Thread: Trying to work my stomach to be more muscular, as well as work my arms a bit more

Wannabebig Member

Trying to work my stomach to be more muscular, as well as work my arms a bit more

Bench: 315 (Maxes)
    Squat: Don't really care much for, because in mys chool/gym all they have is a bar that digs between my spine and shoulders.
    Incline: 275
    Power Clean, never really been too serious about.

I can do a set of 20 w/ 100lbs dumbbells

Can curl 115-120lbs.

Any advice on a workout routine would be good.

I'll work Cardio after that particular workout (so I don't loose speed in my legs)

Thank you for any assistance.

You need to squat and deadlift too. Id recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rppetoe. Youd also benefit from doing some reading here on the forums and on wannabebig.com
    Sarvamangalam!

Man, just going to forewarn you...

The guys on here are going to blast you for posting your curl max. Note the title of the website, "wannabebig.com." You don't get big curling. Deadlifts and squats will increase your musculature 10x faster that doing curls. All squat bars are created equal: The same bar digs into all of us. Take some friendly advice, suck it up, and start squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by brock7142 View Post
    Bench: 315 (Maxes)
    Squat: Don't really care much for, because in mys chool/gym all they have is a bar that digs between my spine and shoulders.
    Here's the best advice I can give you, and I promise you I'm not trying to be an ass... But...

Man the hell up.

Put the bar on your back and squat.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Here's the best advice I can give you, and I promise you I'm not trying to be an ass... But...

Man the hell up.

Put the bar on your back and squat.

It's not about manning up, the pain I don't care for. (I rather enjoy pain actually) it's injuring my neck I'm worried about, because that alone can jeopardize my Enlistment later on for the PULHES I have to meet for the jobs I want. =/
    322lbs/6'4''/19 y/o
    315 bench
    275 incline
    1200 leg press (don't care much for leg press anymore, need to work more on weightless squats/body weight workouts as far as my legs go)
    SU- 52, PU- 54, 2 mile time: 18:11 Any info on how I could improve my stats, PM me, I'm all years, BTW, I don't take any form of supplements.

Honestly, your posting in the wrong section. We believe more in kegs than sixpacks. Strength comes before looks. If you want strength, then I agree that starting with Startng Strength would be good. If its the looks your after, then check out the guys over in the bodybuilding section. You'll definately find what you want there.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Honestly, your posting in the wrong section. We believe more in kegs than sixpacks. Strength comes before looks. If you want strength, then I agree that starting with Startng Strength would be good. If its the looks your after, then check out the guys over in the bodybuilding section. You'll definately find what you want there.
    On contrary, I actually want both.

I know I'll have to balance between power lifting and body building.

Any thoughts on a workout routine that may allow me to balance between body building and power lifting?

I need the aerobic endurance of maxing the 27-30y/o APFT standards found on google
    77+ PU in two minutes, 82+ SU in two minutes, and than a 14:00 two mile time. That's the Aerobic Endurance I need. but on top of that, I want to build myself to a 350lbs Bench max, 320lbs incline, squat max of roughly 300-400lbs.

I know I'm going to have to trade some stuff around, but those are the Anerobic and Aerobic physical fitness stats I personally want to aim for as my goal.
    Last edited by brock7142; 05-05-2009 at 10:56 AM.
    322lbs/6'4''/19 y/o
    315 bench
    275 incline
    1200 leg press (don't care much for leg press anymore, need to work more on weightless squats/body weight workouts as far as my legs go)
    SU- 52, PU- 54, 2 mile time: 18:11 Any info on how I could improve my stats, PM me, I'm all years, BTW, I don't take any form of supplements.

I would check out the GPP section. Thats exactly what your looking for.
    Last edited by Brian C; 05-05-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    I would check out the GPP section. Thats exactly what your looking for.

Thank you
    322lbs/6'4''/19 y/o
    315 bench
    275 incline

anybody scared of squatting makes up silly excuses like that. try a lower bar placement, just below your traps. if you are gonna curl, do it LIGHT, and do hammer curl. light so that you dont stress your lower back from all the deads and squats you've been doing.........otherwise have a good time with your incline bench, 120 curl, abb routine. don't let us know how that goes. thanx, jeff

oh, and i hope i don't run into you at a leg press competition.......wait, they don't have those do they? nevermind then........hahahhahahahha

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    oh, and i hope i don't run into you at a leg press competition.......wait, they don't have those do they? nevermind then........hahahhahahahha
    Don't really care for leg press all that much, but regarding squats, it's causing physical injury to myself is what I'm worried about.

PULHES I have to meet is what I'm worried about whenever I do squats.

I have no probs throwing on my pack and doing Squats with 60lbs, etc. But with using a bar across my shoulders is what I'm worried about, I don't want to risk injuring myself which would result in being disqualified for military service.
    Last edited by brock7142; 05-05-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    322lbs/6'4''/19 y/o
    315 bench
    275 incline

this thread is done....

Causing physical injury is your concern, but you're looking to go into the military?

And second of all, it sounds like the military wouldn't want you. You're really being a wuss here. The bar isn't going to hurt your neck because it shouldn't even be ON your neck. That's one of the worst excuses I have ever heard.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Being a vet myself ofthe Gulf War, I would stay in the GPP area and concetrate on cardio and body weight exercises, along with basic compound lifting movements for higher reps(squats included). THIS is what is going to progress you if its the military your looking at.
    Last edited by Brian C; 05-05-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Causing physical injury is your concern, but you're looking to go into the military?

And second of all, it sounds like the military wouldn't want you. You're really being a wuss here. The bar isn't going to hurt your neck because it shouldn't even be ON your neck. That's one of the worst excuses I have ever heard.

Once I'm IN the Army, I don't care if I get injured or not. It's BEFORE the Army is what I'm worried about.

And injuring my neck, because I have wide, broad shoulders, and it digs into the base of my neck, and starts digging in-between my vertebra.

I stopped doing Squats with anything above 160lbs, because I felt a pop and my buddy next to me heard a low "snap" when it happened, and I started feeling a surge of pain throughout my upper back. Haven't had that sensation since. But THAT is what scares the crap out of me, because I remember last time I was at MEPS a kid got DQd because a spinal mis alignment, and talking to him before he left, it was a SQUATTING INJURY.

THAT is what scares the crap out of me.

The Army has been a dream of mine going on roughly ten years now if not longer. And I absolutely refuse to risk a PULHES disqualification.

I don't know if you're American, or not. But the United States Army, especially if you want Combat Arms, (I hope to join the ranks of the Infantry) isn't easy at all to get into. If you have a messed up leg, or screwed up shoulder or whatever, it risks disqualification for service. Once you're IN that's one thing, but I'm not IN yet.
    322lbs/6'4''/19 y/o
    315 bench
    275 incline

^^^I was in the 101st Airbourne. Take my advice and goodluck.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro

Then you may as well just sit at home all day and go out in a bubble when you do get brave enough to venture out.

Life is too short to worry about crap like that. You can get hurt doing anything during the course of a day. Squatting isn't any different.

If you want to increase your squat, then you NEED to squat, and you need to squat with heavy weights.

If you don't care about your squat, then you don't need to squat and you should stick with GPP, as that's what's necessary for the military.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

PS- Skinny is the way to go. Muscle just weighs you down. ( I was 155lbs at 5'9 during my time)
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro

Banned
    Stop being a pansy. Believe me, there are men on here that lift much more than your 160 pounds without problems. Learn how to squat and the injuries don't happen. Oh, and some dude getting his spine misaligned from squats - I doubt it.

If you were doing the lifts with proper form you wouldn't have to worry about an injury...unless of course you're lifting massive amounts of weight like some people here. Like KoSh said, man up...lifting isn't supposed to be easy.
    Currently: Sore

Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic across multiple forums. Thanks

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym