Thread: Rest/Pause Training

I was reading an article about this in Ironman Magazine. Has anyone tried this? Is it very effective? From what Mike Mentzer said, it seemed to be effective and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

re:

I think Mike does know what he's talking about.
    And those gains that he made were done without Steroids at that time, But then again he has perfect genetics.

Mike Mentzer does NOT have perfect genetics, he used steroids more than he admits to, and yes, rest pause training is kick ass.

re:

wasnt mentzer the only guy in history who scored a perfect score at the olympia?
    Okay, he may not have perfect genetics but getting a perfect score was a great acheivement.

Yeah, he used steroids, but didn't he use the rest/pause training before? Then start using steroids once he got into competitions?

What I am saying is that you cannot believe everything he says concerning his use of steroids. A lot of the older bodybuilders kind of half admit to use by saying that they "only" used just before contests etc. If you believe that, I have some swampland in Florida waiting for you. They use less than the guys do now, but not just a little before contests.

Mentzer NEVER won the Olympia, he got a perfect score at a IFBB World Championship contest.
    Last edited by chris mason; 04-14-2001 at 04:35 PM.

Canadian
    can anyone tell me what rest/pause training is?
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

Rest pause training involves performing 1 rep maximums with very little rest between sets (per se). You take weight that you can lift for only 1 rep with strict form, perform the rep and then rack the weight. Wait approximately 10 seconds, do it again. Wait another 10 seconds and repeat. Then wait 15 seconds and repeat etc. You will probably need to reduce the weight or have a spotter after the 3rd or 4th rep. Complete 8 or so reps in this fashion, that is rest pause training.

Would you suggest doing rets pause every workout chris, or just every so often?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Canadian
    thanks
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

Also I kind of use rest and pause at the end of some of my normal working sets, normally biceps....

I.e I perform 6 reps and hit failure on 7.. I let the weight hang for 5 secs and squeeze one more out.. Then I let it hang for 10 secs and squeeze out another...

The time resting allows me to get a few more reps at the end..

You think this is a good way to use rest pause ?

I think rest pause is a technique one could use in their training for a specific bodypart for a period of time. I would not use it for more than 1 or 2 bodyparts at a time. I would also suggest that it is a method that is best used periodically for a few months.

Hulk, what you are doing is very similar in concept, except you are exhausting your concentric strength to a certain level before you do it. In other words, you are not using a maximum fresh strength rep since you are doing it at the end of your set. I do think that what you are doing is very good way to train all of the time.

3:16
    i like to trian in a similar fashion to you hulk especially in eg deadlift as to drop set would take to long as you have to run round taking the weights off then then restrap up so you might as well not move for 5-10 seconds and get a final 1-2 reps out. i prefer this as i can not do forced reps etc as training by myself.