Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box Squats *VIDEO*

Box Squats *VIDEO* New Video Added

I have been training with mostly gear for the past few years and have started training raw the past few months. This is my heaviest weight I've used for raw squats and will try a single in a few weeks. Any advice on raw training is welcome.
    Video
    Last edited by Captain_Crunch; 05-18-2009 at 04:15 PM.

****ing beast! Great effort, dude!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Banned
    strong posterior chain dude.

I'd really recommend squatting to a much lower box, but that is still quite strong

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wow. Very inspiring. Glad tomorrow is de lower day
    750/425/625/1800 at SPF Georgia State meet on 8/07/10
    Started Powerlifting: September 08
    Phillipians 4:13
    Pslams 23:4

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I'd really recommend squatting to a much lower box, but that is still quite strong
    This - especially if you're competing raw. It's easy to cut it high if you don't have the feel for it.

Great effort though man!

I know the box is high it's 16". I wanted to start at 16" just to get used to the stress on the hips with the higher box. Will eventually work down to 15" and then 14".

Beastly stuff man!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Crunch View Post
    I know the box is high it's 16". I wanted to start at 16" just to get used to the stress on the hips with the higher box. Will eventually work down to 15" and then 14".
    I wouldn't do that.

Just go straight to the 14" box. It'll take you a few weeks to get the hang of that low of a box. Trust me, your hips are going to be all over the place.

Going heavy off higher boxes (for raw lifters) only stresses your hips out earlier because of the much higher weight you are using.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I wouldn't do that.

Just go straight to the 14" box. It'll take you a few weeks to get the hang of that low of a box. Trust me, your hips are going to be all over the place.

Going heavy off higher boxes (for raw lifters) only stresses your hips out earlier because of the much higher weight you are using.
    Thanks for the advice Travis. Makes sense when I think about it. I'll go straight to the 14" tomorrow. Set's of 10 - 15 though so the weight will be down on 2 counts.

Looked Strong!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I agree with Travis, and great lifting!

Wannabebig Member
    what type of mono setup is that?

Quote Originally Posted by themayor View Post
    what type of mono setup is that?
    It is home made out of stainless steel. Loosely based on the Crepinsek safety power hooks. It can bolt into any rack with 2" hole spacing.
    Last edited by Captain_Crunch; 05-17-2009 at 07:46 PM.

No doubt very strong. I agree with Travis all the way. Also, watch that wide stance raw. You can really mess up your IT bands. I don't know how well box squats translate into full raw squats. Maybe someone with more experience on the subject can chime in.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    No doubt very strong. I agree with Travis all the way. Also, watch that wide stance raw. You can really mess up your IT bands. I don't know how well box squats translate into full raw squats. Maybe someone with more experience on the subject can chime in.
    As long as your using the box as more of a guide and not relaxing onto the box they work pretty well.

Banned
    Nice work man.

The advice you have been given is the reason I love this board. Some of the best lifters in the world taking time out of their day to help a fellow lifter... /WBB/ = awesome
    Last edited by WillNoble; 05-17-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    As long as your using the box as more of a guide and not relaxing onto the box they work pretty well.
    Thanks Ben. I'll try this tomorrow.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Being a current raw lifter and just adding box squats to my training, could you and others remark a bit on this?

Other questions for raw box squatting:

1. Depth. How far below parallel should one aim?
    2. Stance seems obvious, don't go very wide. Shoulderwidth or thereabouts, yes?
    3. You mentioned using the box as a depth gauge. I'm assuming touch and go rather than truly sitting on the box? Why the difference? All I've read from Louie et al says breaking the eccentric/concentric is the reason for box squatting. Does this not apply when not wearing a squat suit?
    4. Trying not to overthink here, but should the shins still be beyond vertical? I guess the question would more be how far back should a raw box squatter be sitting?

I appreciate any responses and thank everyone in advance.

Banned
    why is going wide bad for raw lifters? I mean.... even in gear its gotta be bad, if in fact its messing up hips for raw. I mean...800 raw and 1200 geared, either way wide would mess them up, but why?
    Last edited by Jesse Hernandez; 05-18-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    why is going wide bad for raw lifters? I mean.... even in gear its gotta be bad, if in fact its messing up hips for raw. I mean...800 raw and 1200 geared, either way wide would mess them up, but why?
    I don't think he meant it's "bad" necessarily, but it can tear up the hips faster without the support of briefs. My stance in briefs and raw are completely different. Just MHO

Right. You can even throw on some very loose briefs for the hip protection, and they won't give you too much on your lifts.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I wish I had the fancy technical reason, but I don't. It just is what it is. Everyone here seems to be in agreement. Perhaps you should do both and come back with your opinion. I guess you were one of those kids who had to touch the stove to find out it was hot.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

No, wide stance doesn't have as much an effect on geared, especially multiply. In fact, that's really the best way to make a suit work for you, pushing your knees way out and standing wide, but raw, you don't have the extra support in your hips

OK first off this guys is a beast! Since Travis and I have already come to the conclusion that we train different I am going to disagree with him.

As for the 16 straight to the 14 I don't see the harm in 16 to 15 then to 14. He stated he was going to do each height a couple weeks. Just like board work it will strengthen his hips at diffent stopping points.

As for the squating wide raw and hip strength. It will definately take is toll on your recovery time. I have been squatting wide raw the last 12 weeks and my hips are sore as hell. But nothing a good recovery plan can't take care of. For me I am doing it becuase at the end of 16 weeks when I start cheeting with equipment I don't want to have to change up my form.