The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Powerlifting Competition Advice

New to powerlifting, and I would love to compete. I am 6'2", and weigh 215. I played college baseball (graduated in 08), and still look like a little lean (I was a pitcher) and am working on putting on some weight. My current maxes are:

Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 385
    Bench: 300

What do these numbers need to be in order to be competitive at an amatuer level? I'm not necessarily looking to come in 1st (yet!), but would like to go and at least make a good showing.

I googled around and couldn't find a good source of info. Thanks in advance for the help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i know this isn't what you wanna hear but, JUST DO A MEET and find out. At most of the amateur meets there is maybe 2 or 3 guys per weight class so it really doesn't matter. Just go there for yourself.

You would do ok. You can check the ADFPF website and the 100% RAW website for some state/national records for comparison (ADFPF and 100% RAW are two different federations).

You could certainly improve your numbers a bit where you're at now, though I would suggest putting on some serious weight! At 6'2, 215, you're at a severe disadvantage to all of those who are 5'10 or 5'8, 215 lbs, and carry a lot more muscle and a shorter range of motion. Even at 5'10, 198 lbs, I feel like I should move up another weight class to be *really* competitive (though I do allright where I'm at XD).

But don't worry too much about how competitive you'll be in your first meet. Most likely all of your maxes will be a bit lower because judging is stricter, and you'll probably make some newbie mistakes like we all do. Your first meet should be about getting some experience, making your lifts, and getting a feel for powerlifting. As long as your a good sport about it, you'll make an ok showing. Powerlifting is very different in this respect--its really "by lifters, for lifters" so there are way fewer *******s.

Thinking back, I wanted to come home with the gold for my first meet, though this was sort of a stupid expectation-- I never expected the same for my first HS wrestling tournament! XD
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post

Even at 5'10, 198 lbs, I feel like I should move up another weight class to be *really* competitive (though I do allright where I'm at XD).
    You should move up at least 2!

OP, the best thing to do is just to do it. The whole meet is a learning experience. Learning the flow of them, the judging, the rules, what its like to do 9 max lifts in a day, etc. Heck I've done 2 big meets and 2 small meets and I still learn a ton each time I go.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    New to powerlifting, and I would love to compete. I am 6'2", and weigh 215. I played college baseball (graduated in 08), and still look like a little lean (I was a pitcher) and am working on putting on some weight. My current maxes are:

What do these numbers need to be in order to be competitive at an amatuer level? I'm not necessarily looking to come in 1st (yet!), but would like to go and at least make a good showing.

I googled around and couldn't find a good source of info. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Just go lift and enjoy the experience. I suggest light openers and bring a cooler full of snacks, fruit, protein bars,etc.

Sept 26 NASA TN REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP:
    http://www.nasa-sports.com/Entry%20F...TN%20State.htm

Location: Pickwick Landing State Park Inn & Conference Center, Pickwick Dam, (Selmer) TN (Map Quest for easy directions)

Pickwick State Lodge phone is (731) 689-3135 This hotel has 100% sell out on the weekends. Book at least 3 weeks early.

Hotel Info: Special NASA Room Rates - (731) 689-3135, Web Site - www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/pickwick

Room Block will be released early, so please book your rooms early. This Hotel ALWAYS sells out, every weekend!!! No exceptions!

Meet Director: Rich Peters, P.O. Box 735, Noble, OK. 405-527-8513 sqbpdl@aol.com

Official Weigh-In Times

Early Weigh-In: 7:00-8:00pm, Friday (All Women and All Men)

Regular Weigh-In: 8:00- 9:00 am, Saturday (All Women and All Men)

Lifting will begin at 10:00 am Saturday
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

Thanks everyone for the advice, and thanks NASAKY for the meet info!

As long as you have the guts to get on the platform and give every lift your best. Then you more than deserve to be on the platform and compete.

I wouldnt worry about gaining weight right now. worry about your technique and proper training. the weight will get on, be patient.

have fun, hit prs. the more prs you hit, the bigger the numbers you put up.

Don't wait until your numbers are "competitive" - do a competition as soon as you can. I think you'll love it and wonder why you didn't do one sooner.

"Competitive" numbers depend completely on the meet. I've never been to a meet where everyone (even the weakest) wasn't treated with respect. Everyone there has the same purpose.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Don't wait until your numbers are "competitive" - do a competition as soon as you can. I think you'll love it and wonder why you didn't do one sooner.

"Competitive" numbers depend completely on the meet. I've never been to a meet where everyone (even the weakest) wasn't treated with respect. Everyone there has the same purpose.
    Exactly. You may be the best there, you may be the worst there. It just depends on who enters the meet.

