Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rippetoes question

Rippetoes question

hey everyone... I just got my license and have started going to the gym. After going three times over the past week (and going off the routine), i just thought back to this site and figured it could only help me coming back here. Anyways, i play soccer, i am 5'9 and weigh 148 pounds. I was wondering how to know how much weight to use when you first start rippetoes. Is there some sort of initial test to determine the weight you should use? and since i play soccer, is it okay to add a leg exercise on day A (maybe calf raises or leg press).. i want to primarily work my legs, but am also a beginner and know that this is the best possible program out there. thanks in advance

you're adding 5lb onto the bar every workout (10lb for deadlift and squat sometimes). So, just start at a weight that is taxing for you but not so much that your form goes to hell. Its probably best to start conservative, especially if you got a few months to play with (cause you'll stall later rather than sooner if you get a chance to wave up and simultaneously increase your conditioning).

Good advice.

You could add a couple of sets of calf raises at the end of one of the days, but don't go crazy.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

thanks guys.... and squatting on A and B days is okay?? seems pretty rough

Yes, it's fine as long as you can continue to make progress that way. You will be able to do it for quite some time as long as you don't bitch out. You'll also get really strong, so I hope you're ready for that.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    thanks guys.... and squatting on A and B days is okay?? seems pretty rough
    Squatting 3 times a week is perfect, especially for someone like you who wants to focus on legs for soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Yes, it's fine as long as you can continue to make progress that way. You will be able to do it for quite some time as long as you don't bitch out. You'll also get really strong, so I hope you're ready for that.
    Definitely.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    The way the book explains it (as I remember it anyway), you determine your working weight the first workout. Do a few sets with the empty bar. Then add weight in 20 lb. increments each set until rep speed slows on the last rep of the set. Do two more sets at that weight and that's your first workout. But, like samadhi said, error on the conservative side.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

ok thanks... and also, does the 3x5 for squat/benching and the 1x5 for deadlift come after the warmup sets? The last time i deadlifted, i had 45 on each side and did that pretty easily for a few sets.. benching/squatting i don't really know where i am at, but to start off (first time) should i just go with the bar, and then add 20 pounds after each time to see where i am at? then the 2nd time i go in i'll have a better idea of where i am at, and can really start training.

i think my workout will be something like this (what do you think of the additions?)

Day A:
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench
    1x5 Deadlift
    3x12 Dips
    3x15 calf raises

Day B:
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Rows
    3x failure chinups (i can't do many yet)
    3x20 russian twists (with 10 pound weight)
    Planks 2x failure

ok thanks... and also, does the 3x5 for squat/benching and the 1x5 for deadlift come after the warmup sets? The last time i deadlifted, i had 45 on each side and did that pretty easily for a few sets.. benching/squatting i don't really know where i am at, but to start off (first time) should i just go with the bar, and then add 20 pounds after each time to see where i am at? then the 2nd time i go in i'll have a better idea of where i am at, and can really start training.

i think my workout will be something like this (what do you think of the additions?)

Day A:
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench
    1x5 Deadlift
    3x12 Dips
    3x15 calf raises

Day B:
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Rows
    Planks 2x failure
    Might want to switch deads to day B and rows to day A. Squat, deads and BB Presses are very taxing on the same day and if you can get like 10 hours of sleep and huge amount of food then you will be overtraining probably. I myself am doing a workout with these three in one day, believe me you will be very tired and will need a lot of rest. Some said to me that you can't do it because it's bad for your lower back. After three weeks I'm still feeling good. But if you start having pains in your lower back then definitely separate those three big exercises to different days

Quote Originally Posted by Gymjunkie View Post
    Might want to switch deads to day B and rows to day A.
    Wrong, the workout is set up that way for a reason, and it works. The first week is A-B-A and the second B-A-B; its always alternating. Dips on Workout A and Chin-ups on Workout B sounds good.
    Currently: Sore

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Wrong, the workout is set up that way for a reason, and it works. The first week is A-B-A and the second B-A-B; its always alternating. Dips on Workout A and Chin-ups on Workout B sounds good.
    I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that lower back does get a huge load. I know because I do 3x10 of all 3 exercises the same day. I just warn what can happen... Read the whole post mate..
    Last edited by Gymjunkie; 05-09-2009 at 10:38 AM.

