Thread: How to Modify a Bench Shirt? (Closed Back -> Open Back)

Hybrid View

How to Modify a Bench Shirt? (Closed Back -> Open Back)

A friend of mine gave me an old Inzer Blast shirt that I plan on using simply as a safety device to wear when benching. It should be somewhat loose on me which is preferred since I have heard these are not the most comfortable shirts. Basically just looking for something to protect my shoulders / pecs if I decide to do some benching.

I would like to make it an open back shirt so that I can put it on alone. Someone said to just cut from the middle of the back of the shirt up to the back collar and this will make the shirt easy to put on. Seems to make sense but just wanted to verify that this is the right way to do things before I start modifying anything?

Thanks!
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Cut it up the middle of the back or just wear a tight hanes shirt

a tight hanes shirt? lol Dont listen to him Tom....he is a rawwww lifter now lol

Like he said..you can just cut it up the middle of the back. You can cut up to the collar or can cut right up through the collar and be just as good...prolly make it even easier to get on than leaving the collar intact...
    Last edited by bencher8; 04-29-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    a tight hanes shirt? lol Dont listen to him Tom....he is a rawwww lifter now lol

Like he said..you can just cut it up the middle of the back. You can cut up to the collar or can cut right up through the collar and be just as good...prolly make it even easier to get on than leaving the collar intact...

Now Bencher8 don't go getting all sensitive or paranoid on me. I don't need any late night phone calls from you when you standing out on your porch feeling the storm against your bare chest. My comment was not a dig at your Sponsor. The blast shirt is like a t-shirt. If your looking for decent shoulder support and want to stick to the basics I would recomend going with a single ply polly or denim. You don't have to get a jacked Rage or F6 just a basic shirt but nothing advanced.

And Pops that was funny!

TJW
    I'm so glad this thread was started. My roommate got a blast shirt and never used it because he hated that it took forever to get on. I just told him about cutting it and he said I could just have it. My question is this, I know everyone is different, but can I expect much gain in the shirt after some practice?

From everything that I have read the Blast shirt will not give you any real carryover as compared to your Raw bench. If you have a BlastHD you can expect a nominal carryover of 25 lbs or so assuming that you have the right fit.

I just want to lift in it since my triceps and shoulders are much stronger than my chest from doing a lot of overhead work and that makes flat bench dangerous. Last time that I did some benching for a couple of weeks I ended up with a strained pec minor after a couple of weeks that put me on the sideline for about 6 weeks.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

No, you'll get maybe 10lbs out of it.

The blast shirt is honestly like Rob said (no offense though Paul ) it won't give you anything really. Its pretty much the same material that is used now on the backs of the closed back RageX shirts

Tom, the shirt will be perfect for you though. It will definately take a tad bit of stress off your shoulders while still making you do all the work. Greg used a blast shirt the other week just because it was there and what we found was mainly the benefit of it was you more naturally used your shirted groove (meaning elbow placement) which helps take the stress of the shoulders. But yeah, just cut it up the back, that's what we did

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

TJW
    Thanks, I didn't expect much, and I don't feel I am strong enough raw to worry about bench shirts, but it was free, so why not take it. I just didn't want to have to deal with getting help to put it on so this thread was perfectly timed.

It's an INZER Blast shirt....just use it to wash your car. Kinda like a SHAMOOO! LOL. You might as well cut it up the front, back, and down the sleeves. If you want a real bench shirt, get one.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    It's an INZER Blast shirt....just use it to wash your car. Kinda like a SHAMOOO! LOL. You might as well cut it up the front, back, and down the sleeves. If you want a real bench shirt, get one.
    I just got my nightly abs workout after reading this...hahaha!
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Just another 2 cents worth thrown in on ways to cut it. I've never liked having to deal with the shirt tail flopping around on a totally open back shirt, but I love all of the benefits of opening them. What I do now on all of my shirts is to cut it down the back from the collar all the way until 9 inches or so from the bottom and stop there. Leaving the bottom of the shirt tail intact. It's still opened up good at the top but there's enough shirt tail wrapped around you to keep the shirt in place and ready to just belt up and adjust. You might try this first and if you don't like it, later; just cut the last 9 inches and open it on up. This may not work as well with the blast as it does with the newer stretchy back shirts (like Titans and Rages) but you might try it before ripping it all the way.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

TJW
    I am going to cut the back of mine tomorrow...is there any benefit/harm of cutting it all the way and if you don't want to cut it all the way is it best to cut from the collar down, or from the bottom to just before the collar? Thanks for the help.

LMAO! You are on a tear this mornin arent ya? The bad thing is you didnt even put a "lol" after that, so people are gonna think that i really do that, instead of an inside joke lol

go back to "stealth technology" and steal some more ideas from the innovator....
    Last edited by bencher8; 04-30-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    LMAO! You are on a tear this mornin arent ya? The bad thing is you didnt even put a "lol" after that, so people are gonna think that i really do that, instead of an inside joke lol

go back to "stealth technology" and steal some more ideas from the innovator....
    Dude what people don't know about you would be shocking. As far as strealing idea's fron the innovater thats funny. Stealth Inc. is a design of new proportions and will be debue in the near future and there won't be any spray paint covering any logo's. It will be the real deal and I know you will be smoking a fatty and scratching your head thinking where did you go wrong.

Juggernaut
    If you want a training shirt that still retains the properties of supporting the pecs and shoulders...DO NOT cut the back of the neck down. Cut from the bottom up to the middle of the back. Keep the top of the shirt intact to keep your support. Opening the bottom will make it easy to put on. I have some old blasts that I cut that way for the very same purpose and I could put them on myself.