Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i really dont understand why my squats wont progress

Banned

i really dont understand why my squats wont progress

i really dont understand why my squats are so weak. i go ass to grass and i dont dive bomb them =( i cant ever progress on these. im thinking of dropping squats and deadlifts and just being a bench and curls guy. i know that i probably have weak hamstrings but when itry to correct thme i cant. for instance, i cant even sit back on my squats without falling back. ive tried box squatting, and the same thing happens. right now i squat best at closer than shoulder width and going ass to grass, however its apparanent if iever want to squat 3-4 plates im gonna need to get my hamstrings stronger. any tips on what i should do? also even if ianted to box squat im not sure id hit parallel because all i have to squat on is my bench. i can set it to a decline position though but then i fall on it and ****. if ican improve my leg stregth my total would skyrocket and my deadlift would go up as well.
    btw my best squat atg is 260, and right now i can only get 250. and im not cryingeither my squats have been the same since like august
    Last edited by rctriplefresh5; 04-28-2009 at 02:16 PM.

What is the layout of your current routine? What style of SQ are you trying to improve? Do you plan on competing? What is your height and weight? Answer these questions and people can give you more specific feedback. Your question is a little vague right now.

Edit: I noticed you linked to a workout log, but I would still include the above details in this thread for those that don't have time to go back and read through your log.
    Last edited by Sean S; 04-28-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Banned
    right now i basically work up to a heavy single. ive tried routines like 5x5 where you work up to a 5rm and i dint really like that. i am around 6'2 170 pounds, and im sure ill get the same generic response of just eat, but idl like to think i can get at least a 275 squat without gaining weight. i am trying to improve my olympic style squat and no i do not plan on competing. i mean i can bench more than i squat, and ican progress faster on bench than i can on squat. my form is just as strict on bench as it is on squats. and i dont even use leg drive, arched back or tucked elbows in my bench so i dont know why my squat hasnt caught up to my bench. ive been benching over 4 years though and squatting for as long a one year.

I'd do this. After you squat do either RDL, SLDL, dimmel deadlifts, or wide stance GMs as an accessory. For everything except dimmel's work up to a heavy set of 5-8 reps. Keep pushing that heavy set higher. Do the same after you deadlift. Always keep the exercises rotating.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

TAke a video so we can see what your doing. From the sounds of it, your form is probably wack. Especially if you can do 275x22 on platform deadlifts. I dont think your hamstrings are your weak spot.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    i do pulls on thursdays and squat twice a week shpould i just do the pulls on squatting days and not do pulls on thursdays
    ?

squatting days are mon and saturdays./

you should be pulling the same day you squat

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    i dont have a video camera, and lift at my house so i cant get videos.i squat with a very close stance somtimes closer than shoulder width(thats where i feel most comfortable) however i notice on the heavier weights i tend to slightly good morning the weights up. ive contributed this to being 6'2 and trying to be an atg squatter?
    Last edited by rctriplefresh5; 04-28-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    you should be pulling the same day you squat
    well heres my current routine.
    i do bench and squats on tuesday(i work up to a 2 rep max on benchincreasing the weight by 5 pounds a week, squats i work up to a single b/c i suck at life)

then thursdays i do my pulling

and saturdays i do bench and squats again.(i work up to a 2 rep max on benchincreasing the weight by 5 pounds a week, squats i work up to a single b/c i suck at life)

how should i change this up? im guessing i shouldnt be pulling twice a week?

and im not gonna lie ive always cared about benching the most. im not willing to sacrifice my bench by doing smolov or something to up my squat lol. im a bench whore.
    Last edited by rctriplefresh5; 04-28-2009 at 02:37 PM.

My advice would be to get on some sort of established program (Westside, 5/3/1, etc...). Pick something and stay with it for a while. I've not seen many people who can work up and grind out a 1-2RM on the same exercise week after week and make good progress. One of these other programs would give you a more systematic approach to keep the gains coming over a longer period of time.
    I wasn't able to SQ over 330# until I got above 220 lbs. at 6'1". If I were 170, I would barely be able to SQ my bodyweight.

Your going heavy twice a week? That could be your problem then. Find a solid routine like westside or 5/3/1 like others said. Im going to be trying matt rhodes raw squat program. Ive heard good things about it.
    Last edited by slashkills; 04-28-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Same thing is happening with me man. My squat cant go up like my bench or deadlift. I think I may stop going ass to grass.

I'm sure you could probably improve technique (as we all could), but, looking at your log of the last two weeks, I see three squat sessions and in every one of them you are basically working up to a max and that's it...

You need to back off and do some quality volume... It ain't rocket science.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    I wish I had a dollar for every time I recommended this to someone...read this.........
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_ready.htm

And this......http://www.elitefts.com/documents/raw_squatting.htm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I'm sure you could probably improve technique (as we all could), but, looking at your log of the last two weeks, I see three squat sessions and in every one of them you are basically working up to a max and that's it...

You need to back off and do some quality volume... It ain't rocket science.
    elieve it or not i used to do a lot more volume and my bench was around 5 pounds higher than it is now last year and then stalled. so i finally took out all volume, and just do one heavy set and for the first time in a year im going up 5 pounds a week on bench. i will hit a pr for the first time in a year in to weeks lol. i will defiinately switch to a routine like westside once my bench stops progressing though. ive also got to wait a few weeks because im trying to fix my deadlift form. im also working up to a long term goal of hitting 315x20 reps off of a 4 inch deficit and if i hit 285 on thursday i will have 40 more pounds to go which will take anywhere from 4-8 weeks assuming i dont stall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian999 View Post
    Same thing is happening with me man. My squat cant go up like my bench or deadlift. I think I may stop going ass to grass.
    yeah man id hate to do that though. theres nothing like going ass to grass.

Squats and deadlifts are genuinely hard work. Some people aren't cut out for hard work.

RC,
    Look, I hate to sound like a conceited prick, but I think there is a need - you are looking for excuses. I gave you essentially the same advice in this thread which you summarily dismissed just as you are here.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123090

You don't need more box squats or sumo deadlifts or DLs to improve your squat, YOU NEED TO SQUAT MORE PURE AND SIMPLE. You say you "didn't really like 5x5"? Well fine, then do heavy triples or sets of 6 or 7... it doesn't matter, but get in some quality volume for Christ's sake.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Banned
    should i be squatting 3x a week? i elt overtrained doing that, so i cut it down to two times a week? would doing smolov for squats hinder my bench at all? for me personally ive always responded to a high percentage of my 1rm with lower volume. sheiko personally destroyed my lifts. what do you reccomend i start doing? i like the heavy triples idea though, but what would you qualify as heavy? like 230?
    Last edited by rctriplefresh5; 04-28-2009 at 10:04 PM.

RC,
    Look, I hate to sound like a conceited prick, but I think there is a need - you are looking for excuses. I gave you essentially the same advice in this thread which you summarily dismissed just as you are here.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123090

You don't need more box squats or sumo deadlifts or DLs to improve your squat, YOU NEED TO SQUAT MORE PURE AND SIMPLE. You say you "didn't really like 5x5"? Well fine, then do heavy triples or sets of 6 or 7... it doesn't matter, but get in some quality volume for Christ's sake.
    Listen to the man.

Squat more. Stop working up to a single and failing. Drop the weight to 205-225 and do reps. Try 5x5 or 3x8 for 3 months, then take a light deload week, and then work your way up to a 1rm the following week. I'd be shocked if you didnt set a new PR.
    Last edited by Detard; 04-28-2009 at 10:07 PM.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

You definitely need to listen to Sensei. Get your volume up for a while. Try 8 sets of 3 or something. Also, get up a video of you squatting, work on your form (always)...and also help us out by letting us know what kind of a lifter you are - long legs, short legs, long torso, short torso...long femur?

Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
    should i be squatting 3x a week? i elt overtrained doing that, so i cut it down to two times a week? would doing smolov for squats hinder my bench at all? for me personally ive always responded to a high percentage of my 1rm with lower volume. sheiko personally destroyed my lifts. what do you reccomend i start doing? i like the heavy triples idea though, but what would you qualify as heavy? like 230?
    Don't do Smolov until you can atleast squat 315...or better - double bodyweight.

As for the triples, start out light...make sure you get ALL 8-10 sets of 3. Then bump the weight up in the following weeks.

Don't do Smolov. Squat 2x/week - once heavy, once medium. That's my suggestion.

For you, "heavy" should be 3-6 sets of 3-6 reps and they should be HARD. Your medium day should be 3 sets of 5-10 reps and they shouldn't be gut-bustingly hard, you should leave at least a rep or two in the tank with each set.

JMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    Don't do Smolov until you can atleast squat 315...or better - double bodyweight.

As for the triples, start out light...make sure you get ALL 8-10 sets of 3. Then bump the weight up in the following weeks.
    smolov says 1.5 bw which im past but i do agree with you as its not neseccary for a squatter like myself lol.
    Don't do Smolov. Squat 2x/week - once heavy, once medium. That's my suggestion.

For you, "heavy" should be 3-6 sets of 3-6 reps and they should be HARD. Your medium day should be 3 sets of 5-10 reps and they shouldn't be gut-bustingly hard, you should leave at least a rep or two in the tank with each set.

JMO.
    ill reduce the weight to 225 for my heavy day. 225 for 3 reps should be pretty hard for me. if its not ill jsut oincrease it to 230 the next day. i guess ill drop the weight down to 205 on my medium day and do around 6 reps of that.

so i shouldnt be ramping the weights up? jsut do 3 sets of 225 on my heavy day after a warmup of 135? and 3 sets of 205 on my medium day after a warmup of 135? INYO do you feel i should increase weight each week?
    Last edited by rctriplefresh5; 04-28-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
    smolov says 1.5 bw which im past but i do agree with you as its not neseccary for a squatter like myself lol.

ill reduce the weight to 225 for my heavy day. 225 for 3 reps should be pretty hard for me. if its not ill jsut oincrease it to 230 the next day. i guess ill drop the weight down to 205 on my medium day and do around 6 reps of that.

so i shouldnt be ramping the weights up? jsut do 3 sets of 225 on my heavy day after a warmup of 135? and 3 sets of 205 on my medium day after a warmup of 135? INYO do you feel i should increase weight each week?
    Try this next day

bar X whatever
    135 x 5 - or whatever you need to get warmed up
    185 x 5 - or whatever you need to get warmed up
    205x6
    205x6
    205x6
    205x6

if you get 6 reps in all 4 sets, next week up the weight to 210 and try the same thing, or 215.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Banned
    alright my next squatting dfay is on saturday so i guess i will make that my mediums day.i usually get tired from doing squats in general lol so i think im just going to fo bwx20(these dont tire me out for some reason) then 135x3 and then 185x4 then jump into my sets. i know by the last set or two 205 is going to feel hard.