I'm your height and 308 pounds, and still have bodyparts that look "skinny" haha. Eat. You'll get even stronger.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Just find a local meet and do it. Make sure you know the rules of the federation and go to the rules meeting, but definitely do a meet. I was apprehensive at first, but it was one of the best decisions I've made. Have fun.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

You guys are getting me pumped... I'll go watch one to see how it goes, then I am definitely in!

going to watch is silly, if you're gonna be there, JUST LIFT IN IT! COME ON!

I agree with get out there and compete. It's the best thing for focusing your training and helping you set goals.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

tnathletics2b...your in Nashville right? SPF Nationals is in Nashville May 23 weekend...there will be plenty of good lifting there. Its at the Hotel Preston, right off 40 and briley pkwy....If you just wanted to watch one, you should check that out. We are competing June 20 in cookeville as well, might give you time to set up lifting in one..

Here is my e-mail.....give me a yell, we might could even meet up for a training session at Cell Block or at one of the local Y, if you cant make that. There are planty of meets coming up to check out and lift in.....

paulgkey@gmail.com

Look forward to hearin from ya....once you do a meet, you will; be hooked....
    Last edited by bencher8; 05-13-2009 at 04:57 PM.
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    tnathletics2b...your in Nashville right? SPF Nationals is in Nashville May 23 weekend...there will be plenty of good lifting there. Its at the Hotel Preston, right off 40 and briley pkwy....If you just wanted to watch one, you should check that out. We are competing June 20 in cookeville as well, might give you time to set up lifting in one..

Here is my e-mail.....give me a yell, we might could even meet up for a training session at Cell Block or at one of the local Y, if you cant make that. There are planty of meets coming up to check out and lift in.....

paulgkey@gmail.com

Look forward to hearin from ya....once you do a meet, you will; be hooked....

Yea, there'll a good crowd @ SPF Nationals....and I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to train w/paul!!!
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

You guys are getting me pumped... I'll go watch one to see how it goes, then I am definitely in!
    That's not a bad idea, I went to a small local meet before I competed just to see how everything was run and get a feel for the atmosphere.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Wannabebig Member
    What these guys are saying is true. I have competed in two meets and have to say that, as a competitor, I was welcomed with open arms. I had guys with 2200 totals bending over backwards to give me advice, help me into my gear, help me get warmed up, etc. You WILL NOT experience that if you go and watch...you only get that if you step up.

I cannot speak more highly of the folks I have met at these meets. Even when their meet was not going according to plan, they were still there giving me encouragement and advice. Heck, I even had a guy who was coaching someone else, come out of the audience and wrap my knees for squat...all three lifts! That kinda says it all to me.

As far as what your numbers need to be I have a simple answer. I have been doing this sport for way to long. But when you step on the platform there is one person and one person only you should be focussing on beating. That person is yourself. Keep focussed on your improvements and don't focuss on what everyone else is doing. If you set goals and meet them you are a winner! If you set goals and miss them you should know what you need to focus more on. Meeting goals is great missing goals suck but can be a very good learning tool.

Just read the I may go watch post. Dude that is lame! If you want to compeat compete. If your a fan thats cool but wanna bees are just that. Well unless the wanna be is a hot ass chick. Seriously dude get your feet wet and do your first meet. Hook up w bencher8 he has a lot of exsperience and has been around the game forever!

Haha this is great! I need to start working up to new maxes so I can know what to try at a meet...

If you don't want to compete, and at the same time don't wanna be a giant vagina and watch, see if you could volunteer as a spotter or putting weights on.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    don't wanna be a giant vagina and watch
    I really don't see the issue in taking an hour on a Saturday to just check out a local meet and see what it's like.
    My Training Log

Just read the I may go watch post. Dude that is lame! If you want to compeat compete. If your a fan thats cool but wanna bees are just that.
    same time don't wanna be a giant vagina and watch
    A goal of mine is "Never be a giant vagina." That goal hangs on my desk at work. So thanks for the suggestion.

I'm a fan as well as a competitor- it would be a blast for me to go watch. Kind of like going to see a MLB or NBA game and watching ballplayers who are better than you and admiring the skills.

The competition in Nashville is perfect because that is where my family lives and I can see them over Memorial Day Weekend and have a blast at a sporting event.

I'll do one. So peace brothers! That's why I asked the dang question to begin with!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    If you don't want to compete, and at the same time don't wanna be a giant vagina and watch, see if you could volunteer as a spotter or putting weights on.
    I would not recomend this! Just do a meet! Its a lot more work to be a spotter and a loader.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    I would not recomend this! Just do a meet! Its a lot more work to be a spotter and a loader.
    Being a loader and spotter isn't for the weak at heart I did it for 6 straight hours at the May 9 Ky State and had trouble walking the next day
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY