Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Me bench day

  1. #1
    Senior Member Fighter_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    684

    Me bench day

    Tomorrow is my ME Bench day. I was going to do

    2 board press work up to max 1

    4 board press work up to max 5

    Elbow out extensions 3x15

    Chest Supported Rows 3x10

    Face Pulls 3x15

    Dumbell Press 3x8. I'm kind of thinking doing these presses will be doing to much. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    145
    Yeah, I think you've got it right. Skip the db presses more isn't always better. If you have a DE day you might throw them in there if you need to.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,364
    What he ^ said!


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  4. #4
    Senior Member Fighter_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    684
    Sounds good, thanks.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,486
    Where do you miss at? If you miss off the chest, then I'd do the dumbbells. If you miss near lockout, then do the 4-bd. Basically, pick exercise that work your weaknesses and/or you suck at doing.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    287
    skip the d-bell presses, DE day is bottom end work, upper back is bottom end work. dumbell presses are good but save them for de day and don't over do them. i mix in illegal wide grips on flat and decline occasionally on de day. I would also try to do more full range movements if you are gonna do a 4 board. example-full range rev. band press for 1rm then 4 brd 5rm no bands.... i just don't see the point of running 2br and then 4 brd. as they are only 3inch difference.. if you do decide to run 2 and then 4 brd. atleast switch grips......

  7. #7
    Senior Member Fighter_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    skip the d-bell presses, DE day is bottom end work, upper back is bottom end work. dumbell presses are good but save them for de day and don't over do them. i mix in illegal wide grips on flat and decline occasionally on de day. I would also try to do more full range movements if you are gonna do a 4 board. example-full range rev. band press for 1rm then 4 brd 5rm no bands.... i just don't see the point of running 2br and then 4 brd. as they are only 3inch difference.. if you do decide to run 2 and then 4 brd. atleast switch grips......
    I got the 2 board then 4 board from Westside Barbell Book of methods....

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    287
    rite on, but if you ask louie now, he would probobly tell you to do more full range movements, i think........

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    287
    maybe travis bell should chime in....thats where he trains..

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rock Falls IL
    Posts
    740
    OK my 2 cents..........
    I train slightly different from a lot of people. But then I am slightly different. I don't call training days ME or DE or what ever initials you guys use. I don't follow West Side, Militia, or who ever else has a template. I just do what I need to do.

    For sake of argument my Chest day is always my heavy day. When working for strength with equipment I warm up raw with the sets looking like this barx12x2, ??x10, ??x8, ??x5, ??x2, ??x2 or 1 then I throw my shirt on 3,2,1 brd work usually try to do 6-8 sets in a shirt doubles or singles depending on my mood and where I am at in my training cycle. Now call me a pussy but when I am done with my shirt work my body is usually fried so I will pick one assitance exercise and do 3 to 4 sets to failure and thats my day.

    OK now on my assitance day or tri-cep day I do lock outs raw with 4 & 5 brds I warm up full range for 2 sets of 12 and then go right to a 4 brd.and usually do 6 sets of tripples to a 4 brd. Once I hit a wall and can't get a tripple I jump to a 5 brd and do 1 or 2 sets of tripples. Then I do my speed work with either bands or chains usually 4 to 5 sets of 5 reps. After that I pick 2 tri-cep exercises and do @ 4 sets of each exercises.

    So as you see I train heavy both days and then throw in a little speed. This works for me but like I said I may be a little different. nd I also have a leg day, back day, Shoulder day, and Bicep & Forearm day.
    Last edited by Rob Luyando; 05-01-2009 at 07:54 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    287
    that is alot of volume rob, it obviously works for you. how often do you deload? every 4th week or just when you feel like it?

  12. #12
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    OK my 2 cents..........
    I train slightly different from a lot of people. But then I am slightly different. I don't call training days ME or DE or what ever initials you guys use. I don't follow West Side, Militia, or who ever else has a template. I just do what I need to do.

    For sake of argument my Chest day is always my heavy day. When working for strength with equipment I warm up raw with the sets looking like this barx12x2, ??x10, ??x8, ??x5, ??x2, ??x2 or 1 then I throw my shirt on 3,2,1 brd work usually try to do 6-8 sets in a shirt doubles or singles depending on my mood and where I am at in my training cycle. Now call me a pussy but when I am done with my shirt work my body is usually fried so I will pick one assitance exercise and do 3 to 4 sets to failure and thats my day.

    OK now on my assitance day or tri-cep day I do lock outs raw with 4 & 5 brds I warm up full range for 2 sets of 12 and then go right to a 4 brd.and usually do 6 sets of tripples to a 4 brd. Once I hit a wall and can't get a tripple I jump to a 5 brd and do 1 or 2 sets of tripples. Then I do my speed work with either bands or chains usually 4 to 5 sets of 5 reps. After that I pick 2 tri-cep exercises and do @ 4 sets of each exercises.

    So as you see I train heavy both days and then throw in a little speed. This works for me but like I said I may be a little different. nd I also have a leg day, back day, Shoulder day, and Bicep & Forearm day.
    '

    Rob do you keep a journal anywhere?
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rock Falls IL
    Posts
    740
    Just keeping a paper log for now till i decide where and when I want to post a log. Have a few things in the works. As for Deloading when I am training in a shirt I will deload about every 4 weeks on on my shirted day. I don't back down my 2nd day.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Fighter_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    684
    How do you deload?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,617
    Deload basically means "take it easy." Just do some light sets of 5 with flat benching, back off on the accessory work a bit. That's just an example. You could do other things instead. It's an opportunity to give your body a break.

  16. #16
    Senior Member BFGUITAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,618
    Question.

    Why generally are accessory work for back and shoulders done with high volume for westside?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    287
    because it is ASSISTANCE WORK. last i checked there wasen't any barbell row competitions.
    Last edited by barbell01; 05-04-2009 at 09:43 AM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    287
    you should research deload on your computer, there is many ways to "deload" depending on how your body feels. i usually deload by taking a week off my heavy lifts but continue to train my assistance work. this gives your joints a break and signifigantly lowers your workload without shorting yourself on gym time.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rock Falls IL
    Posts
    740
    Everyone deloads different. When I am training in a shirt I just work upto 150 lbs shy of my best lift. For me that is enough to give my body a break. Now that I have been training all raw when my body feels like it needs a deload I just skip take a day off.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    563
    a little different? thats an understatement..

    i would say it sounds like you are bb'ing with a chest day, shoulder day, but after hearing how much you eat..you are a 275 powerlifter for sure! lol You are gonna make a comeback in the 308...
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

    Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

    Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

  21. #21
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,364
    Deload grrrrrrrrr. Most lifters don't have to think about deloading until they have trained heavy for five years straight. A deload for someone in the beginning stages of heavy training is if they have a wedding, funeral, graduation, etc. on a training day and have to skip it. When I hear/read about some guys deloading I want to puke. Get strong--then deload! That's the truth and I'm just the ********* to say it.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  22. #22
    Senior Member Fighter_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    684
    Alright thanks for all the replies.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rock Falls IL
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Deload grrrrrrrrr. Most lifters don't have to think about deloading until they have trained heavy for five years straight. A deload for someone in the beginning stages of heavy training is if they have a wedding, funeral, graduation, etc. on a training day and have to skip it. When I hear/read about some guys deloading I want to puke. Get strong--then deload! That's the truth and I'm just the ********* to say it.
    Vincent your are right I ddin't start doing a deload until u get strong. I didn't strt deloading until about a year ago. Main thing is to listen to your body

Similar Threads

  1. my bench is horrible
    By jtteg_x in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
  2. Concerns about Bench and DB Press on the same day
    By freac in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 11:39 PM
  3. Ashes' Lifting Journal
    By ashes in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 06:19 PM
  4. Bench Press 600 Pounds
    By pittbull7 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 12:15 AM
  5. The Poliquin Principles
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 09:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •