Thread: Blue Collar and the Food Service Industry.

Blue Collar and the Food Service Industry.

Yeah, you look down on them. Hell, you may even spit on the thought of blue collar workers, but god damn they are there!

I'm a bit pissed, I just finished talking with air-craft engineer that has recently been laid off and has taken up commercial cleaning to get by. He is happy enough, but the only thing that's getting him down is the way he is getting treated. Office workers snub him when attempts to politely greet them - before he cleans after them. Managers of the agency remind him of how they can employ someone who does a faster job for less, just to make sure he "knows his place".

"Hi, I'm an air-craft engineer, which toilets would you like me to clean first?" That just don't sound right...

Now, the food service industry. Busy. The world goes to **** and I'm left to feed everyone. Suddenly eating in is a better idea, I don't blame anyone for that. McDonalds will soon be the busiest it has been in over a decade, perfect price pointed meals! I've sold tenfold of what I used to when I started my humble career in food production, and its keeping my fit - thats for sure!

But I digress;

I work anti-social hours, I love the time I get with my family, the pay is amazing (I've paid more in tax this month than I did last year!), but something is niggling at me. I seem to be looked down upon, as soon as I state that I'm a butcher - I get a look of pity, or disdain. I'm referred to as 'scum', just as the air-craft cleaner metioned before. I'm not sure I understand?

I'm positive 90% of you champion the food industry, hell we eat - right? But whats going on with it? I mean, I trained for 5 years to learn my trade - not even perfect it, which has taken a few more! I've studied too, I have an Advanced Diploma of Communications - I also plan on going for a health inspectors ticket - just for a change. I'm also qualified to work offshore, I have my HUET (Helicopter Underwater Escape Training), my TBOSET, Sea Survival, Advanced Fire Fighting and a heap more! So why am I scum?

I'm confused, angry and a little bit twisted. I also love you

Some people are just that way. There's some guys in my office that don't even look at the custodians. I, and many others, make it a point to know their name and give them a pleasant greeting--sometimes a short chat. The guy that cleaned my last building was super nice, and wasn't cleaning for his living. He's retired and does it part time to have something to do. He's very cool, and even went to a bluegrass show withone of my coworkers.

Another custodian, this time in my current office, was also really cool. I noticed he was doing extra work he's not required to do. Once I got to know him, he had a pretty interesting story, etc. It always seems to go that way.

People that think they're above anyone in a service industry are just morons. I'm in an office, but our field guys get the same treatment a lot of times. These guys are making 80-100k a year, and people that make half that will look down their nose because the guy is wearing work clothes and steel-toed boots when he arrives. They have no idea how technically-trained these guys are, and that a large portion of them hold at least a bachelor's degree. To them..outisde work=low class.

I think people just get off on thinking they're better than someone else. Still, I'd say the number of good people is the majority.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    People that think they're above anyone in a service industry are just morons.
    I completely agree, but I would shorten it to say "People that think they're above anyone [] are just morons."

It is like saying, "Hey, your end of the boat is sinking."
    Last edited by shootermcgavin7; 05-06-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Combat Infantryman
    The guy that cleaned the department offices when I worked on campus freshmen year was a medal of honor winner from WW2. I always helped him clean when he came in just to hear his stories.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Yeah Bro some people are just idiots, you should never look down on people in general but some people do, but ive made a notion to treat everyone the same and some people get some since of higher moral being that's extremely false because no one is better than anyone, next time just take out that butchers knief and put it at there throat and say "I said how are you"
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I would be surprised to think anyone believes butcher=scum... if there is one thing my dad taught me it's that if you want to simply make a living and live your life, learn a trade. It can be anything from an electrician, plumber, butcher, you name it. These people are always in need despite the economic status. Of course you may not buy that car you always wanted, but if there is something wrong with your plumbing I don't doubt you would call a plumber.

Banned
    My family had a meat man in Georgia who would make all the cuts, and deliver them to your house. We loved him!

I've never witnessed anyone at any office I've worked at be rude to the cleaning staff. But on occasion I'll see someone say something horrible to a server at a restaurant. Food business is serious business I guess.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7 View Post
    I completely agree, but I would shorten it to say "People that think they're above anyone [] are just morons."

It is like saying, "Hey, your end of the boat is sinking."
    Shooter, I agree with you that people shouldn't think they're above others, but I can't wrap my head around your "boat is sinking" simile. Can you explain it to a dumb person?

I think it should be mandatory for everyone to work in a restaurant for at least 1 year of their life, so people would understand what it is like to deal with people and then everyone would know how to act when going to a restaurant and how to treat people.

Some people are so miserable in their position in life or rank in their job that whenever they can assert their superiority over someone and get on a power trip they do. Example the guy who is a D to the waiter b/c he thinks it makes him look cool to his date or friends - little does he know his food is getting tea bagged in the back.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

I'm always extremely nice to everyone (I'm a weirdo, I rarely get mad) but try to always be pleasant to waiters and waitresses and tip decent. Above all, they have a job, and are working. When I worked in an office, I was always nice to the delivery folks and cleaning personnel. For one, they were usually great folks, and two, just because I was wearing a tie doesn't mean I was making more than they were!
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I only look down on people that look down on other people.

I think the most important thing is to take pride in what you do. When I first graduated school, I was hurt and unable to work in my field, I worked at various retail stores and I took it really seriously. People often asked if I was the owner. Now I'm in software development and I run with a really young crowd. Sometimes my friends will start telling me a work related story from a minimum wage type job and they'll preface it by saying , 'Holt, I know you have a real job but...'. So it works both ways.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post

Some people are so miserable in their position in life or rank in their job that whenever they can assert their superiority over someone and get on a power trip they do. Example the guy who is a D to the waiter b/c he thinks it makes him look cool to his date or friends - little does he know his food is getting tea bagged in the back.
    I think you nailed it, Bill. People who are happy with what they do are generally going to be friendly towards those around them. People who are miserable in their job are probably going to take every opportunity to be petty, and try to bring down those they feel are "lower" than them to feel better about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpstick View Post
    but I can't wrap my head around your "boat is sinking" simile.
    Just a way of pointing out that those who put down others also frequently rely heavily on these very same people.

I think it should be mandatory for everyone to work in a restaurant for at least 1 year of their life, so people would understand what it is like to deal with people and then everyone would know how to act when going to a restaurant and how to treat people.
    Agreed. I've worked both fast food and "real" restaurant for a combined total of 4 years in both front and back. Hell, I've been thinking about picking up a part timer as a line cook just to get back into it.

Again, I agree. It's very common for people to try to knock others down to make themselves feel better about their unhappy situation.

As a side note, at Red Lobster, we used to have baskets of the cheddar biscuits that had fallen on the floor, picked out of the trash, and had otherwise been abused to give to those "special" guests. We get our revenge in the end.

I know a lot of people that use the waiter test to judge the character of potential business partners.

Risk, those people can eat a bag of dicks. In my mind, the only thing more important than a good butcher is a good mechanic.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 05-08-2009 at 10:45 AM.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post

As a side note, at Red Lobster, we used to have baskets of the cheddar biscuits that had fallen on the floor, picked out of the trash, and had otherwise been abused to give to those "special" guests. We get our revenge in the end.
    Those biscuits are SO ****ing delicious.

It's a shame that people get looked down upon for the kind of work they do. A butcher and cleaning service provides a more important service than most white collar workers IMO. I'm a tax guy and I fill out forms and spreadsheets all day, wtf value does that add to society?
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

I would talk to the janitors here, but they don't speak english so it has kind of hard to talk with them.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpstick View Post
    My family had a meat man in Georgia who would make all the cuts, and deliver them to your house. We loved him!
    Reminds me of the Tales From the Crypt episode ""What's Cookin".

Synopsis

A couple's failing restaurant gets a huge boost when a drifter gives them a steak recipe to die for.

Full Recap

Fred and Erma are owners of an all squid cafe. Their landlord confronts them and warns them that he'll have their restaurant evicted if they cannot repay their debt. Gaston, one of their employees, doesn't want to see this couple's business break, nor their marriage. So he talks to Fred about a special steak that he's known for years. They decide to serve it, and suddenly business starts to rise. Gaston reveals to Fred that this particular steak is actually human meat, and the first victim is Mr. Chumley their landlord. Gaston could always call the police about this, seeing as Fred is the one owning the money and Gaston is just a drifer, but he lets Fred decide to keep serving the steak or not. They do. Later on, Gaston decides to trick Fred and Erma. Erma leaves home first, with Gaston following. He tells her that Fred was planning to kill himself with the gun that Erma keeps in her purse. Gaston goes after Fred to kill him with that gun. Fred and Gaston fight, and it looks like Gaston is going to win until Erma walks in. Gaston fires at Erma...but there are no bullets in the gun. She never has bullets in her gun. The police officer/their top customer walks in, craving a little late-night snack. Unfortunately for Gaston, the stove is already sizzling, and there's no more Mr. Chumley this time.

This is a useless quote that means nothing but yet defines me as a profound intellect.

6'1", 220@9%
    Bench 420
    Deadlift 710
    Squat 610

Looking for the best supplements?
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

I'm kind of a prick but I always extend the utmost courtesy to those who are polite and extend it to me. Also, if i'm going to insult someone in food service, I do it after I eat. I find it pretty bizarre that people supposedly mess with other people's food because its sent back.. if there is an acknowledged special prep instruction (e.g., butterfly a steak... medium well instead of medium rare... no mayo..) and it wasn't followed, why does that person deserve to be treated poorly? shrug.

A woman i was talking to recently was telling me a story. She is a cleaning lady (houses) and was cleaning the home of a very rich family. So she is going down the stairs, and the father was going up the stairs. Obviously she said hello how are you today, since she was IN his house. She said he looked at her, and kept walking.

That is the kind of **** that makes my blood boil.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Colander has an article titled "Why Aren't Economists As Important As Garbagemen?" that I think every white-collar worker in this country should read.