Thread: Westside visit

Wannabebig Member

Westside visit

I going to Columbus, OH next week and I heard that you can stop in and visit Westside Barbell. I would love to watch a workout and meet some of the guys up there. I'm fairly new to PL and have read a lot of Louie's articles. Does any one have their contact information; I'm in Columbus this Tuesday.

Illinimeats

Banned
    Try Travis Bell.

Mmm, I don't think they would apprecaite some new to lifting tourist stopping by for a social visit.

Get a few years under the belt and some respectable lifts to boot.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Mmm, I don't think they would apprecaite some new to lifting tourist stopping by for a social visit.

Get a few years under the belt and some respectable lifts to boot.
    Don't be too quick to judge, Fuzzy. He might not post a lot but if I recall Meats has been around and lifting for a while, and has competed in powerlifting meets before, so he's not exactly a newb.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Lexen Xtreme
    Like Reko says, try Travis Bell if he doesn't find this thread. He'll let you know whether or not they're open to having someone watch them train. I know they often let people in to train in the gym, but not sure about spectating their main groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinimeats View Post
    I going to Columbus, OH next week and I heard that you can stop in and visit Westside Barbell. I would love to watch a workout and meet some of the guys up there. I'm fairly new to PL and have read a lot of Louie's articles. Does any one have their contact information; I'm in Columbus this Tuesday.

Illinimeats
    If you go, you'd better train. Why go the most renown pl gym in the world and not train. It's funny, we all started somewhere. I have guys/kids telling me they don't bench enough to come train with our crew. That's nonsense. If that were the case, how did Rhodes get in?

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Don't be too quick to judge, Fuzzy. He might not post a lot but if I recall Meats has been around and lifting for a while, and has competed in powerlifting meets before, so he's not exactly a newb.
    My apologies, I read 'Im new to powerlifting' and made an assumption.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Wannabebig Member
    Fuzzy - no problem. I say I'm fairly new to lifting as I have concentrated on powerlifting for the last couple years, but have lifted off and on for several years. I have competed in one contest and was going to compete this weekend before an injury sidelined me. I don't have any big numbers, but those things will come with time and hard work. I heard through some folks that have trained there that Louie was open to visits and was a hell of a nice guy.

Illinimeats

Wannabebig Member
    Vdizenzo - you're so right, we all started somewhere. And you are correct about lifting with guys with big numbers; I didn't think I was worthy until I had big numbers. In fact, as soon as my elbow heals I am going to start working out with JT, so I can get the big numbers. I always thought you need a 300+ bench, and a 400+ squat and DL to compete. But now I realize that PL is more about the battle within than your placing at the end of the meet; I learned that from JT. I just thought that since I was in town on business I would sneak off to meet those guys and visit the Meca of powerlifting.

Illinimeats

Shoot me a PM. Don't just drop by though. You need to set up an appointment. We are a private club that is not open to the public, however, when people talk to Louie and get things set up it is usually not a problem

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Travis, I pmed you. Talk to you soon.

Illinimeats

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    if that were the case, how did rhodes get in?
    aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    ...how did Rhodes get in?
    You and TT needed someone to hold the boards.
    Roll Tide.

I agree that you should train there. I went to Louie's seminar at super training. He worked with people of all ability levels there. He's an amazing coach. Don't miss out on an opportunity to learn from someone like that.

I also agree that we all started somewhere. Most people in this sport are helpful to beginners. We were all new once and someone helped us.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I can say that training there is a tremendous motivator and experience. If you are lucky enough to get an invite you had better go and train.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I can say that training there is a tremendous motivator and experience. If you are lucky enough to get an invite you had better go and train.
    agreed, Ive never been to the new Westside (only the Old small one in the strip mall before it got moved) I would LOOOOOVE to go to Columbus (even though I hate Ohio State) and see/train at the new one

If you get out there be sure to lift, I'm sure you'll learn a ton. I've always wanted to get out to Westside, train there and learn from some of the best lifters and the greatest PL coach.

it would be an honor to lift with Louie. I wish you the best of luck meats. im sure you will have a blast.
    750/425/625/1800 at SPF Georgia State meet on 8/07/10
    Started Powerlifting: September 08
    Phillipians 4:13
    Pslams 23:4