Thread: Feedback on Deadlift Form (vids)

Feedback on Deadlift Form (vids)

Did heavy (for me) singles today at 373lbs and took vids. I think I need a lot of work on my DL form. The third vid is back far enough that you can see my entire body. Took me a couple of times to get the camera distance right. The first vid is interesting, though, because of how much my legs shake. Can't really feel them do that so didn't know they did until watching the video.

Thanks for your help.

Video

Video

Video

You're pushing your knees forward and resting the bar a bit on your thighs near the top of the lift. DON'T DO THAT! Wouldn't pass in a meet.

Also, your back bends like a BOW the second you start the lift!! Drive from the start with your legs.

So lower the weight and work on keeping that back tight. Do some GM's and Romanian deadlifts. For the knees thing.. well, just don't do that, push your hips forward (not your knees) once you're passed your knees.

Try and keep your ass down and your chest up. Pull backwards against your body and push through your heels. You can see that youre pushing through the front of your feet.

As CN mentions also, try and get that initial squeeze and drive off the floor with your legs. You are performing more of an SLDL.

These are just a few things that jump out initially.

Keep working on it man! GL!
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks, guys. I have a lot to work on. This was the first time seeing myself deadlift and it sure looks different than it feels. For instance, it feels like my hips are down more and that my back is tight. I was a bit shocked at how bowed my back is and like you say how my hips aren't down.

I'll have to work on resting the bar on my thighs thing. So, should my knees lock first while "humping the bar" to lock the hips afterwards? I think my hammies are real weak which is making it difficult to lock the knees and lock out - does that sound right?

5/22/2009

Adjustments: Bent more at the knees so I could drive with the legs more. Focused on driving with the heels. Focused on keeping back arched (not bowed).

Adjustments for next week: Need to go lighter on the weight as my back was still bowing just a little bit with this weight. Probably don't need to go down much - maybe 30lbs to see how that goes.

Hips seemed to drive up first before the weight came off the ground. This would then cause me to bend over too far and make my back bow. Need to research how to correct that.

133lbs

Video

223 lbs

Video

293 lbs

Video

338 lbs Set 1

Video

338 lbs Set 2

Video

Keep your back straight!

Also, your hips rise too fast, as you can see in the picture as well.

That's what I was seeing too - my hips shooting up before the bar even comes off the ground and then my back bowing. It's wierd because it feels so different when in the middle of the lift. I'm glad I'm taking these vids to see what I'm doing. I'm just going to have to suck it up and take quite a bit off the bar and practice, practice, practice my form. I'm thinking of going back to a 3x5 on my deadlifts so I can get more reps, better motor memory, and sensory perception so when I start increasing the weight again I'll be able to feel myself when my form is bad vs. right now where I can't feel the bad form.

Thanks for the help.

Another week, another round of deads.

Dropped to 313lbs this week. Really focused on keeping the back arched and not bowed. Also working on not letting the hips rise first before lifting the weight. I think it is looking better.

313lbs Set 1

Video

313lbs Set 2

Video

313lbs Set 3

Video

Yea man, Id drop the weight and nail the form. Youll be stronger for it and healthier for it!
    Sarvamangalam!