Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Chart for Bench, Squat, and Deadlift?

  1. #1
    Senior Member tmor6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    179

    Chart for Bench, Squat, and Deadlift?

    I'm looking for a chart that links bench press, squat, and dealift correlations. In other words does anyone have a suggested lift amount? For instance, if someone bench's 315 pounds then a given chart would reflect how much they should be able to squat and deadlift.

    I know that these lifts could be (in theory) independent of eachother, but I would imagine that some type of correlation does exist. Basically, I want to see if my bench and squat match what I should be deadlifting.

    Thanks for any info/links
    Last edited by tmor6; 05-13-2009 at 07:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member MNRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    164
    This is kind of what you may be looking for.

    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html


    Not a direct correlation to say "You squat X so you should bench Y".
    ...she looked so much cuter with something in her mouth...

    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2140245

  3. #3
    Senior Member tmor6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    179
    ^Thanks, that's pretty close to what I was looking for. Much appreciated

  4. #4
    student of the game Runty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,152
    That's a pretty nice chart. Been going pretty steady myself for just over a year and it puts me as intermediate on most. Hurray linear progression!
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

  5. #5
    Strongman Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by tmor6 View Post
    I'm looking for a chart that links bench press, squat, and dealift correlations. In other words does anyone have a suggested lift amount? For instance, if someone bench's 315 pounds then a given chart would reflect how much they should be able to squat and deadlift.

    I know that these lifts could be (in theory) independent of eachother, but I would imagine that some type of correlation does exist. Basically, I want to see if my bench and squat match what I should be deadlifting.

    Thanks for any info/links
    The chart that was posted above does give some good target numbers.

    Ratio between your lifts will have a lot to do with height, overall bodyweight, leverages, etc.

    Generally it is considered very good when you can raw bench press double bodyweight or deadlift/squat tripple bodyweight. For a heavier individual (250+ lbs) this may take longer to achieve due to absolute strength having to be at such a high level. Someone who is taller will generally be better as the deadlift, while someone with shorter levers is generally a better presser.

    Your squat and deadlift should be relatively close to each other in terms of 1RM. If you are looking for balance then your bench should be nowhere near squat/deadlift - but in someone who is just getting started generally that is not the case since people like to train upper body and it can take some time for the other lifts to come around.

    For a Beginner I would just focus on good form and learning the lifts.

    For an intermediate trainee I would set the following goals:
    Bench Press - Bodyweight
    Squat - 1.5X to 2X Bodyweight
    Deadlift - 1.5X Bodyweight

    Advanced / Elite Goals (after training for 1-3 years):
    Bench Press - 2X Bodyweight
    Squat - 2.5X to 3X Bodyweight
    Deadlift - 3X Bodyweight
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  6. #6
    Get Some! KoSh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    585
    Posts
    1,928
    Interesting enough, I'm shocked to see that I'm at or near "Advanced" in all of those lifts. Nice
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

  7. #7
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,170
    Just keep adding weight to the bar until you can't lift it anymore. Then you'll know how much you should be lifting.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  8. #8
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    That’s a very flattering chart. I hit the advanced in all categories for the 165 class.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  9. #9
    The Flyfisher rbtrout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    2,154
    Great post, Tom!
    Give chalk a chance.


    49 years old

    665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    For an intermediate trainee I would set the following goals:
    Bench Press - Bodyweight
    Squat - 1.5X to 2X Bodyweight
    Deadlift - 1.5X Bodyweight

    Advanced / Elite Goals (after training for 1-3 years):
    Bench Press - 2X Bodyweight
    Squat - 2.5X to 3X Bodyweight
    Deadlift - 3X Bodyweight
    Crap, so I have to deadlift 1000 pounds to be considered advanced. That's going to take me way more than 1-3 years, if ever. IMHO, anybody who squats and deads 600+ is pretty advanced.

    I think the table that MNRob posted is too generous, but it isn't linear in body weight, which makes it more realistic for tall people.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 05-14-2009 at 12:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member tmor6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    The chart that was posted above does give some good target numbers.

    Ratio between your lifts will have a lot to do with height, overall bodyweight, leverages, etc.

    Generally it is considered very good when you can raw bench press double bodyweight or deadlift/squat tripple bodyweight. For a heavier individual (250+ lbs) this may take longer to achieve due to absolute strength having to be at such a high level. Someone who is taller will generally be better as the deadlift, while someone with shorter levers is generally a better presser.

    Your squat and deadlift should be relatively close to each other in terms of 1RM. If you are looking for balance then your bench should be nowhere near squat/deadlift - but in someone who is just getting started generally that is not the case since people like to train upper body and it can take some time for the other lifts to come around.

    For a Beginner I would just focus on good form and learning the lifts.

    For an intermediate trainee I would set the following goals:
    Bench Press - Bodyweight
    Squat - 1.5X to 2X Bodyweight
    Deadlift - 1.5X Bodyweight

    Advanced / Elite Goals (after training for 1-3 years):
    Bench Press - 2X Bodyweight
    Squat - 2.5X to 3X Bodyweight
    Deadlift - 3X Bodyweight
    Thanks - I'm pretty much right between intermediate and advanced which seems to be a pretty big gap. I can bench more than my weight, but definitly not double and squats are right around 2.2x my weight. Deadlifts are no where near due to a past hernia repair (which I'll be starting a new thread on because it's a completely different topic and I need some help). Thanks!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    673
    that chart looks pretty nice, but why is the squat lower than the bench press for the un-trained? is it due to the fact that squatting is a completely new movement to untrained people? that just jumped out at me

Similar Threads

  1. The Squat
    By ZenMonkey in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
  2. Westside 'Til You Die!
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 06:49 AM
  3. The Squat
    By Reinier in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 03:15 PM
  4. Deadlift Article
    By -supernatural- in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-21-2002, 11:37 AM
  5. The Deadlift
    By Reinier in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2002, 04:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •