Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yolked Diesel Jacked Massive Thick Powerful Beastly ... I Want It

Yolked Diesel Jacked Massive Thick Powerful Beastly ... I Want It

Alright guys so i figured it was finally time to start a journal. Its time to start putting on and moving some real weight...

Just for some background ... Im about 5' 10" 180-185 lbs. at about 15% BF. I started lifting in high school but really had no idea what i was doing. Then once i went to college i stop lifting entirely and really let myself go and after my first year and a half was a very out of shape 200 lbs. I started getting back into the gym 2 winters ago and got back into some decent shape by this winter. Thats when i found this site and learned how to really lift and really got serious about lifting and dieting. This past January i was around 175 lbs. at about 21% BF. I did a little recomp and have been running BGB and am now around 180 lbs. at about 15% BF...

Im going to start an official "bulk" on Monday and am going to run Starting Strength. However im only going to Squat twice a week on Monday and Friday and replace Wednesdays with Rows because i have tried Squatting three times a week and it is not for me my body does not react well to it and i find i fair much better with two Squat sessions a week. Im also going to do 2 sets of 8 reps of Incline DB Press after my Bench on the weeks i bench once a week and on Fridays when i bench twice a week. I find my chest responds better with just a little more volume. Im also going to be doing very light cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays with abs and just 2 sets of DB curls and overhead extensions at the end of my last workout for the week or on Saturdays...

Heres what my diet will look like...

Meal 1: 4 Whole Eggs / Whole Wheat Bagel / 2 Tbsp PB / 16 oz Milk
    Meal 2: Nitrean with Milk / 2 Whole Grain Rice Cakes / 2 Tbsp PB
    Meal 3: Turkey Sandwich on Whole Wheat Protein Bread / 16 oz Milk
    Meal 4 (Pre-WO): Nitrean with Milk / 1/2 Cup Oats / Banana
    Meal 5 (Post-WO): Nitrean with Milk / Dextrose / Creatine Mono
    Meal 6: Lots of Chicken / Lots of Whole Grain Pasta / Salad / 16 oz Milk
    Meal 7: Cottage Cheese / 16 oz Milk

Breakdown: 4,471 Calories / 380g Protein (36%) / 437g Carbs (37%) / 133g Fat (27%)

Where my lift stand as of right now...

Squat: 195 (I know ... weak ... im really trying to get this up!)
    Deadlift: 325
    Bench: 215
    Press: 145
    Clean: 175
    Row: 170x5

Goals...

Squat: 275
    Deadlift: 405
    Bench: 265
    Press: 185
    Clean: 215
    Row: 225x5

Im shooting to reach my strength goals and my weight goal of 210-215 lbs. (From 180-185 lbs.) by September. I know it may be a reach but i figure you gotta shoot big. We'll see what happens ... I am extremely excited to start tomorrow. Ive taken the past 5 days off from the gym to get a fresh start. Im still trying to figure out where to start my weights on my lifts to optimize progression ... Im open to any suggestions ... I look forward to starting my journey and keeping track of my progress here ... Wish me luck!
    Last edited by mcdonough9395; 05-06-2009 at 02:45 PM.

So i started my new diet and SS today. It was sweet just eating even though i wasnt hungry. Bulking is definitely much more fun ... I decided to start my weights rather conservative ... i took what i was working my 5x5s with and took off about 20-30 lbs. and just decided to start my Squat at 135 to really nail down my form and keep the progression going on that. Anyway heres how my workout went...

Workout A

Weigh In: 183

Squat
    Warm-Ups
    135x5x3

Bench
    Warm-Ups
    155x5x3

Deadlift
    Warm-Ups
    225x5x1

Dips
    BWx8x3

These were all pretty easy but im hoping starting off with the conservative weight will payoff in the long run. Cant wait till Wednesday...

I Wanna Be Strong(er)
    aaah yes SS,i ran it 2 yrs ago and made good progress,just stick to it and eat your ass off and then gains will come!
    Last edited by T o m m Y; 05-04-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    Get Strong(er)
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...58#post2340758
    "You Were Born Small & Weak....But Nobody Said You Have To Stay That Way"

"Gain weight - this is almost impossible to recommend right now. The whole world is on a skinny jeans kick and visible abs are "in". What is also in-style is not being a narcissitic pussy. Performance trumps looks EVERYTIME. Just ask the next woman you sleep with" Jim Wendler

Yeah man thats the plan ... Thanks for the encouragement

lookin' good so far bud! i like your current lifts, and your goals, very achievable. also, even though you made some small changes to SS, it's nothing drastic that's going to turn it around completely, I think you could still make some pretty good gains this way!
    so right now you're starting low and you're just gonna add 5lbs each session?
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Banned
    nice work man, your well on your way to building up a very solid base

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    lookin' good so far bud! i like your current lifts, and your goals, very achievable. also, even though you made some small changes to SS, it's nothing drastic that's going to turn it around completely, I think you could still make some pretty good gains this way!
    so right now you're starting low and you're just gonna add 5lbs each session?
    Yeah the small adjustments shouldnt hurt me. And even though i said im only gunna Squat Monday and Friday and replace Wednesday with Rows im actually thinking im gunna start with Squatting all 3 days and then just go to the Rows on Wednesdays when it gets to be too much. And yeah im gunna probably add 10 to my Squats and Pulls at first and just keep adding 5 on my Presses. Well see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    nice work man, your well on your way to building up a very solid base
    Thanks man. Yeah i hope so ... im real excited to get this going.

Ok so today was my first Workout B. Despite what i had told Nockits about trying to start out Squatting all the 3 days i decided against it and stuck with my original plan since i was still rather soar. Heres how it went...

Workout B

Weight: 185
    (This scale at school isnt very good or consistent im expecting my weight to change a little and be more consistent when i get home next week.)

Press
    Warm-Ups
    105x5x3

Rows
    Warm-Ups
    145x5x3

Cleans
    Warm-Ups
    145x3x5

Chins
    BWx8x3

I hadnt Overhead Pressed in awhile and they were a little tougher than i expected but still pretty easy. And I hadnt Cleaned in a little while either (since for some reason they really aggravate my forearms) and i kind of forgot how to do them at first ... so they were a little tough ... but it came back to me after the first set or two. I plan on adding 10 lbs to my Squat and Deadlift next session and adding 5 lbs to everything else.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonough9395 View Post
    And I hadnt Cleaned in a little while either (since for some reason they really aggravate my forearms) and i kind of forgot how to do them at first ...
    Do they hurt your forearms from the racking, or the pull? When I first started, my wrists/arms weren't too flexible, so when I racked the bar on my chest, it would be sore. Make sure you don't pull up with your arms, this could also cause the aggravation, use the momentum of the jump.
    Check out my Journal!

I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Yeah its the transition from the pull to the rack ... i feel i use my arms too much to rack the bar and dont get under the bar enough ... im working on it though.

I added 10 lbs to all my lifts. Ill probably be increasing everything by 5 lbs every workout from here on out...

Workout A

Weigh-In: 186
    (Im afraid i might be gaining too fast. But i think it might just be the quick initial gains ... Ill see where i stand at the end of the week.)

Squats
    Warm-Ups
    145x5x3

Bench
    Warm-Ups
    165x5x3

Deadlift
    Warm-Ups
    235x5x1

Dips
    10x8x3

DB Curls: 40x8 - 45x8
    DB Overhead Tri Extensions: 80x8 - 85x8

I do the 2 sets of curls and extensions just once a week at the end of the week. Everything went pretty well today. Now i gotta wait till Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonough9395 View Post
    Yeah its the transition from the pull to the rack ... i feel i use my arms too much to rack the bar and dont get under the bar enough ... im working on it though.
    definitely work on the jump then, it's supposed to be really explosive.
    keep up the good work! can't wait to see you lift the real big numbers!
    Check out my Journal!

Yeah im working on it. Im still reading through the Power Clean section of SS ... Yeah thanks man. Hopefully i can catch up to you soon and our numbers can be good motivation.

you can catch up to me soon? i think your numbers are already past mine!
    hopefully I can catch up to you.

I'm going to be starting the advanced SS which includes chin-ups and dips, exactly what you're doing. do you know what the set/rep scheme is for dips and chins? i know you're supposed to add weight if you can do 15 reps of your own bodyweight for chins... does the same go for dips?
    Check out my Journal!

you can catch up to me soon? i think your numbers are already past mine!
    hopefully I can catch up to you.
    Na, the stats i posted im my first post were all 1RMs not 5RMs. My Cleans are a little higher and our Bench and Press are about the same but thats about it. Dont really matter though ... hopefully we'll look back on our numbers in a few months and laugh.

Im not sure what the set/rep scheme is ... i dont really think there is a set number since its not really included in Rips original program. I saw somewhere, I think on the SS Wiki that its 3x5-8 which sounds good so im just sticking to that.
    Last edited by mcdonough9395; 05-09-2009 at 09:57 PM.

haha, definitely! first i gotta worry about getting past 3 chin-ups before i can "do 15 and add weight".
    Check out my Journal!

Im kinda mad with myself since i was off my diet for the weekend since i went home for mothers day but it shouldnt hurt me too much. Heres how the workout went...

Workout B

Weigh In: 188

Squats
    Warm-Ups
    150x5x3

Press
    Warm-Ups
    115x5x3

Cleans
    Warm-Ups
    150x3x5

Chins
    BWx8x3

Everything went well today. Still fairly easy. The Presses felt real strong even with the 10 lb increase.

I almost didnt make it to the gym today because i drank myself stupid like a moron last night being that i had finished the semester and had a killer hangover today. I got a second wind though and got my ass to the gym. I started cutting back on my calories a little by taking out my second meal because i felt i was gaining too fast.

Workout A

Weigh In: 187

Bench
    Warm-Ups
    170x5x3

Rows
    Warm-Ups
    155x5x3

Deadlift
    Warm-Ups
    240x5x1

Dips
    20x8x3

Incline DB Press (I do these on the weeks i only Bench once as i said in my original post)
    60x8x2

Everything went well today. Since today was the last day of exams at school the gym was empty since most people went home. At one point i was the only one in the entire gym it was pretty awesome. I start back at the dreaded Ballys on Friday ... Im gunna try to find a new gym at home this summer but its hard to make the switch being that i only pay 9 bucks a month at Ballys.

Ok so i didnt make it to the gym on Friday because again like a moron i drank to much the night before and was to beat the next day to lift. I gotta cut that **** out though. Im gunna try to keep the drinking to Saturdays. Anyway i did my workout today instead and will pick up on Monday like normally.

Workout B

Weigh In: 189 (This was on a legit balance scale at Ballys so ill be able to get more accurate and consistent weigh ins now.)

Squat
    Warm-Ups
    155x5x3

Press
    Warm-Ups
    120x5x3

Cleans
    Warm-Ups
    155x3x3

Chins
    BWx8x3

The Squats felt good. I feel like im really nailing down my form. Presses were good. For some reason the Cleans were HEAVY and i was shot after my third set of 3 so i just called it after that. The BW Chins are getting easier. I think i might start adding weight and keep the reps between 5-8. Cant wait for these weights to start getting heavier.

I did not miss Ballys...

Workout A

Weigh In: 187.5
    Kind of disappointed with this ... I dont get how my weight went down from last time or even from last week. I might have cut back my cals too much ... Im gunna add some. But its not a big deal im still on my 2 lbs a week pace since i gained so much last week. Ill see where I am next Monday.

Squats
    Warm-Ups
    160x5x3

Bench
    Warm-Ups
    175x5x3

Deadlift
    Warm-Ups
    245x5x1

Dips
    25x8x3

The Squats and Deadlifts are getting tougher. The Deads were especially tougher then i thought they should be. On the other hand my Bench felt really good even easier than last time. My lower lower back like right on the top of my ass is hurtin. Im gunna do some hardcore foam rolling tonight ... hopefully that will help it.

Workout B

Weigh In: 188

Press
    Warm-Ups
    125x5x3

Rows
    Warm-Ups
    160x5x3

Cleans
    Warm-Ups
    135x3x5

Chins
    BWx8x2
    BWx6x1

I dropped the Cleans back down to 135 because i feel i really need to work on nailing down my form and technique. I think ill benefit much more from going lighter and learning to do them right. Im also going to start adding weight and start doing 3x5 for the Chins.

good results bro! it's comin along!
    edit: the power cleans are wrong. it has to be 3 sets of 5. i saw a website that had 5 sets of 3 reps, but i believe thats a typo.
    edit: nevermind, apparently people are saying that 5 sets of 3 is correct. weird that my book would say different. maybe there is different versions?
    Last edited by nockits; 05-27-2009 at 05:44 AM.
    Check out my Journal!

Alright so Memorial Day weekend kicked my ass. My routine, diet, and everything just went out the window and i ended up taking a week off. Kind of disappointed but whatever i had a good time and now its time to do work ... atleast till 4th of July weekend haha.

Workout A

Weigh In: 189
    Im happy with this ... i pretty much maintained my weight through the week of binge drinking and eating like ****.

Squats
    Warm-Ups
    165x5x3

Bench
    Warm-Ups
    180x5x3

Deadlift
    Warm-Ups
    250x5x1

Dips
    30x8x1
    30x5x2

So i was thinking about sticking with the same weights as last time being that i took the week off but i said **** it and just kept trucking along. After the 1st set of Squats i thought i was in trouble but the 2nd and 3rd set turned out to be a little easier and i nailed them all pretty well. Bench felt real good again as well as the Deads. For the Dips im gunna keep adding the weight but im gunna knock the sets/reps down to 3x5 ... ill probably do the same thing with my Chins as well.

good results bro! it's comin along!
    edit: the power cleans are wrong. it has to be 3 sets of 5. i saw a website that had 5 sets of 3 reps, but i believe thats a typo.
    edit: nevermind, apparently people are saying that 5 sets of 3 is correct. weird that my book would say different. maybe there is different versions?
    Thanks man. Yeah everythings been pretty easy thus far. Im starting to catch up with myself though and now im gunna really be pushing myself to some new PRs and be making some real gains. Yeah i saw your thread on the Cleans set/rep scheme. But yeah when Rip explains the Cleans in the book and in videos and such he says 5x3 are better but for some reason when he lays out the routine he puts 3x5. I think he probably just did that not to over complicate things but whatever. Its makes sense doing 5x3 with Cleans being a technical and intense movement and i like them better that way so thats how i do them. Im sure it dont make too big a difference though.

Workout B

Weigh In: 190

Squats
    Warm-Ups
    170x5x3

Press
    Warm-Ups
    130x5x3

Rows
    Warm-Ups
    165x5x3

Chins
    BWx8x2
    BWx6x1

So i decided to Squat back to back workouts which i usually dont do but i figured id go for it being that i only got in 2 workouts this week. The Squats felt good but there getting pretty tough. I REALLY felt it in my glutes today. I probably should have kept the Presses the same as last time since i hadnt done them in awhile but i wasnt thinking and moved up any way and they were TOUGH. I managed to grind them out tho. Rows felt real heavy but i pushed through them. And i decided to do one more workout with BW Chins before i start adding weight and going 3x5.