I fail to see how bench press involves the lower back, in squats the erector spinae is merely a stabilizer. I could see those 3 exercises taxing your lower back if you do them with poor form. And I'm also doing Starting Strength, so far so good.
    Currently: Sore

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    I fail to see how bench press involves the lower back, in squats the erector spinae is merely a stabilizer. I could see those 3 exercises taxing your lower back if you do them with poor form. And I'm also doing Starting Strength, so far so good.
    Jesus Christ... it's not about bench press.. deads and squats give a huge load to your spine. When you stand with a bar on your upper back you think its not hard on the back? Yes it only acts as stabilizer but i still gets a lot of work..

Jesus Christ... it's not about bench press.. deads and squats give a huge load to your spine. When you stand with a bar on your upper back you think its not hard on the back? Yes it only acts as stabilizer but i still gets a lot of work..
    Dont change the movements already prescribed in SS. They are more than enough and are in the order they are in for a good reason. Buy the book and read it before offering suggestions on changing it next time.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Dont change the movements already prescribed in SS. They are more than enough and are in the order they are in for a good reason. Buy the book and read it before offering suggestions on changing it next time.
    Suggestion is just a suggestion. No one tells other what to do. I got advice to stay away from Big 3 lifts on the same day. It's very taxing on CNS and lower back.. I don't say it doesn't work or don't do, just pointed out possibility to make the workouts more even.

Suggestion is just a suggestion. No one tells other what to do. I got advice to stay away from Big 3 lifts on the same day. It's very taxing on CNS and lower back.. I don't say it doesn't work or don't do, just pointed out possibility to make the workouts more even.
    I think Mark Rippetoe would beg to differ. Again, try not to offer advice on something of which you are unfamiliar.

And to get down to it, I think the OH Press is more taxing than bench press, so his routine is even less straining than SS.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-09-2009 at 02:28 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I think Mark Rippetoe would beg to differ. Again, try not to offer advice on something of which you are unfamiliar.

And to get down to it, I think the OH Press is more taxing than bench press, so his routine is even less straining than SS.
    I downloaded his book and will be reading it now. Most interesting thing is why deads are only 1x5... It's second best exercise for me.. I'd do more..

I downloaded his book and will be reading it now. Most interesting thing is why deads are only 1x5... It's second best exercise for me.. I'd do more..
    Good idea. If you understand the entire book you will be well ahead of most of the lifting community insofar as applicable knowledge is concerned.
    Sarvamangalam!

Good idea. If you understand the entire book you will be well ahead of most of the lifting community insofar as applicable knowledge is concerned.
    Cool! Honestly, I want to know a ****load about BBind and create something like stronglifts.com. Not the same as it though...

For that I have to read a lot.. I don't think the guy (Mehdi) is a trainer or anything though.

Then Id also suggest you get Practical Programming as well. Both are my favorite training books (after Tommy Kono's). Good luck man
    Sarvamangalam!

Then Id also suggest you get Practical Programming as well. Both are my favorite training books (after Tommy Kono's). Good luck man
    Thanx!

I've never heard of neither PP nor Tommy Kono.. Gonna check them out for sure..

PP is another by Rip and is equally as informative as SS.

Tommy Kono is one of the most amazing olympic lifters ever. His book is primarily focused on the Olympic movements and covers the topic well. Its called "Weightlifting Olympic Style"
    Sarvamangalam!

PP is another by Rip and is equally as informative as SS.

Tommy Kono is one of the most amazing olympic lifters ever. His book is primarily focused on the Olympic movements and covers the topic well. Its called "Weightlifting Olympic Style"
    I"ll keep these in mind. Still gotta reread everything about basics and anatomy.

Sorry for hi-jacking thread

Day A:
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench
    1x5 Deadlift
    3x12 Dips
    3x15 calf raises

Day B:
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Rows
    Planks 2x failure

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe