The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your little rituals.

We all have them. I certainly beleive they are curcial. To me the lift starts a few minutes before you touch the bar. We all know how important the mental aspect is, and physical rituals are a well linked part of that.

For me, I have several depending on the lift. Generally, if it's a lift on the floor I will go to the right side of the bar, squat down, grab the bar on either side of the plates and tap it with my forehead. I do the same for squats as well. I also slam my feet twice before big O lifts and I chalk my hands in generally the same fashion... block around the thumb, scoop of powder with the right to the left hand, rub it in, clap, and roll!

So what are yours? Any real peculiar ones?
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I channel Zippy.

if it's for a squat, i grab the bar where my hands should be and close my eyes for a second. I try to picture something that gets me angry, once i have that picture i get under the bar, take a few deep breaths, try and re visualize the picture then do it.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

ďPersistence Persistence.Ē - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I don't really have any rituals, but on most of max effort attempts I'll skip through my iPod shuffle for what seems like forever searching for just the right song.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Banned
    I never step over a deadlift bar or under a squat bar from the front. I always approach them from the back.

When I squat, I grab the bar, while standing in front of it where my hands would be when I'm squatting. I extend my arms to full extension then I get down in a catchers position with my arms still on the bar and stare at myself... I usually call myself not so nice names and then it's go time...

That's really my only ritual...
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I tell my spotter to stay tight on top sets.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Teenage Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    if it's for a squat, i grab the bar where my hands should be and close my eyes for a second. I try to picture something that gets me angry, once i have that picture i get under the bar, take a few deep breaths, try and re visualize the picture then do it.
    I used to do that in back days when I first joined a gym last September. Thought of things that pissed me off to no end and put on battery by metallica and I just flew through sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    on most of max effort attempts I'll skip through my iPod shuffle for what seems like forever searching for just the right song.
    haaaah I do that.

I'll usually visualize making the lift before I go for it. I try and block out everything else thats going on around me, the room usually feels almost silent before I go for a big lift. I usually don't get pissed off for anything... just.. Intense I suppose. My lifting buddies always tell me I put on a real "serious" face XD XD
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Habingus
    I urinated between every attempt at my meet. I pee a ton.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

i am an extremely calm lifter. i dont get fired up or pissed at the bar. the only ritual i have is getting my breathing right.
    750/425/625/1800 at SPF Georgia State meet on 8/07/10
    Started Powerlifting: September 08
    Phillipians 4:13
    Pslams 23:4

Jeff McVicar tells the best ritual stories! He even got a so called pre meet ritual of mine posted all over a magazine.

Before squats I have gotten into this habit of clapping real loud about three times, then I get under and slam the bar against my traps twice then I'm off.

on most of max effort attempts I'll skip through my iPod shuffle for what seems like forever searching for just the right song.
    I do ^^^ a lot, too. Usually end up on Coming Undone by Korn. Awesome beat for lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    Jeff McVicar tells the best ritual stories! He even got a so called pre meet ritual of mine posted all over a magazine.
    Was that in Hustler or Bear Magazine?

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

most of max effort attempts I'll skip through my iPod shuffle for what seems like forever searching for just the right song.
    I never step over a deadlift bar or under a squat bar from the front. I always approach them from the back.

That's me, as well.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Was that in Hustler or Bear Magazine?
    Haha funny funny. Actually it was a suppliment magazine but for the life of me I can't remember it. Goto mcvicar's site and read the write up from the Fit Expo. Good read!

For squatting, I grab the bar in the same spot as where I will be holding it for the lift. I then bang my chest up against the bar a few times to check and make sure I'm centered. I stare in the mirror and breathe kinda heavily to kinda psyche myself up while doing this. I then get down real low, so I know that my knees are still working and I have the flexibility to make it all the way down (even though I just got done doing a bunch of warmup sets, I do this anyway). I then spend about 30 seconds finding the proper position for the bar to rest on my back, by sliding it up and down my back. Once I find the sweet spot, I take a deep breath, lift the bar up, and step into postion, and then it's on.

I have one of these types of "rituals" for every heavy lift I do basically, but squatting is the most intricate one.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    I spend 2-3 minutes petrified of the weight and pace around a lot nervously then I finally summon the balls to get on with the lift.
    Last edited by AJ_H; 05-14-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

I always "spin my wheels" before a max DL attempt at least 2-3 times per foot. I then squat down w/ my shins against the bar and dip down twice then pull / explode on the third dip...

Wannabebig New Member
    I let out a couple short yells or scream a coaching cue! Kinda dumb but it works...

Its pretty much becomming a ritual for me to do something super stupid about a 2 weeks before a meet, resulting in bruises, some kind of laceration, and generally bleeding. Last meet, i was hotshotting in a golf cart at work, jumping the railroad track, lost control of it and almost put it into the lake. Then in a panic, I picked up the cart and pullled it out of the bushes, straining my rhomboids and left trap. I did fine in the meet, but it was dumb.

Last night I fell down the stairs carrying a bar out to my truck. I've got all kinds of nice bruises and aches now. I also feel stupid.....

At the meet, I get very, very ritualistic. Part of it is becuase I'm diabetic, I need to keep my blood glucose levels in tight control at the meet. If they drop, I'm done. So you'll see me doing things like checking blood sugars over and over, rolling and rerolling knee wraps, wrapping and rewraping wrist wraps. I always put on my left knee wrap first. i put my left foot under the bar first. I grab the bar when benching with my right hand. I always readjust my right foot. Ammonia goes behind my right ear.

Jeeze, rereading this I sound like I've got OCD....
    Last edited by JK1; 05-15-2009 at 08:23 AM.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

At the corner of 1st & 1st getting there's Avatar
    For all 3 lifts I usually spend a minute or so going through my ipod trying to find the best song to lift with, i.e. a song that makes babies cry, or my ears bleed, then I do my set.

Video

This is the headbang thing I'm talking about.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    I do the same thing, but I never really thought of it as a ritual, but more as respect for the weight ( that probably sounds really pathetic, lol ).

This song does it for me for bench

Video

or this for Squat or DL

Video
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total