Thread: rock climbing or swimming for cardio?

Wannabebig Member

rock climbing or swimming for cardio?

so i was wanting to add either swimming or rock climbing to liven up cardio i hate running have ever since i had to do it in pe class. from what ive seen on the interent it seems to be pretty good does anyone have personal experience?

I've never done a lot of rock climbing so I don't have a stance on it, but swimming is great. You can also do cardio on the rower, or with weights.
    You might also want to look at doing cardio with weights ... i.e.:
    https://www.enhancedfp.com/sport-spe...alwyn-cosgrove
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-06-2009 at 11:28 PM.

I dont know for sure but Ive never felt aerobically taxed from climbing. It would be interesting to wear a HR monitor while climbing to find out.
    Sarvamangalam!

From my experiences with climbing (indoors) it's not generally an aerobic workout. You can make it one I guess... Find an easy climb and just climb it 5-10 times in a row, but generally no it's more strength oriented.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

It can be cardiovascular but those are generally climbs that are outdoors in an alpine setting. We leap frog pitches when we're going 'fast and light' so you're climbing for 300+ feet at a time. Its still not the greatest cardio though cause then you stop and belay your partner for 300 feet (but even that you're still moving your muscles pulling through and out 300 feet of rope.

You can climb continously if you can find a boulder that you can traverse. We do this for cappilary work (makes denser veins) and go for 30-40 minutes at a time at low intensity for whatever strength level you're at.

I'd say swimming would be better for your goals.

Climb for the fun of it though (and it definitely will tax your muscles anaerobically, ie the dreaded forearm pump!).

Haha forearm pump is the maddest. They just become completely solid after a big climb.

/endthreadjack
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I agree on the rock climbing, not going to be the most productive form of cardio

However, swimming will kick you in the balls for sure. Rowing, dragging the sled, flipping tires, cycling, all can be considered aerobic when done correctly.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym