The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

PRed squat after 3 months of not being able to tie my shoes

So heres the short version...

Bout 5 months ago I noticed some pain in my back...this pain got significantly worse gradually up until a month or so ago. I couldnt even bend down to tie my shoes and definitely could not squat. I even spent a couple hundred dollars on physical therapy which did nothing...so I stopped going to that. What did I do? Well I did this stretch amongst others for the last 2-3 months:

http://www.exrx.net/StretchImages/Gl...eatedGlute.jpg

I figured out that my back pain was caused by tight glutes which in turn caused tight hamstring which in turn were pulling on my lower back.

I started back easy doing starting strength at about 205 pounds 2 months ago. I got up to around 260 or so at the end of the month..feeling pretty good. Then this last month I decided to jump to the bill starr 5x5 because starting strength was too much volume at this much weight...

Today I did 280 3 times and it felt like NOTHING. And I am even getting back into deadlifts too..did 315 5 times last wednesday. There is some mild discomfort in my back but definitely not like it was. It is more of a numb feeling than any kind of pain and it is localized to one area. The doctor was sure it was a herniated disc but I didnt feel like spending 800 on an MRI (I havent met my yearly deductible yet).

Man I am so psyched right now...I cant wait to be doing 315 for reps.

One thing though, my bench wont budge...I just cannot get past 240ish for 5 reps....I think after i hit 315 5 times on squat, I will do 30 pounds in 30 days then switch back to 5x5.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pretty sweet dude. It may not be a good idea with a herniated disc but at some point you may want to introduce good mornings into your routine. When done right they really blast your back and i've always gotten a good stretch in the glutes and hammies.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Banned
    Yup...I will definitely get those into my routine...right now I am working up slowly by doing reverse hypers and 90 degree bent over rows...The bent over rows do both my lower back (stability) and my upper back (pulling).

Banned
    Decided I am going to keep updating this til I hit 315 squat 3 times.

Well this friday I am going for 290...

Today I deadlifted 340, 5 times (conventional) and it felt very light. I was pretty pleased. I am, however, afraid to lift any heavy weights without my belt...is this going to affect my overall strength in the long run? I really dont thing its worth it to risk my back. I realize good form is the best insurance...but I like to have even more insurance wearing the belt.

Banned
    Today did 285 x 5 on squat...was actually pretty hard today. I think I am beginning to plateau. Maybe I just need to eat more. But if I do plateau, 30 lbs in 30 days here I come.

Banned
    PR again last night...

290 x 5 on sqauts.
    255 x 5 on deadlifts the previous week.

Going for 265 x 5 deads on thursday and 300 x 3 on saturday. Getting so close to 315...