The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorate RAW routine

I am curious what you guys have used to increase your raw total. Currently I am using Wender's 5/3/1 (have been for the past 2 months). It has been working for my squat nicely, but not so much for me for my deadlift or bench. I perhaps may have over estimated my numbers (most likely). What style routine has worked for your raw total? I am thinking of going back to bill starr's 5x5 but am not sure. I have a decent idea of what I need to work on, but I would like to hear your opinions. Input from the pros here is greatly appreciated .

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Stick with Wendler's 5/3/1.

Low starting numbers are essential for this program. Have you been de-loading? I'll be the first to admit I'm impatient and want to make every damn session a ME one or else I'll feel like I'm doing jack **** but I'm starting to realize I need to start listening to people who are more experienced and stronger than me. Wendler stresses de-loading and starting with low numbers for this program to truly be effective.
    Last edited by Keith; 04-27-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Agreed. I took his advice and started using the conservative numbers as a starting point and it's worked out nicely. Like the OP said it's helped me most on squat, but I've also put about 20lbs on my DL in the past 4 months (which isn't bad for me). It's helped my bench the least but then nothing seems to help me with that.

I'd stick with the 5-3-1 a bit longer, though, and see where it takes you.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I enjoy the Texas Method. I had been doing that until January and had to have surgery. After 4 months off, I'm running Starting Strength until I get back to Texas Method.
    \m/METALLICA\m/ R.I.P. Cliff Burton 2/10/62-9/26/86
    Die, by my hand, I creep across the land, killing first born man

Question about your deloading.

After squats I usually do 3x10 of highbar squats, should I still try and hit a rep PR or a weight PR while deloading? Also on bench day for deloading I hit triceps heavy, should I perhaps not do that?

What is the Texas method?
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 04-27-2009 at 02:54 PM.

I've been using a modified Westside template for almost a year now, and my raw lifts have gone up considerably. I think the stigma of it being a "geared only" training style is just wrong.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    After squats I usually do 3x10 of highbar squats, should I still try and hit a rep PR or a weight PR while deloading? Also on bench day for deloading I hit triceps heavy, should I perhaps not do that?
    If you're de-loading, then de-load! Shooting for a rep or weight PR is not de-loading in any way. Neither is hitting any body part "heavy". Bring everything down.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Ok will do, thanks!

Habingus
    Question about your deloading.

Wendler says to deload everything on the deload week. Less volume and less weight. So I'd say just go light and don't try for PR's.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    5/3/1

And just realize, you can't do the 531 for two months. This is a program designed for the long haul. You need to give it at least a year. Do it as it says, deload as prescribed. There is a reason for this.

I know it probably goes against every fiber of your being, but on the deload week ONLY do the main exercise for the day,(at the proper deload weights), then call it a day. Just drop the accessory work even. You WILL NOT get weaker, or smaller, I promise.
    Last edited by HP666; 04-27-2009 at 05:05 PM.

I agree the stigma of Westside only works for multi-ply is unjustified. Look at what Super Training is doing by applying the principles to single-ply lifting. Westside works whether it's raw, single, or multi.

We have 3 raw lifters that are making great progress with it in a short time period. All three were using different training methods before and had plateaued.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Banned
    I think any of the above recommendations should work well, Just pick something and stick with it. If you dedicate yourself and train like you are supposed to there is no way your total CAN'T go up.

Texas Method
    Keep in mind this is a template, not a flat routine. You can customize it as you like.
    \m/METALLICA\m/ R.I.P. Cliff Burton 2/10/62-9/26/86
    Die, by my hand, I creep across the land, killing first born man

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I agree the stigma of Westside only works for multi-ply is unjustified. Look at what Super Training is doing by applying the principles to single-ply lifting. Westside works whether it's raw, single, or multi.

We have 3 raw lifters that are making great progress with it in a short time period. All three were using different training methods before and had plateaued.

It works for a strictly raw lifter but the use of bands and chains are much less necessary.

I'd disagree. I think bands and chains are essential. It's a key part of developing maximal rate of force deployment.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Westside works excellent for the raw lifter

Bands and chains also will speed progression and open up many more options for the lifter

So it's not a matter of essential or non essential, rather just a preference on the number of options.

I'm a huge fan of variety in training and feel that bands and chains really add this factor. When training raw, you just use a little less tension weight.

The morning crew at Westside trains bench raw 3 weeks out of the month. 5 of us have well over 500 raw benches and one is quite close to a 600.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Westside works excellent for the raw lifter

Bands and chains also will speed progression and open up many more options for the lifter
    Yea that

Started lifting Westside probably around August 2008...see the differences? Almost a 100# total increase at a lower weight....Westside WORKS-bands included!

Last total: June 2008 165 Womenís Master class 45-49 RAW /weight: 164
    Squat: 290#
    Bench: 155#
    DL: 315#
    Total: 760# made Master classification for raw lifters

Last total: April 2009 165 Womenís RAW / weight: 154
    Squat: 325#
    Bench: 176#
    DL: 352#
    Total: 854# made Elite classification for raw lifters
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

At the powerlifting gym I will be lifting at I will have access to bands and chains. How could I incorporate them into 5/3/1? For bench my biggest problem is my lockout and for deadlift, lockout as well. For squats I would say the limiting factor is my lower back.

My main lift for bench I was thinking of being floor press and for my main lift for deadlift I was going to do rackpulls. How can I use chains/bands with all this in mind?

If you have the 5/3/1 book, all of those questions are answered in there. He doesn't recommend using bands or chains at all in the program. I would just stick to what he says, dude.

Wannabebig Member
    I prefer Sheiko Training.

I have a couple of questions for the 5/3/1 experts.

Do you think that the frequency on the main lifts is enough?

Do you think that the volume on the main lifts is enough?

Do you think that working with submaximal weights for so long is optimal?

I ran it for 8 cycles taking the standard 10% off of my weights so I have done this routine before. With the questions, I am just curious as to what the experts thoughts are.

Quote Originally Posted by LINK_313 View Post

I ran it for 8 cycles taking the standard 10% off of my weights so I have done this routine before. With the questions, I am just curious as to what the experts thoughts are.
    You ran it for 8 months?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HP666 View Post
    You ran it for 8 months?
    Approximately yes.

you aren't going to get stronger by second guessing the programs that you decide to run. you have to believe in the program and get stronger on your own. just keep at it and good things will happen.

Habingus
    At the powerlifting gym I will be lifting at I will have access to bands and chains. How could I incorporate them into 5/3/1? For bench my biggest problem is my lockout and for deadlift, lockout as well. For squats I would say the limiting factor is my lower back.

My main lift for bench I was thinking of being floor press and for my main lift for deadlift I was going to do rackpulls. How can I use chains/bands with all this in mind?
    Board press with chains or straight weight, or floor press with chains. As far as lockout for deadlift I don't think rack pulls are a good idea, more lat work, DB rows Kroc-style any kind of upper back work.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

I think that you idea of using floor press and rack pulls with the 5/3/1 will probably get you really strong at floor pressing and rack pulling...but not necessarily at benching or deadlifting. That's not to say that your bench and deadlift won't get stronger per se; if you put 55lbs. on your floor press, your bench has probably gone up, too. I just don't know if partial range of motion every week/all the time is a good way to train them for a raw lifter. That coming from a guy who loves partial range of motion movements, haha. I think that with raw lifting, a full range of motion is so important. If you like floor presses and rack pulls, perhaps add them in as a heavy secondary exercise after your main exercise.

That's not to say that straight weight to the chest and deads from the floor is the only way....just trying to point out the importance of training a full range of motion for a raw lifter.