Thread: Novus Bars and UD2

Novus Bars and UD2

I just received my Novus bars which I love anyway.

I just started UD2 and today is a low carb day and looking at the back of the label it says 31g Carbs but then also says 3g of Net carbs.

So I would like to know if its 3 or 31 if its three I can eat this one that Im staring at my desk if not I will have to put it away until thursday

thanks

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    31g is total carbs which include carbs from fiber and sugar alcohols. The 3g net carbs are the digestible carbs (which I believe turns out to be sugar and trace amounts of starch). Both fiber and sugar alcohols are not completely digestible and not fully absorbed in the GI tract.

I know Lyle doesn't talk about sugar alcohols in UD2 but you should be good eating a Novus bar during depletion days.

EDIT: I think I may have been wrong. I would avoid Novus or any sugar alcohol during UD2 depletion phase.
    Last edited by Progress; 05-04-2009 at 02:54 PM.

This thread seemed like a good place to ask something I had been thinking about recently. I always see things which say net carbs (total carbs - sugar alcohol and fiber carbs). When you are doing any type of carb cycling diet or just in general when you are counting macros do you count the total carbs or just the net carbs?
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Quote Originally Posted by SMK41 View Post
    This thread seemed like a good place to ask something I had been thinking about recently. I always see things which say net carbs (total carbs - sugar alcohol and fiber carbs). When you are doing any type of carb cycling diet or just in general when you are counting macros do you count the total carbs or just the net carbs?
    It's not very clear. Most dietary carbs (sugar) contain 4 kcals/g. Sugar alcohols range from 0-4 but typically average around 2.6 kcals/g. Like I mentioned above, sugar alcohols aren't as easily digested and absorbed and result in less insulin secretion.

I should add, too much sugar alcohols can wreak havoc on your GI tract.

On second thought, I think if you're doing UD2 and go ketogenic during depletion phase, avoid sugar alcohols.

great for carb-up days, not so great for depletion during the week