The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Plank Progressions for Killer Abs

Plank Progressions for Killer Abs by Nick Tumminello.

You are putting together your “beach body” program and trying to find that perfect movement to really set off your midsection, but have grown tired of endless crunches…

Well there is one movement that has been proven effective in martial arts and athletics for years. Are you curious now?

It is as simple as “planks”. This article will tell you everything that there is to know about planks including advanced variations for those who are ready to take things up a notch.

Enjoy and discuss. Nick should be about to answer any questions
    Last edited by Joe Black; 05-14-2009 at 05:32 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Planks

Not sure if I should be posting this or not but it is a good article to read about planks. I'm currently a trainer and I dont have any of my clients do planks anymore for some of the reasons in this article. This came from Elitefts.com!

elitefts.com/documents/plank_exercises.htm

For some reason it wouldn't let me put the actual link so just copy and paste that in your web browser.
    Last edited by Jeff Garvin; 05-14-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    26 - 6'0"@183lbs http://www.youtube.com/user/Droll6683
    Squat - 295lbs
    Bench - 240lbs
    Deadlift - 430lbs
    Total: 965lbs

"If you lift Mickey Mouse poundage’s, all you’re going to get is a Mickey Mouse body." -Stuart McRobert
    "I know the true strength of a man is not in how much he can lift but how high he can lift others." -Dave Tate
    SFW!

There are two sides to every argument. In my opinion Dr Yessis could have done a better job at explaining his points. They were too general and could have been easily debated.

At the end of the day, you need to look at exercises and the context that you put them into. Planks may be 'bad" in some cases where in others they are a suitable exercise.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig New Member

I Disagree

Hello,

First off, thanks for taking the time to read the article and posting on this forum. I enjoyed reading the EliteFTS article on plank training but have to disagree on many counts.

I'm currently away on vacation and unable to get into my physical therapy texts to post some quotes that back up my article.

I return home on the 24th and plan on writing an in depth reply of why I feel that the comments made in the EliteFTS article are incorrect.

Coach N

Nick,

I liked the progression series, I will definitely give it a try!

Question: what about adding plates to your back in the traditional plank (or plank with elevated feet)? Do you suggest this for those that can hold the plank easily for 2 minutes or so?

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Looks like a good way to switch things up for your core training, or to add another movement to the arsenal.

I personally have only done them a few times but some of the variations are quite tough - also a good exercise for "mental training".
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Looks like a good way to switch things up for your core training, or to add another movement to the arsenal.

I personally have only done them a few times but some of the variations are quite tough - also a good exercise for "mental training".
    ^^
    I still like to stick to basic weighted resistances, but some variety can't hurt.

Australia - Where the women really go down under!

fun

looks like fun, will be trying these in my next session.
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

Wannabebig New Member

Defending the Abs Plank

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Garvin View Post
    Not sure if I should be posting this or not but it is a good article to read about planks. I'm currently a trainer and I dont have any of my clients do planks anymore for some of the reasons in this article. This came from Elitefts.com!

elitefts.com/documents/plank_exercises.htm

For some reason it wouldn't let me put the actual link so just copy and paste that in your web browser.
    I'm back from vacation and just did an entire Blog post about why I disagree with DR. Yessis's article. My reply turned out be be fairly extensive so I will be continuing it on another new post later this week.

The post is titled "Defending the Abs Plank"

Its located at NickTumminello.com

great article. why should planks not be done for over 1minute?

Good stuff with the progression. Im going to the throw that into my workout today and see how it pans out.
    Goal:190lbs @ 10% bf by 2011
    Current Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 184
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

I've been doing side planks for 3 weeks now - started off with 3 sets of 30 secs and have worked my way up to 40 secs - 45 secs next week!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    Great article...definatly going to include this in my routine j

Wannabebig Member
    If Im doing SS and trying to bulk up. How often should I do planks? Daily?

Wannabebig Member
    hey just an idea i dont have time to read the plank text so im sorry if it is already mentioned!

instead of adding weights, add instability? i have done it a few times on 2 upturned half exercise balls, u know the ones i mean with the hard bottom and curved inflatable top? anwyay it makes it a real killer, elbows on one feet on the other enjoy it, let me know what u recon too!

Wannabebig New Member
    I have a question for anyone. For knee problems, I've been doing planks for the last four months, 1.5 minutes two reps, on each side and front. All good. But lately, my elbow s are hurting from doing these *I do elbow planks* and it's because they're too bony. Besides increasing padding, does anyone know of other exercises I could do as a progression or alternative to planks while I wait for my elbows to calm down??? Thanks so much.

Besides increasing padding, does anyone know of other exercises I could do as a progression or alternative to planks while I wait for my elbows to calm down??? Thanks so much.
    http://nicktumminello.com/2010/05/pa...ise-variation/

Yet another long-buried thread gets the Frankenstein treatment...
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis