The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How would you handle this one?

While in the weightroom this morning I had one of the youngers kids come up and tell me this. "So and so said I was deadlifting too much during my workouts." It was a upper classman that told the younger kid this.First thing I did was ask this younger kid if the deadlifts bother him,he told me they never have.This younger kid has been lifting about 6 months now,and does a very good job.
    So we have the classic case of a younger kid looking up to a older kid,and thinking what he says in more important than what a coach/coaching staff wants him to do.
    I contacted the varsity football coach after this happened and he was not happy.
    How would you guys handle this?
    I really like this older kid and don't want to come down on him in the fear of losing him in the weightroom.
    Thoughts?

Ryan Hale

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Tell the upper classman to stop being jealous that a younger kid can deadlift more than him! Chalk up and pull!!
    26 - 6'0"@183lbs http://www.youtube.com/user/Droll6683
    Squat - 295lbs
    Bench - 240lbs
    Deadlift - 430lbs
    Total: 965lbs

"If you lift Mickey Mouse poundageís, all youíre going to get is a Mickey Mouse body." -Stuart McRobert
    "I know the true strength of a man is not in how much he can lift but how high he can lift others." -Dave Tate
    SFW!

I'm assuming the varsity FB coach was not happy for the same reasons you were? (in other words, he wasn't mad at your for bringing it up or something right?)

I would be interested in finding out why this older kid was telling him this, there could be a semi-legitimate reason; more than likely he was just trying to help. Maybe he thought his form wasn't good enough to be deadlifting that much, or perhaps he was just giving him a hard time and the younger guy misunderstood him ("Look at all that weight little dude! Thats too much for you!" <-- something like that). He could also still be carrying around the myth that young kids shouldn't be lifting weights or something, or --hell, maybe he was just jealous that he didn't lift that much weight at his age!

I would at least ask him about it and find out what was going on before doing anything drastic.

Plus, while you will know this better than we do, there's always the possibility that he's just a dick XD
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

I don't think I'm saying anything that hasn't been said, but here's my $.02.

I would at least have a conversation with the upperclassman, maybe talk about your program rationale a little, and ask (in a non-confrontation way) why he said what he said to the underclassman. Undermining trust in the program is not a good thing and maybe you could mention to the upperclassman that you wish they would have come to you first...

In the end, I think you need to be able to justify (to yourself, not the senior) why what you're doing with the underclassman is the most appropriate thing for him/her. If you can do that, then great. If not, maybe the senior has a point.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I would ask the upper classman what happened. Get the full side of the story. I agree with several points hazerboy made. Could have been a misunderstanding, or it could have been a legitimate concern on the part of the upper classman. I would get his side first in order to full assess the situation. Hope it works out ok!

And if you lose him in the weightroom because you disciplined him, how much of an asset is he really to begin with? I am a coach myself, and I come down on a kid and he takes it too hard or personally, then I tell him he has some toughening up to do!

Yeah, the best bet is to find out why the upper classman said what he did, then you'll be better informed and be able to make a decision on what to do.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench