The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Only thing that seems to be growing is my belly!

Trying to bulk up right now and its just not going well at all. The only thing that's getting bigger is my belly and my thighs. My thighs/quads continue to grow and get stronger and everything else has platued completely and has been for a long time now. I was listening to dorian yates interview the other day where he talks about the 12-18month period where pretty much anything works and after that period most people never get any bigger, even when they train for years after and think thats where I'm at. Like i said my quads continue to grow, so i must getting enough nutrition, with TOO MANY calories coming in right now because I'm getting fatter.... So obviously its my workouts that are at fault? I just cant seem to get any stronger on my lifts and therefore no size increases are happening.

Heres what I have been doing....

Workout A
    Dumbell bench
    Military standing
    Chins
    Db rows
    seated dip machine

Workout B
    Biceps
    forearms
    traps/neck
    squats

sets are usually 3 in the 4-8 rep range, i use tempo of 1 up 3 down.

2 on 1 off x 3 then 2 days off.

Have been eating about 5k calories a day 300g protein, obviously thats too much though, with the rate at which ive been gaining fat, so I will bring that down to 4000 or so. I get a nice pump/swolen feeling and look with clothes fitting differently for about 48 hours (providing i eat plenty) then I jus seem to return to how i was prior to the workout lol....

Really need some help, getting so frustrated and loseing motivation because I dont seem to be getting anywhere despite putting lots of effort in.... In fact im looking worse with the recent fat gains! I'm not at all a believer in throwing more volume at the problem, I guess Its time to start useing intensity enhancing techniques like rest pausing and stuff? Its difficult though when you train alone, for instance how could I rest pause dumbells when you have to kick them up after each pause... Should I switch over to the smith machine or something? Maybe I should try a different frequency full body 3x a week or something? Ahhh i dunno, help!!?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Holy **** 5000 calories?

I bulked from 150-195.. I started at 2800 calories a day on the bulk.. and right now im eating 3400..

Wannabebig Member
    and your missing deadlifts.. you should add that in and take out your trap neck exercise.. deadlifts work your traps well
    Last edited by Pav; 05-11-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Holy **** 5000 calories?

I bulked from 150-195.. I started at 2800 calories a day on the bulk.. and right now im eating 3400..
    Well I do have naturally fast metabolism so I thought maybe I needed that much, but I am living a very sedentary lifestyle right now though, so 5000 was overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    and your missing deadlifts.. you should add that in and take out your trap neck exercise.. deadlifts work your traps well
    Yup, I need to start deadlifting for sure, I couldnt figure out how to fit it into my split though, unless I did squats and deads on same day ~puke.
    Last edited by e55ex_b0y; 05-11-2009 at 12:18 PM.

I can tell just by looking at your workout that you are a guy that only really cares about upperbody, and you are only doing squats because you've read about the importance of doing "legs", so you just chucked them in there. I'm not trying to be a d***, but I'm just pointing out that if that is your thinking, then you need to change it. Squats and deadlifts should be 1st priorty. Rows, chin-ups, overhead presses, and bench presses are very important as well, but squats and deads still should be placed first in order of importance.

Why don't you do a workout split like:

Workout A

Squats
    Overhead press
    Rows
    chin-ups

Workout B
    Deadlift
    Bench press
    Power cleans
    curls
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    Workout B would kill me.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    I can tell just by looking at your workout that you are a guy that only really cares about upperbody, and you are only doing squats because you've read about the importance of doing "legs", so you just chucked them in there. I'm not trying to be a d***, but I'm just pointing out that if that is your thinking, then you need to change it. Squats and deadlifts should be 1st priorty. Rows, chin-ups, overhead presses, and bench presses are very important as well, but squats and deads still should be placed first in order of importance.

Workout A

Squats
    Overhead press
    Rows
    chin-ups

Workout B
    Deadlift
    Bench press
    Power cleans
    curls
    yup you have read me pretty well, My priority has been developing my upper body. Its not that I don't want leg size to - theres plenty of guys in my gym who have big upper bodys and chicken legs and I think that looks ******ed. Its just my legs grow so easily ( well not easily I go all out squating ATG) they just respond so quick, while the rest of me seems to refuse to grow and I look out of proportion. I am especially concerned with building a nice back right now, But I can't seem to add weight to my chins/pullups to illicit any further growth, and get some width. Although thinking about it, the fat I've been putting on and then trying to add iron aswell is probably too much of an increase lol?.... I know I need to start deadlifting again, thats actually one of my favourite lifts, and does wonders for my traps, just deadlifting hard 2x a week and squating hard 2x a week seems to burn me out real fast, so couldnt run it with the split I was using.

That split looks nice, although isnt power cleans more of a powerlifting move? How would you incorperate that into a week M-a, W-b, F-a....M-b?

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    rippetoe wouldn't like it but **** it you can do rows instead of p-cleans
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Quote Originally Posted by e55ex_b0y View Post
    yup you have read me pretty well, My priority has been developing my upper body. Its not that I don't want leg size to - theres plenty of guys in my gym who have big upper bodys and chicken legs and I think that looks ******ed. Its just my legs grow so easily ( well not easily I go all out squating ATG) they just respond so quick, while the rest of me seems to refuse to grow and I look out of proportion. I am especially concerned with building a nice back right now, But I can't seem to add weight to my chins/pullups to illicit any further growth, and get some width. Although thinking about it, the fat I've been putting on and then trying to add iron aswell is probably too much of an increase lol?.... I know I need to start deadlifting again, thats actually one of my favourite lifts, and does wonders for my traps, just deadlifting hard 2x a week and squating hard 2x a week seems to burn me out real fast, so couldnt run it with the split I was using.

That split looks nice, although isnt power cleans more of a powerlifting move? How would you incorperate that into a week M-a, W-b, F-a....M-b?
    Yes, exactly. But there's better ideas for AB splits, I was just giving an example.

The point wasn't to work your legs more because they are more important as far as looks go...no way. The point was that for overall development of the ENTIRE BODY squats and deads should be top priority. Yes, they may be considered "leg" exercises, but in reality they are "full body exercises". You want the big, jacked look? Make squats and deads top priority. That's what I was trying to say. It sounds kind of counter-intuitive to say "squat more" if you're only worried about upper body, but that is really the way to get some major upper body growth.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

What are your stats now? Height/weight and then lifts (bench, squat, etc)?
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post

Workout A

Squats
    Overhead press
    Rows
    chin-ups

Workout B
    Deadlift
    Bench press
    Power cleans
    curls

This is absolutely right, great post. Why would anyone who wants to bulk do squats on day 2, and why would they be the last exercise you do?
    essex boy, you can put on more lean mass by way of squats and deadlifts than all of those exercises combined. If you want to bulk with that many calories you MUST squat, and they must be the most important part of your workout, or all you will do is put fat on your belly and legs.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat