The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9

    Total n00b - could use a little help

    Awesome forum you guys have here...been reading all morning. I just turned 34 last month and have let myself really get out of shape. Always been pretty active, but this last couple years just focused too much on work. The final breaking point was when I had to go buy new jeans. From 34 to 36. Pissed me off and freaked me out.

    So, I'm 6' and 216 lbs right now, with a nice spare tire. I want to get back to 185. I used to box a lot, and will be getting back into that. But I've never lifted and I have a pretty big frame, and always wondered how strong I could get with some training.

    Found a great deal on a Powertec leverage system. Set it up yesterday, and realized I have no idea where to start. I've done some searches for beginner training routines, but there's just so much out there it's confusing.

    NOT looking to hurt myself, just find something sustainable. Don't care about getting huge as quickly as possible. That said, can any of you point me to a beginner program that would work? I plan to work up to lifting 3 days a week and boxing 3 days a week.

    Also, many of the plans seem to calculate how much you should lift according to your 1 rep max. I found a site with a script that extrapolates your 1 rep max by pressing a medium weight as many times as you can. Does this really work, or should I load up the machine with as much as I can do just once? I already put all the plates on the bench press (255 lbs) and was able to press it once, but I'm not gonna lie and say it was easy lol.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Controlled mutation Trainwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    262
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a great program if you're just starting out. You mentioned you want to get back down to 185, you'll need to eat below maintenance in order for that to occur. Make sure you're consistent with your diet and training and you'll see results fairly quickly. Welcome to WBB.
    Currently: Sore

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a great program if you're just starting out. You mentioned you want to get back down to 185, you'll need to eat below maintenance in order for that to occur. Make sure you're consistent with your diet and training and you'll see results fairly quickly. Welcome to WBB.
    Thanks, I'll check that out. Already working on the calories thing. Tough part is figuring out my maintenance / baseline daily intake needs. I used the average of 5 different online calculators, which varied considerably. Plan on running a 500-800 cal deficit per day, which should get me where I want to be (drop 30 lbs) in 4 months or so. Do you think that's realistic, or too agressive?
    Last edited by apriorius; 05-10-2009 at 08:38 AM.

  5. #4
    Controlled mutation Trainwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    262
    I think you should just eat and track your intake on FitDay for a couple weeks, its far more accurate than a calculator. Once you figure out what your maintenance is then you can create a deficit, the bigger the deficit the faster the weight loss. 1 pound = 3500 cals so eating 500 calories below maintenance will equal about 1lb/week loss.
    I think your weight loss goal (~2lb/week) is realistic as long as you're consistent.
    Currently: Sore

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Hmm, checked out out the book you recommended and it may be more than I'm looking for. Anything out there a bit simpler, and preferably web based? Since I'm using a leverage system, the form of my exercises is pretty rigidly controlled...not sure if reading 50 pages about the wrong way to do a squat is worth the investment at this point in the game for me.

  7. #6
    Get Some! KoSh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    585
    Posts
    1,928
    What made you decide to purchase a leverage system?

    Did you do research on it first before purchasing, or was this an impulse buy that sounded too good to pass up?
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    395
    I'd return the powertec thing and get a gym membership. At 6" you must have a big frame to be 215 and have a 36 inch waist without ever lifting weights. Do you pants fit so tight that you can barely move?

  9. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    What made you decide to purchase a leverage system?

    Did you do research on it first before purchasing, or was this an impulse buy that sounded too good to pass up?
    A little bit of both. I was looking through craigslist and doing some research on the options. Mentioned that I was looking for a gym to my friend, and he had the powertec system disassembled and in storage. I read up on it and thought it would fit my needs well, and I got it for a steal ($250 in great condition including 255lbs of weights and a tree). Thing's built like a brick s**thouse and I like that it's 1:1 leverage with no spotter needed.

  10. #9
    Get Some! KoSh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    585
    Posts
    1,928
    The problem is exactly as you said earlier, it's allows for a very limited workout.

    I don't care what you're training for, a good workout with a dose of bench presses, squats and deadlifts will help you with anything. It's hard to do all of that with the piece of equipment you have.

    I'd rethink the leverage system, honestly.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

  11. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpstick View Post
    I'd return the powertec thing and get a gym membership. At 6" you must have a big frame to be 215 and have a 36 inch waist without ever lifting weights. Do you pants fit so tight that you can barely move?
    Only if I don't do laundry and have to put on a pair of my old 34" jeans

    Actually the 36" jeans fit fine. That waist measurement also includes a little extra room for my pistol, since I carry either a Kel-Tec or Kahr inside the waist every day (legally of course - I have a permit).

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    The problem is exactly as you said earlier, it's allows for a very limited workout.

    I don't care what you're training for, a good workout with a dose of bench presses, squats and deadlifts will help you with anything. It's hard to do all of that with the piece of equipment you have.

    I'd rethink the leverage system, honestly.
    Thanks for the honest advice...I can see what you mean. Since I already have the system, I think I'll give it a try and see how serious I get into this. I think that given my goals are not to be a monster power lifter, but just gain overall strength, the leverage gym may work for me. I don't want to get too bulky since that would slow me down a lot in the ring. If I do really get into lifting, I cal always sell the powertec system for at least what I paid for it.

  13. #12
    Get Some! KoSh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    585
    Posts
    1,928
    You won't get bulky just by lifting weights. Hell, alot of us WANT to be bulky and we have to fight and earn for every small piece of bulk we get. Lifting weights won't magically turn you into The Incredible Bulk.

    If your diet isn't set up for you to gain weight, you won't.

    And doing bench presses, squats and deadlifts is something that alot of trainees do, not just power lifters.

    Yes, the leverage system may work for you, but you're severely limiting what you can do and limiting the potential that your muscles can reach. You won;t have the well rounded strength that free weights can give you... But good luck, I wish you the best. If you rethink the leverage gym there's tons of people here who can point you in a different direction
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

  14. #13
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    You won't get bulky just by lifting weights. Hell, alot of us WANT to be bulky and we have to fight and earn for every small piece of bulk we get. Lifting weights won't magically turn you into The Incredible Bulk.

    If your diet isn't set up for you to gain weight, you won't.

    And doing bench presses, squats and deadlifts is something that alot of trainees do, not just power lifters.

    Yes, the leverage system may work for you, but you're severely limiting what you can do and limiting the potential that your muscles can reach. You won;t have the well rounded strength that free weights can give you... But good luck, I wish you the best. If you rethink the leverage gym there's tons of people here who can point you in a different direction
    Hmm. Lots to think about there. I don't know much, but can understand that when you lift free weights, there's a lot that goes into stabilizing the lift over and above just getting the weight up. I assume the limitations you're alluding to with the leverage system refers to that?

    I'm not opposed to getting something else if the leverage system turns out to be limiting, but the self spotting is an absolute requirement for me. The reason I don't join a gym is because I'm very busy being self employed and running the business. The gym is located in my warehouse, and as such is convienent and allows me to workout alone in the morning before employees show up. Is there anything which gives the flexibility you're talking about and still allows one to safely work out alone?

  15. #14
    Get Some! KoSh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    585
    Posts
    1,928
    Get a power rack with pins, or as I like to call them "Oh ****" bars. Set them so that if you fail a rep, the pins will catch the weight. For bench, set the pins just above chest level. No, you won't get to go ALL the way down to the chest, but you will be able to get a much greater range of motion than you could with a leverage system.

    And again, truth be told, once you get comfortable you won't need to do that with the majority of your sets. I only use a spotter on really heavy sets. I could train alone and still gain strength without the need for a spotter as well.

    For squats you set them at a level where if you fail you can bail out of the lift.

    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

  16. #15
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a great program if you're just starting out.
    OK, I just read the "rippletoe question" thread and am convinced you steered me in the right direction. Sorry I was trying to be a lazyass...just ordered the book

  17. #16
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Get a power rack with pins, or as I like to call them "Oh ****" bars. Set them so that if you fail a rep, the pins will catch the weight. For bench, set the pins just above chest level. No, you won't get to go ALL the way down to the chest, but you will be able to get a much greater range of motion than you could with a leverage system.

    And again, truth be told, once you get comfortable you won't need to do that with the majority of your sets. I only use a spotter on really heavy sets. I could train alone and still gain strength without the need for a spotter as well.

    For squats you set them at a level where if you fail you can bail out of the lift.

    OK...I'll think that over. Maybe I can make a straight swap with someone on craigslist. Just hope my friend isn't offended I traded out his gym just after I bought it

  18. #17
    Get Some! KoSh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    585
    Posts
    1,928
    Regardless, congratulations to you for listening to advice given instead of being one of several posters who asks for advice around here and then decides that they know more about their own question than anyone else possibly could.

    Major step in the right direction
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

  19. #18
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Heh, the only thing I know for sure in life is that someone out there knows more than I do about most things. Seems stupid not to listen to them.

  20. #19
    Controlled mutation Trainwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    262
    You won't be disappointed with the gains you'll see, in this case in the form of fat loss and strength increase. Like KoSh said, get a power rack and a barbell with a good amount of weight and you'll be set, at least for the time being.
    Good luck.
    Currently: Sore

Similar Threads

  1. Who Can Hit 1000lb Total First?
    By TheLion in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 11:05 AM
  2. Race to a 1300 lb total
    By Invain in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 09:55 AM
  3. Total Sets in a workout for back
    By koal4e in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 01:45 PM
  4. Nasa Pro-powersports ($15,000 Total Cash Money)
    By NASAKYCHAIRMAN in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 02:14 PM
  5. Total Gym 2000
    By KkKk in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 04:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •