone interested, here's a spreadsheet with all the routines that are floating around
    http://rapidshare.com/files/14013297...08.25.xls.html

And here's one of many threads over on T-Nation with great reviews of this routine
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...h/sheiko_works

Love it!
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 04-12-2009 at 10:35 AM.

I have used sheiko on and off for about a year now. Various routines 27, 28,29, 37 etc. All are similiar some have you training 3 days a week, while others add a 4th day. The %'s range between 55% to 85%, seldom do you go as high as 90%. The volume ranges between 20 and 30 sets. Very little accessory work is done. SOme days you will bench, performing as many as 10 sets increasing in weight, then squat 8-10 sets, then back to benches for another 6-8 sets. You do very little accessory work because its not needed at this point, and the volume is so high you just run out of gas. My experiance is that the more i did sheiko the faster i would burn out. SO if i did an 8 week cycle, then took a week off I would be lucky to get through 4 more weeks of it.

It does three things for the powerlifter (in my opinion).
    1. the volume conditions you for a full meet. I performed very well in meets following a comp phase.
    2. it makes you strong on the 3 lifts. ONce your done doing 5 sets of 3 with 80% benching 6 sets of 2 ith 85% is tough enough to build strength without just falling over.
    3. It helps with your form.

go to the bmf forum and I believe there is a sheiko thread and you can check out all the templates.

Based on your guy's input I could see this working very well for a lot of intermediate/beginner lifters for a few cycles here and there, though I'm willing to bet only a select few can do it long term - sort of like 20 rep squats.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Based on your guy's input I could see this working very well for a lot of intermediate/beginner lifters for a few cycles here and there, though I'm willing to bet only a select few can do it long term - sort of like 20 rep squats.
    I plan on cycling it every few weeks along with madcow advanced. Over the years ive had the best success with madcow in terms of strength/size gains...

a year of sheiko would probably destroy anyone haha

Eric Talmant posts here, so hopefully he'll chime in.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    I plan on cycling it every few weeks along with madcow advanced. Over the years ive had the best success with madcow in terms of strength/size gains...

a year of sheiko would probably destroy anyone haha
    Have you guys ever heard of Victor Furashkine, Alexiy Sivokon, Sergey Moore, Konstantine Pavlov, Irina Abramov, etc. ?

They did not burn out in just one year

We have many other templates that work *much, much better* than the original recommendations of #29, #37, etc.

Dave and I have worked with close to 250 athletes now from all around the world, and we have a pretty good handle on what works and what doesn't.

I am happy to help with whatever questions you guys might have.

Be well,

Eric

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Talmant View Post
    Have you guys ever heard of Victor Furashkine, Alexiy Sivokon, Sergey Moore, Konstantine Pavlov, Irina Abramov, etc. ?

We have many other templates that work *much, much better* than the original recommendations of #29, #37, etc.

Dave and I have worked with close to 250 athletes now from all around the world, and we have a pretty good handle on what works and what doesn't.

Be well,

Eric
    I guess I went w/ the original 29 then 37 programs for beginner because thats what popped up when you type "sheiko Training" into google. This page appears: http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/

I always trust any material from EliteFTS, so I took the recommendations as the page said. Also, the fact that people have been getting great results from 29/37 from sites like T-nation helped me decide to try it.

Are there templates out there that tend to work better for a Raw lifter?? I'm 23/ all natural raw lifter, wanting to spend about a year and really focus on getting my three lifts up to respectable levels.

Regards,
    CMANUEL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Talmant View Post

Be well,

Eric
    Eric, definitely interested in what you guys have learned. I found #29 and #37 beneficial, but if you have improved templates, I would be grateful to know anything you have learned. I suppose my first question would be, what deviations have you made from the #29, #37, #32 string with your other templates? I've seen the 13 week template and it seems to be similar. Also, do you train your raw and equipped lifters with the same templates and if not, how do you handle the percentages for the raw lifter?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Kray-z; 04-15-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray-z View Post
    Eric, definitely interested in what you guys have learned. I found #29 and #37 beneficial, but if you have improved templates, I would be grateful to know anything you have learned. I suppose my first question would be, what deviations have you made from the #29, #37, #32 string with your other templates? I've seen the 13 week template and it seems to be similar. Also, do you train your raw and equipped lifters with the same templates and if not, how do you handle the percentages for the raw lifter?

Thanks for your help!
    Dave and I are headed out to Texas early in the morning for the Clash of the Titans on Saturday. I will be sure to answer your question(s) properly and completely when we get back. Sound good?

Thanks for your patience.

Banned
    Appreciate it. You guys are the best over at EFS

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1400total View Post
    I have used sheiko on and off for about a year now. Various routines 27, 28,29, 37 etc. .
    Where are routines 27 and 28? I have never heard of these.

Banned
    I am curious Too.

Eric, care to chime in on our questions?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    I am curious Too.

Eric, care to chime in on our questions?
    I am pretty positive that they don't exist.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    my gym owner is on it. I'll let you know in a while what he thinks of it
    ...well?
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786