Thread: one arm at a time vs two arms at a time floor pressing?

one arm at a time vs two arms at a time floor pressing?

hey, what do you reckon is the difference between floor pressing one DB at a time (with one arm) vs floor pressing two DBs at a time? My goals are mainly strength goals if that makes a difference in your answer.

before you say floor press with a barbell, please note that I'm using DBs to try to bring up a lagging arm/side of chest (left).

if you use one dumbell, i would imagine you would have to use your core more to keep stabalized.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

You might talk to borracho. I know he like to do DB floor presses. Be careful getting them up for the 1st rep.
    Sarvamangalam!

^ ah cool thanks I'll PM him.

Thats another reason why I like one DB. You can get the DB up with both hands easily (if its conceivable that you can one arm press it then its very easy to maneuver it with two arms) and then remove the far side hand and lower down and blast up for your first rep.

otherwise with two you start at the bottom like you do with DB bench

whats the deal with lifts like floor presses, box squats, and deadlifts (resetting each rep). I find the lifts that require you to go to a dead stop to be far superior than other more traditional lifts (like bench, regular squats, or touch and go deadlifts).

Doing static-overcome-by-dynamic work will build a great amount of explosive and absolute strength. Going from relaxed to dynamic work will also build tremendous explosive and absolute strength. Both types of work occur when box squatting.
    From here.
    As far as the floor press goes, its meant to strengthen the midpoint of the bench as well as increase tricep strength. I would assume this is the same concept as rack pulls and their carryover to the deadlift.
    Currently: Sore

Banned
    why not do one arm barbell press. i used to do those back in the day.

I do quite a bit of floor pressing ( mostly BB but I do use DB sometimes I just prefer the feel of the BB ) and in all honesty I dont see the point of trying this exercise one arm at a time. I am all for unilateral work, but you have to keep in mind these are a little harder than a DB press on a bench. I would say try them with both hands first and get a feel for them, then decide to try them with one arm at a time based upon that. With only using one arm you would have to go really light on these.
    Last edited by View 1; 05-08-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Why are you doing floor presses to build your chest?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

because bench ****s with my RC

reducing the range of motion takes the tweak out of the equation for me.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 05-08-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Floor press isn't a chest movement, it's more a tricep movement

If you're looking to bring up a lagging side of your chest, it'd be better to do DB bench rather than floor press, or even flyes, but floor press isn't going to fix that
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 05-08-2009 at 04:48 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

it hits my chest hard bro and is definitely inducing some good hypertrophy (over the last few weeks).

I've always sucked at pressing though. I only DB press 70s for 5 reps now (I blame it on the fact that I've always had this nagging RC issue holding me back).

but yeah I agree it primarily annihilates the triceps (way harder than DB bench). My triceps have definitely been responding to these floor presses (better than DB benching).

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Floor press isn't a chest movement, it's more a tricep movement

If you're looking to bring up a lagging side of your chest, it'd be better to do DB bench rather than floor press, or even flyes, but floor press isn't going to fix that
    This.

wrongggg joey

Wannabebig Member
    its all about a difference in core stability and balance. you can use both but ireally don't see the benefits outweighing anyhting else

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    wrongggg joey
    Right, the guy who benches 500 lbs raw and the guy who can curl what you can db press are wrong. Done here.

ouch. nice.
    i'm gonna have to agree with joey and travis on this one. the range of a floor press is less than that of the bench, and hits your tris more. DB bench would be the best option to bring up the lagging pec.
    Last edited by nockits; 05-08-2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Right, the guy who benches 500 lbs raw and the guy who can curl what you can db press are wrong. Done here.
    Everybody is different bro. For you the floor press might be a limited range of motion, but for me it is nearly full range (well its a couple inches off my chest). It does not take the pectorals out of the picture. In fact it emphasizes them (because of the dead stop you have to blast it off with your pecs).

So slow down and take a breath. Just cause you can bench 500 does not mean you know what you are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    ouch. nice.
    i'm gonna have to agree with joey and travis on this one. the range of a floor press is less than that of the bench, and hits your tris more. DB bench would be the best option to bring up the lagging pec.
    well read my post above. For YOU it might be a limited range of motion, but for me the limit is negligible and not even worth thinking about. Its a chest exercise that also blasts the triceps. Just like bench.

Anyways, the point of the thread is not to suggest to me to do DB bench (I don't even have a bench where I'm living this summer (homeless out of my truck ). So, its a moot point.

Wannabebig Member
    samhadis right, what might work not work for you might work for someone else, everybody is different. one of my pecs also lags, something i do everyonce in awhile just for a different feeling is a one armed db fly, it really forces u to stabilize ur core.

uh.. the very nature of floor presses prevent you from exceeding a 90 degree angle. why is it that 90 degrees is "almost" full ROM for you but not even close for the rest of us? unless you have t-rex arms, one person isn't getting more relative ROM out of floor presses than another. I find it bizarre that you're questioning the advice and travis and joey are offering. i think the first step for you to make progress is to acknowledge that you don't know it all and that there are people here vastly more experienced, effective and proven than you.

on a side note, if you're homeless in your truck, what are you doing? stealing wifi to post here and doing floor presses in the truck bed? sounds like you have bigger problems to address, no offense.
    Last edited by twm; 05-09-2009 at 01:38 PM.

If your trying to bring up a lagging chest, gain some weight. From reading your previous posts, you are pretty skinny. Gain 50lbs and i'm sure you'll even out.

Like I said before, floor presses arent the right exercise to target the chest specifically. You say you have RC issues. Rehab them. You will be better off in the long run. I tore my rotator cuff and labrum last september, spent 3 months doing rehab, and now i'm the strongest ive ever been. Trust me, its worth it

Oh and btw, listen to travis. To say he doesnt know anything about benching would be like saying Barry Bonds doesnt know how to hit a home run.
    Last edited by Detard; 05-09-2009 at 08:02 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

yeah you're right (about the weight gain). I want 30 more pounds before I cut at some point. Then I can maintain at 180ish for the rest of my life and be happy (pretty sure my 5'6" frame is not designed to go much above that, I have skinny wrists, ankles, etc).

problem is that I can't do bench this summer, so floor pressing is my only option for chest exercises. I do floor pressing and push pressing for my pressing, and thats it (thats all I can do).

thanks for the help though, and I was mainly trolling (kidding) when I told joey he was wrong of course he knows more about benching than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    yeah you're right (about the weight gain). I want 30 more pounds before I cut at some point. Then I can maintain at 180ish for the rest of my life and be happy (pretty sure my 5'6" frame is not designed to go much above that, I have skinny wrists, ankles, etc).

problem is that I can't do bench this summer, so floor pressing is my only option for chest exercises. I do floor pressing and push pressing for my pressing, and thats it (thats all I can do).

thanks for the help though, and I was mainly trolling (kidding) when I told joey he was wrong of course he knows more about benching than I do.
    I said I was done, but since I moderate I have to read all these posts. Travis knows more about benching than me. Mine is very weak for my size(low 300's). I commented that I can curl what you can DB press, but since you have RC issues that is understandable. I think we have reached an amicable conclusion tot he discussion though and hopefully you will figure out what you need to do to get past this in your training.
    Last edited by joey54; 05-10-2009 at 11:06 AM.

one more thing, do we agree that a person with a thicker chest and shorter arms, the floor press will be more of a chest exercise for them compared to somebody with longer arms?

Like I said I don't really see much of a limitation to the ROM when I do floor press compared to DB Bench (if I bring the DBs down to chest level and don't go beyond that way deep).