The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Living the dream

10 months ago I "re" found powerlifting and this message board in particular and I haven't been the same since. I wanted to thank everyone here who helped me when I first started out and who continue to help and inspire me. After 6 or 7 years away from heavier lifting it took some time to get my strength back but I am just loving the journey. I recently accomplished one of my biggest short term goals when I made one of Jon's top 50 lists over at powerliftingwatch.com. Training by myself I need to find things that motivate me and that list is a big one. Here is my brief progress chart so to speak

Sept 19, 2008 - first meet (6 weeks of training) 275 RAW (38 years old)
    Squat 440
    Bench 330
    Deadlift 470
    Total 1243

**After losing roughly 2 months of leg training because of a knee injury I did my first full squat with 135 on Feb 7th. Thank goodness for muscle memory.

Feb 28, 2009 Hwy (281) RAW
    Squat 468
    Bench 352
    Deadlift 501 - had to switch to sumo - which I suck at but it is what I had to do
    Total 1325

April 18, 2009 308 (281) RAW - by fed standards
    Squat 556 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDd28...e=channel_page
    Bench 363 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0Ft...eature=channel
    Deadlift 501 - missed 523 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTPz...eature=channel
    Total 1421

I am back to conventional deads and I have my sights set on a 1500 total for my June 27th meet. I've learned a lot about training here and that has allowed me to stay healthy as of late. I am also trying to grow the sport here in town - trying to get people involved and it is happening. The local news did a story on my lifting.

I must first say the opening lines made me uncomfortable as there are quite a few guys I know in town that are stronger than me let alone the state but the story has generated a buzz and it has sparked interest. The kids I teach really thought it was cool. http://www.kxmb.com/video.asp?Articl...&VideoId=27776

I wanted to say thanks again to all of you - pros or Joe's like me - the topics, the discussion, the sharing of ideas - all of it has helped me tremendously.
    Last edited by fulldaddy; 05-02-2009 at 04:14 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This is really cool. Im in the same boat as you as I left the sport due to injury and returned 11 years later to the sport at age 37. Good luck in all your ventures and may you be stronger tommorrow
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fulldaddy View Post
    April 18, 2009 308 (281) RAW - by fed standards
    Squat 556 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDd28...e=channel_page
    Bench 363 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0Ft...eature=channel
    Deadlift 501 - missed 523 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTPz...eature=channel
    Total 1421
    Nice lifting.

I must first say the opening lines made me uncomfortable as there are quite a few guys I know in town that are stronger than me let alone the state but the story has generated a buzz and it has sparked interest. The kids I teach really thought it was cool. http://www.kxmb.com/video.asp?Articl...&VideoId=27776

Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    This is really cool. Im in the same boat as you as I left the sport due to injury and returned 11 years later to the sport at age 37. Good luck in all your ventures and may you be stronger tommorrow
    That's awesome Brian - good luck to you as well & thank you. My plan has been to take this first year & a half to learn the sport, attain & build on my former strength levels (minus 35lbs of bodyweight), and looks towards the Masters Divison. After spending so much of my life training for football - it is so awesome to have something to train for again.

Thanks BTO - I think we both started posting on here around the same time and it has been really cool to watch your progress. I think I told you that you would be benching 400 this year!

I think I have a good plan that is working for me & that will allow me to progress steadily and stay healthy. I warm up/stretch every day, ice down after every workout - it may take a lot of extra time but to me it is a no brainer. I may do a geared meet by the end of the year but I'd like to squat 600 raw this year & along with a 390 raw bench (I'd be ok with 400 too haha). Now that I am back to deadlifting conventional I am excited about where that can go. Everything this year is meant to lay the foundation for 2010. Like the news story said - right now my ultimate goal isn't a number total but to represent the US in international competition (in masters competition of course). We'll see. Thanks again guys.

Banned
    I think we both started posting on here around the same time and it has been really cool to watch your progress.
    Yup, and thanks.

I think I told you that you would be benching 400 this year!
    Maybe you need to tell me I'll be benching 500 sometime, lol. Just kidding, I've appreciated your encouragement.

thats awsome man and awesome numbers. good luck with your training!
    750/425/625/1800 at SPF Georgia State meet on 8/07/10
    Started Powerlifting: September 08
    Phillipians 4:13
    Pslams 23:4

Thanks Mosley - good luck with your upcoming meet and your journey in the sport.

Go get that 1500 total at the June 27th meet! Good luck!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I really enjoy reading a post like this. These sort of posts are why we have these forums. Thank you.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thank you guys - I appreciate the kind words. Sharing your insight & helping foster that positive environment is what makes this site such a great resource.

vdizenzo - I love the quote you have on your signature
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

This really hit home for me as I turn 39 this summer and I really feel like I am starting to come into my own. To be able to push myself & compete in something again really reinforces a feeling of self esteem & self worth.
    Last edited by fulldaddy; 05-05-2009 at 11:39 AM.