Thread: Jumpin rope between sets...

I'm just a wittle guy

Jumpin rope between sets...

My goal is to trim BF while maintaining as much muscle as possible. I have been doing well up until the past 2 weeks. I have lost a couple inches in the waist and dropped 20lbs. (175 to 155 at 5'9) My BF% I cant be sure because my flippin caliper always gives me different readings.

So my question is how beneficial would it be to jump rope during my rest time between sets? right now I am doing 8 x 8 with a minute of rest in between. I'm not sure where I got that, I think from reading WBB workout. It's been working so far so i haven't questioned it.

Anyway, I was thinking of changing to 1:30 of rest with a minute of jump rope in between to try and lose this last 5-10 pounds that are annoying me. (not on leg day, that would not be possible) I'm stoked to start bulking but want to get the BF down so when I do bulk, i dont go back to looking the way i did.

My routine"

Monday - Basketball in the am 30 min ---- Back / Shoulders pm (Pullups/ bent rows / Presses)

Tuesday - Basketball in the am 30 min --- Core and Sprints in the pm (captains chair / crunches and lower back raises)

Wednesday - Off

Thursday - Softball in the PM

Friday - Legs (squats, lunges and calve raises)

Saturday - Chest / Arms .. Bench / Incline DB Bench / skulls / Curls

Sunday - off

Once i get down to the BF% I want I am going to start SS. I occasionaly throw in deads to start getting the form down but am not comfortable yet. Anyway, jumping rope, yeah or ney?
    (2/1/9)
    1 Month Goal - Hit the gym HARD 4 times a week. No Excuses
    3 Month Goal - Reduced body fat to un-embarrassing levels
    6 Month Goal - Not sure, will decide at 3 months.

(2/1/9)
    5'9"
    175 - Not a good 175
    Embarrassing body fat %. Guessing mid 20's

Don't sweat it, your probally not getting enough calories in as it is doing all the other conditioning/cardio work so your body is hanging onto the fat. Do cardio after a weights, and really crunch down on the diet numbers instead of worrying about extra cardio.

I would keep the weight training and cardio seperate for now. You are in the gym to build muscle - jumping rope between sets is going to severely increase work capacity and will turn your training into more endurance training than bodybuilding. An effective way to burn more calories would be drop sets, circuit training, or simply resting less between sets.

Adding in 20 minutes of walking post-workout while you drink your shake can help to burn off some extra calories as well.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I'm just a wittle guy
    Alrighty... I will stay away from the rope and replace me last set of each muscle group with a drop set. Do you recomend going all the way down, or just 3 drops?
    (2/1/9)

(2/1/9)
    5'9"
    175 - Not a good 175

wouldn't jumping rope in-between sets be considered circuit training? As a personal trainer I have found my clients achieve their greatest results to reduce bodyfat by circuit training...either adding in cardio in-between resistance training sets, or as tom said, reducing the amount of rest time between each set or alternating bodyparts to keep the heart rate up.
    Last edited by heathj; 05-04-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Your rest at 1 min is quite low anyway, so I wouldn't worry about doing jump ropes inbetween. I think it will impact your weight training too much.

Super set, up the reps, rest short in between sets and then if you feel you need to do more cardio, do that on a seperate session perhaps as part of a circuit as Heath suggested.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

I'm just a wittle guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Your rest at 1 min is quite low anyway, so I wouldn't worry about doing jump ropes inbetween. I think it will impact your weight training too much.

Super set, up the reps, rest short in between sets and then if you feel you need to do more cardio, do that on a seperate session perhaps as part of a circuit as Heath suggested.
    Thanks for the advice!

So super sets with still 1 min rest and up the reps to say 8x10? I can handle that. Will report back in a month.

Hope to be ready to start eating like a mad man at that time. After 3 months of trying to loose I am so ready to start throwing raw hamburger into my shake. haha
    (2/1/9)

(2/1/9)
    5'9"
    175 - Not a good 175

You can also keep your repetitions the same and increase time under tension by adjusting the tempo. If you are resting only one minute between sets I would not do drop sets or supersets, with those you need 2-3 minutes rest because your time under tension will almost definitely be longer than one minute. In most cases you want to try to have a 1.5:1 or 1:1 ratio of rest time to time under tension - so if you are doing sets of 12 and it take 1:15 to complete, then rest between 1:15 to 1:45 when training for conditioning. For strength you would want to go 2:1 or 2.5:1 and rest 2.15 to 3.00 between sets.

If your heart is set on jumping rope at the end of your workout you can do a quick interval training program of 50-75 reps jump rope, rest one minute, then repeat - and work up to 500 to 1,000 total reps.

When I do circuit training I do things a little differently. This is an example of one of my circuits:

- Front Squats, 300 lbs x 5
    - Power Cleans, 225 lbs x 5
    - Chins, BW x 10-15
    - Jump Rope, BW x 50 reps

Then rest 3-5 minutes and repeat. Total of 3-5 circuits. Sometimes I will add in a 5th exercise or do an even larger complex on the last set as a "finisher".
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

If you do a bunch of cardio on a cut (caloric restriction) then your cortisol will spike and you will end up burning off muscle.

Its better to honestly choose one or the other especially if its your first cut. Either caloric restriction, or hold your diet at maintenance but just introduce 30mins of cardio every day. This will effectively put you in a caloric restriction around 200-300 calories but will not push you into the extreme (where a bunch of muscle loss will occur).

Remember this is an endurance game (fat loss). Not a sprint.

I'm just a wittle guy
    Hmmmm getting conflicting answers from some quality contributors.

I guess I could combine the answers. Do supersets and be mindfull of the stress / rest ration. If the combined super set of say, curls and skulls, takes 1:30 at 10 reps each, I could increase my rest time to 1:30.

So 8x10 supersets while matching rest time to stress time ratio (1:1) If it takes 2 mins then rest 2 mins. Hows that sound? Or should I just pick one of the recomendations and go with that?

Wow, thanks for all the replies from the mods!
    (2/1/9)

(2/1/9)
    5'9"
    175 - Not a good 175

Wannabebig Member
    20-30 min of low intensity cardio either in the morning when fasted or post workout would probably help

I would agree with Tom, you don't need to overdo it.

If you are super setting, that's very tough so keep some decent rest in between each super set.

If you are not super setting, keep the rest period very short and reps high - it will get you blowing hard for sure.

No reason you can't do high rep, low rest stuff one session and then the next one super sets with more rest. Just make sure you keep the tempo up and heart rate going.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

why do cardio in a fasted state? Its just going to increase cortisol release. Take some carbohydrate with your cardio and you will blunt the cortisol response (by triggering an insulin response). This will also make your body much more efficient during the cardiovascular exercise and you can mix in some high intensity work eventually after you've trained a bit.