Thread: can i do to much cardio?

Wannabebig Member

can i do to much cardio?

im new to workin out so i just signed up at the golds by my house on wed. and i have about 1-2 more weeks till i can lift weights again.(doctors orders) i have been doing about 30-45 minutes of cardio since wednesday. 5 min stationary bike (the one with the back rest, i dunno if that makes a difference) 5 min stair steps (i think the machine is called AMT), 10 straight incline crunches, then 10 left and right side incline crunches 10 straight incline crunches again and back to the bike for 10 min. for a cool down. is this to much or do i need to do more? and if i do need to do more what do you reccomend i do? im tryin to lose weight and build a little muscle, not bulk up like the incredible hulk. like i said im new to workin out so i honestly dont know jack about this. any information would help. and if you have any questions for me please ask

It seems like your goal is to lose as much fat as possible, and put on some muscle.

Can you give us an idea of your current height/weight/fat % right now (or just ballpark -- i.e. "I'm really obese" or "I'm a little chubby")?

As long as you are doing something reasonable training-wise, then 80% (I just make up statistics) of your progress will come through diet.

Could you also indicate your will power (i.e. "I could literally not eat for a week if it meant great progress" vs. "I'll try to fix a few things but I'm not changing my life") and how often you are able to train and for how long?

And why did the doctor order you not to workout? Do you have some kind of heart condition or anything? Any asthma or heart problems?

Answer these for me and I'll help you come up with a plan.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-08-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Like KingJustin said, you need to provide us with a bit more info in order to get the best response possible.
    If your goal is to lose weight then you should focus on adjusting your diet so that you're eating below maintenance, getting your protein and making clean food choices. You have to be consistent otherwise results will not be optimal.
    You could try doing cardio 3-5 times a week on days that you don't lift (or at least 8 hours away from the lifting session). Maybe do a 5-10 minute warm-up on medium intensity, 15 minutes at a higher intensity level and a warm-down of 5-10 minutes. Don't burn yourself out doing cardio for hours everyday, you burn more fat after doing cardio than you do while actually doing it.
    Currently: Sore

Wannabebig Member
    ok thanks, im 20 5'8 and 154 lbs im not "fat" but i could definitely be in better shape. im not suppost to lift cause i was in a car accident. i am willing to work my ass off to get the body i want. i have also been considering doing some swimming while i am there too since i swam for like 10 years. after high school (2 years ago) i pretty much quit all exercise. also when i am able to start lifting again would the wwb1 routine be the best route to go even though i dont want big bulk?

Try Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
    Currently: Sore

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dom7226 View Post
    ok thanks, im 20 5'8 and 154 lbs im not "fat" but i could definitely be in better shape. im not suppost to lift cause i was in a car accident. i am willing to work my ass off to get the body i want. i have also been considering doing some swimming while i am there too since i swam for like 10 years. after high school (2 years ago) i pretty much quit all exercise. also when i am able to start lifting again would the wwb1 routine be the best route to go even though i dont want big bulk?
    No routine is going to make you suddenly huge. Unless you have freak genetics, it's a common misconception held by a lot of people that taking in protein shakes and working hard for a couple years is going to make you giant. It takes a long time and a crazy amount of discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Try Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
    I agree with this.

Over the next 2 weeks, make sure to eat enough so that you don't lose weight. Keep protein intake high all the time.

You can keep going to the gym and doing cardio. Over the next couple weeks, work out up to 5x/w doing cardio. You can do long-slow distance on the track (preferred), treadmill, pool, bike, or stairmaster. Do that about 50% of the time. I don't know how long you can go for, but just stick to the same thing. i.e. there's no point in going to the pool and swimming long distance for 30 minutes and then running for 30 minutes and then biking for 30 minutes (not really, anyway). Just spend 25 minutes to an hour on long-slow cardio.
    The remaining 50% of the time, do "hard-run-but-not-quite-sprint-because-you-don't-want-to-get-injured" repeats. i.e. run the straights on the track and walk the curves. Start with a mile total (ish) and work up a little. Maybe add in some hill work.

If you can do push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups/standing squats, then I would do those, too. Do them in a circuit and try to tire yourself out. For example, do 1 pull-up, 3 push-ups, 5 squats, and 7 sit-ups as many times as you can in ten minutes. Then try to beat it next time.

im new to workin out so i just signed up at the golds by my house on wed. and i have about 1-2 more weeks till i can lift weights again.(doctors orders) i have been doing about 30-45 minutes of cardio since wednesday. 5 min stationary bike (the one with the back rest, i dunno if that makes a difference) 5 min stair steps (i think the machine is called AMT), 10 straight incline crunches, then 10 left and right side incline crunches 10 straight incline crunches again and back to the bike for 10 min. for a cool down. is this to much or do i need to do more? and if i do need to do more what do you reccomend i do? im tryin to lose weight and build a little muscle, not bulk up like the incredible hulk. like i said im new to workin out so i honestly dont know jack about this. any information would help. and if you have any questions for me please ask
    Listen to your doctor.
    Too much cardio won't be the best for muscle gains, but what you're doing is fine.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

getting in better shape doesn't mean losing weight... in order for you to gain muscle you need to gain weight/eat a lot.. listen to the guys on here they really know what they're talking about. Rippetoes might not look too appealing at first, but it is proven by bodybuilders to give the quickest results for beginners and it is a great routine to build around. good luck